Squad Injuries Ahead of Ukraine Match

MarkoDevilovich

Nobody is actually missing yet though. Tierney and Gilmour will probably both be named in the squad.
Yeah Patto might too and might get some game time but Tierney and Patterson won't play against Ukraine. Not sure on Gilmour's situation.

I don’t think Gilmour sounds that bad tbf, Smith said yesterday he was at Chelsea being assessed but was not sure if he’d be ok for Sunday - if he’s still even remotely in contention for their Sunday game then he’ll likely be ok for ours.

I expect the squad to be along the lines of:

Goalkeepers - Craig Gordon (Hearts), David Marshall (QPR), Liam Kelly (Motherwell)

Defenders - Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell), Aaron Hickey (Bologna), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Matt Targett (Newcastle), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Jack Hendry (Club Brugge), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Liam Cooper (Leeds), Scott McTominay (Man Utd), Scott McKenna (Nottingham Forest), Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)

Midfielders - Callum McGregor (Celtic), Billy Gilmour (Norwich), Ryan Jack (Rangers), Kenny McLean (Norwich), Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)

Forwards - Lyndon Dykes (QPR), Che Adams (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Jacob Brown (Stoke), Ross Stewart (Sunderland)

That would be 26. Halkett comes in if Tierney misses out. Not sure who the Gilmour replacement would be.

image.thumb.png.d0d850029dacbee8825827395de25f98.png

I put the selection history over the past year before withdrawals and replacements because I think it gives a good idea of who Steve Clarke strongly favors and who are a bit below the selection line (e.g Ross Stewart, John Souttar, Craig Halkett, Anthony Ralston).

I'm interested to see if David Turnbull and Ryan Fraser get recalls and if we select a larger squad of players.

It makes sense to hold a bigger squad for the June camp as a whole. It would allow us to include players in the squad who aren't totally up to speed with the team system and let them familiarise themselves ahead of the Nations League matches as well as cope with the heavy schedule.

Given the short time frame between the squad announcement and the playoff games there isn't time to spend in depth with players training and so I would rather see players involved in those two games that know how we play, have pre-existing relationships with team-mates and ideally have been involved in at least one of the previous two camps - particularly the March camp as it was designed with the June games in mind.

Edited by 2426255

It makes sense to hold a bigger squad for the June camp as a whole. It would allow us to include players in the squad who aren't totally up to speed with the team system and let them familiarise themselves ahead of the Nations League matches as well as cope with the heavy schedule.
Given the short time frame between the squad announcement and the playoff games there isn't time to spend in depth with players training and so I would rather see players involved in those two games that know how we play, have pre-existing relationships with team-mates and ideally have been involved in at least one of the previous two camps - particularly the March camp as it was designed with the June games in mind.
Who would you like added to the March camp (and who dropped)?

51 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Who would you like added to the March camp (and who dropped)?

I don't think there is a case to drop anyone from the original March camp, I'd carry everyone over who is available from March and return Ryan Fraser, David Turnbull and Liam Cooper to the group as they are well placed to help the team immediately. 

I'd consider also adding to the squad from the likes of Ross Stewart, John Souttar or Anthony Ralston - but not at the expense of more established players.

Due to the number of games, short turnaround times and increased length of the camp I'd rather have a few of the less established guys training and participating with the group in case they're needed rather than have them sitting at home on standby. That's what would make sense to me without knowing all the ins and outs.

Edited by 2426255

I don't think there is a case to drop anyone from the original March camp, I'd carry everyone over who is available from March and return Ryan Fraser, David Turnbull and Liam Cooper to the group as they are well placed to help the team immediately. 
I'd consider also adding to the squad from the likes of Ross Stewart, John Souttar or Anthony Ralston - but not at the expense of more established players.
Due to the number of games, short turnaround times and increased length of the camp I'd rather have a few of the less established guys training and participating with the group in case they're needed rather than have them sitting at home on standby. That's what would make sense to me without knowing all the ins and outs.
Tierney and Patterson are gonna need to drop out, and McLean and Gilmour missed out for Norwich today. I think Dean Smith said during the week that McLean will be fine though.

21 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Tierney and Patterson are gonna need to drop out, and McLean and Gilmour missed out for Norwich today. I think Dean Smith said during the week that McLean will be fine though.

Nathan Patterson, Kieran Tierney, Kenny McLean, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Fraser and David Marshall have all finished the season with injury doubts hanging over them, but I don't really know whether they can be involved in any respect as I don't have that kind of information or knowledge so I'm not going to jump to any conclusion. I'd just say they have a question mark over them. 

Darryl Broadfoot, the ex head of comms at the SFA and the guy they wheel out to defend the SFA on anything and everything seemed to suggest on Sportsound today Tierney and Patterson may be similar to Dykes in the March squad where they are injured but will turn up and do everything they can to play.

Squad announcement tomorrow afternoon apparently.

Darryl Broadfoot, the ex head of comms at the SFA and the guy they wheel out to defend the SFA on anything and everything seemed to suggest on Sportsound today Tierney and Patterson may be similar to Dykes in the March squad where they are injured but will turn up and do everything they can to play.
Squad announcement tomorrow afternoon apparently.

Still two weeks until a potential final, we've got to give them every chance.

1 hour ago, CM. said:

Was mentioned on another thread but wonder if Scott Wright may force his way in? Particularly if we go with a bigger squad

It would be a real feather in my cap If Scott Wright gets called up. Right up there with my predictions regarding Steve Clarke turning things round and Billy Gilmour not being world class.

On 05/08/2021 at 10:02, 2426255 said:

Scott Wright will be called up, more a question of when rather than if. Obviously all the Aberdeen fans on this thread are just bitter that he left Aberdeen to progress his career. 

Edited by 2426255

20 hours ago, accies1874 said:

That's why I've given up making firm squad predictions. Without the full picture you're gonna struggle to get it exactly right.