Queens v Morton

Guest Flash
37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well it's been 10 years since we've managed to keep 4 clean sheets in a row so that's something to aim for this weekend.

For as shit as we were at Cappielow we really should have taken at least a point if not for a minute of implosion so there is a wee bit of confidence going into this. It's a massive game for us. It's arguably one of the easier fixtures we have left so we need to be taking 3 points. A win would drag Morton back into the mix as well.

Not sure about that. In terms of form over the last 6, 8 and 10 games plus the last 4 away games (for teams we’ll play at home) this is  one of the hardest games we have left and probably the most difficult home game. I also don’t think Morton will finish in the bottom 2 regardless of the result on Saturday, unless they collapse back into the form they had under Gus, which doesn’t look likely.
Eta if Queens don’t score, it will be the first time they’ve ever failed to score in 5 consecutive home league games. They’ve equalled the current record of 4 which has only been done twice before - in 2006 and 1973.

Edited by Flash

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

So, it isn’t an “absolute must-not-lose”, it’s actually an absolute “must win”?  Everything in your world is so black and white, you should be a Pars or Smurn fan……….          😁    (sits back and awaits inevitable rid dot - at least it’ll add a tiny bit of colour to your life   😜)

Bet it’s a draw.

Strange post to take issue with… he’s given you two very clear contexts within which to assess this game: 1. a relegation battle; 2. a (highly unlikely) push for the play-offs.

That said, I happen to think it is a ‘must not lose’, because losing throws them a life-line we thought was gone… whereas even a draw makes it highly unlikely that they can catch us (they’d be eight points behind with only nine to play).

Best way to avoid relegation, as I’ve said before, is to make sure you’re never really in a relegation battle. Sir Doug has hauled us out of it, so it makes everything ten times harder if we get sucked back in at this stage.

Another draw will actually do fine here (win would be nice, but is only critical, as VT says, if you’re lured into thinking about play-offs).

If it weren't for a minute of not bothering to put pressure on a shot, then you'd have got what you deserved over ninety minutes that day - which was f**k all. 
I'm sure it'll be a very different prospect on Saturday though, and our previous two performances at Palmerston this season were hugely disappointing to say the least. 
Queens got Gus sacked and we got Johnston sacked so that seems a reasonable trade though.

Did Gus not walk out after we drew with you at Cappielow? Or did he last another week before leaving?

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did Gus not walk out after we drew with you at Cappielow? Or did he last another week before leaving?

Yes but it was the defeat to Queens in the Challenge Cup the previous midweek that did for him. He was straight out the door after the Ayr game because he knew it was done.

Cue lots of mewling from his handful of fanboys that it was wrong and harsh to sack him because we were outside the relegation spots at 5 that day - they've disappeared like snow off a dyke since a real manager was appointed. 

Yes but it was the defeat to Queens in the Challenge Cup the previous midweek that did for him. He was straight out the door after the Ayr game because he knew it was done.
Cue lots of mewling from his handful of fanboys that it was wrong and harsh to sack him because we were outside the relegation spots at 5 that day - they've disappeared like snow off a dyke since a real manager was appointed. 

Ah okay, I didn’t know that.

Tbh at that stage of the season it should’ve been a sackable offence if you weren’t able to take 3 points off us.

4 hours ago, cappiecat said:

Both of VT's highlighted comments were qualified with logical reasoning which everyone can read and understand.

Everyone bar you apparently.

Oooh, yet another post showing your sense of humour is still lacking. 👍

4 hours ago, virginton said:

It's not a must-win, must-not-lose or any other sort of imperative to avoid relegation this season, you imbecile. 

Care to read that post back again, then edit it so that it makes some sense? 🤪

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well it's been 10 years since we've managed to keep 4 clean sheets in a row so that's something to aim for this weekend.

For as shit as we were at Cappielow we really should have taken at least a point if not for a minute of implosion so there is a wee bit of confidence going into this. It's a massive game for us. It's arguably one of the easier fixtures we have left so we need to be taking 3 points. A win would drag Morton back into the mix as well.

Err, no, apparently it wouldn’t, because vt says so. Well, sort of.   🤣

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ah okay, I didn’t know that.

Tbh at that stage of the season it should’ve been a sackable offence if you weren’t able to take 3 points off us.

