Squad Injuries Ahead of Ukraine Match

MarkoDevilovich

2 or maybe 3 weeks until the squad gets announced. That's how we look at the moment., green = injured, red = played under 1/3 of club minutes since the last international break. Not ideal, but not terrible.

image.png.e5cc825b7b43e350443a934ab1df14fe.png

Stephen O'Donnell returned from injury to play for Motherwell today so is the obvious choice at RWB should Nathan Patterson be out of the picture and John Souttar made it to the bench today for Hearts at Celtic.

Ryan Christie, Lyndon Dykes and Jacob Brown played their final games of the league season and so should be safe from picking up an injury ahead of the June games.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Stephen O'Donnell returned from injury to play for Motherwell today so is the obvious choice at RWB should Nathan Patterson be out of the picture and John Souttar made it to the bench today for Hearts at Celtic.

Ryan Christie, Lyndon Dykes and Jacob Brown played their final games of the league season and so should be safe from picking up an injury ahead of the June games.

Agreed, think O’Donnell will be the RWB, though Hickey has played a big on the right for Bologna this season - so he could be an option as well.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Agreed, think O’Donnell will be the RWB, though Hickey has played a big on the right for Bologna this season - so he could be an option as well.

Both are options in amongst the collection of names including Anthony Ralston, Paul McGinn and James Forrest etc. Stephen O'Donnell and Aaron Hickey were involved in March which was centered around the playoff games, Preparation time at the end of the season will be minimal and that immediately puts them top of my list if Nathan Patterson and Ryan Fraser aren't available.

Stephen O'Donnell knows the role at Scotland and his team-mates. It takes time to build up such relationships and so Aaron Hickey would introduce some unpredictability to the team. Risk/Reward, we have seen him make a similar call previously with Billy Gilmour that worked well.

I’d have Hickey above Ryan Fraser tbh, he’s played that role more recently.

Unless Clarke takes Ralston or someone who naturally plays in that position all the time for me it would be O’Donnell first, Hickey second (when Patterson isn’t available). 

50 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I’d have Hickey above Ryan Fraser tbh, he’s played that role more recently.

Unless Clarke takes Ralston or someone who naturally plays in that position all the time for me it would be O’Donnell first, Hickey second (when Patterson isn’t available). 

Aaron Hickey was involved in the March preparations centered around the playoff games, Ryan Fraser was not. Ryan Fraser has more experience playing the RWB role with Scotland than Aaron Hickey. It's risk/reward and maybe a bit of horses for courses depending on Steve Clarkes game-plan. 

My personal preference for the first two matches is to start players who've been playing within the system consistently since Euro 2020 and know their team-mates w.r.t the runs they make and the positions they take up etc. I haven't watched Aaron Hickey enough to know the reward for the risk of starting a newcomer to the squad.

I think there are fair arguments for any of Ryan Fraser, Stephen O'Donnell, Nathan Patterson or Aaron Hickey to start. I admit I have an inclination towards Ryan Fraser. 😁

O’Donnell is the obvious choice for me. He’s rarely let us down in the big games. 

As things stand I’d be lining up as follows against Ukraine:

Gordon

McTominay-Hanley-McKenna

O’Donnell-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn

Adams-Dykes

Robertson not even in the Liverpool squad last night is concerning to say the least 

49 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Just given ‘the night off’ apparently.

To be honest he plays a lot of football and so if he is maybe burning out or a bit then giving him a break seems like it could be good management especially with other important games coming up.

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Seems strange to give Robertson "a night off' for a match that could have been fatal for their title chances had they lost.  Either an injury or Klopp suddenly not rating him anymore !

Or because they’ve got the FA Cup final on Saturday and CL final coming up too, and Tsimikas is more than good enough to help them beat Aston Villa 

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Seems strange to give Robertson "a night off' for a match that could have been fatal for their title chances had they lost.  Either an injury or Klopp suddenly not rating him anymore !

f**k me people love to overreact

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Aye, Klopp all of a sudden doesn’t rate the man who’s appeared in and been a key player in almost every game the past 4 seasons.

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

As things stand I’d be lining up

That team looks well geared for physical, route one football. I hope that isn't our approach.

They are really good with the ball from what ive seen. If we don't keep the ball well this will be Croatia part 2.

SOD shouldn't be near the squad anymore. He was rubbish going forward against Austria in the Vienna qualifiers and was the rock on which all our attacks on that side foundered. He was utter garbage against the Czechs, but very good against England. He has put in some good performances for us defensively, but going forward against the Ukrainians he'll be utter guff.

I would rather have Hickey.