You didn’t know that because it isn’t true.

A defeat in the diddy cup had nothing to do with MacPherson getting bumped; chucking away a lead to a poor Ayr team was one rotten result too many, even for a board that gave him every chance to turn it round.

He had quite clearly been given an ultimatum before the Ayr game that failing to win meant he'd be sacked, which is why he was gone within minutes of the final whistle.

Would he have had that ultimatum if it hadn't been for the shambolic nature of the defeat at Queen of the South and the resultant entirely justified hounding from the fans at full time that night, having instead won that game? Impossible to say.

Edited by Dunning1874

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

A defeat in the diddy cup had nothing to do with MacPherson getting bumped; chucking away a lead to a poor Ayr team was one rotten result too many, even for a board that gave him every chance to turn it round.

It was allegedly decided after the midweek QoS defeat that that was enough and that he would be punted after the Ayr game on the Saturday regardless of the result.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

How could the board have convened to debate and pass judgment after the Ayr result, when McPherson was already literally out the door by 5pm? 

McPherson's fate was sealed before the match, and rightly so given the monumental nick of our performance that midweek against a Queen of the South side with no fit, senior centre backs. 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

He had quite clearly been given an ultimatum before the Ayr game that failing to win meant he'd be sacked, which is why he was gone within minutes of the final whistle.

Would he have had that ultimatum if it hadn't been for the shambolic nature of the defeat at Queen of the South and the resultant entirely justified hounding from the fans at full time that night, having instead won that game? Impossible to say.

Correct.

On the second point, it’s pretty clear his abysmal league record led to the ultimatum more than performance in the diddy cup.

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

It was allegedly decided after the midweek QoS defeat that that was enough and that he would be punted after the Ayr game on the Saturday regardless of the result.

Makes no sense, on three grounds. 1. That game did not matter. 2. If the decision was ‘taken’, why not punt him right away? 3. And what happens if we then scud Ayr 4-0?

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

How could the board have convened to debate and pass judgment after the Ayr result, when McPherson was already literally out the door by 5pm? 

McPherson's fate was sealed before the match, and rightly so given the monumental nick of our performance that midweek against a Queen of the South side with no fit, senior centre backs. 

See above. It was his last chance. The decision was effectively confirmed before the final whistle (before our equaliser in fact); and he certainly knew it.

I’ll add that he would have gone earlier if Ugwu hadn’t equalised against Hamilton in the 97th minute, followed by a win against Dunfermline. 

Looks like McGrory may be out for this one.  Nditi is available but it would be harsh dropping O'Connor or East after 3 clean sheets in a row.  

Rae

Johnston / O'Connor / East / Cooper

Gibson / Gordon / Todd / Fitzpatrick

Paton / Cameron

would do me.  Fitzpatrick and Gibson are pretty much interchangeable on the right or left in that line-up, but I feel Cooper offers more defensive protection behind Fitzy than Johnston.  Hopefully we'll see McKechnie at some point in the game.

If Debayo and Joseph are kept as far away from the pitch as possible for the full 90 mins we could get a decent result tomorrow🤞

Edited by Slipmat

21 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Makes no sense, on three grounds. 1. That game did not matter. 2. If the decision was ‘taken’, why not punt him right away? 3. And what happens if we then scud Ayr 4-0?

The fixture itself was largely irrelevant, but what was important at the time was the performance - and it was woeful.  Therefore the decision was made that he was going.

As for your second and third questions, don't ask me; I'm not on the board, and I wouldn't have handed him a two year deal in the first place

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Queen of the South with three clean sheets in three under Gibson and we've only conceded two in our last five. Could we see a game between these teams that isn't decided by calamitous defending for once?

Deep down I suspect you really know the answer to your question. 🫤

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

The fixture itself was largely irrelevant, but what was important at the time was the performance - and it was woeful.  Therefore the decision was made that he was going.

As for your second and third questions, don't ask me; I'm not on the board, and I wouldn't have handed him a two year deal in the first place

You must know, deep down, that none of that makes sense (apart from the bit about not giving him a two-year deal obvs)?

Anyway, let’s burst Wullie Gibson’s bubble before QoS get any daft ideas about staying up.

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You must know, deep down, that none of that makes sense (apart from the bit about not giving him a two-year deal obvs)?

Anyway, let’s burst Wullie Gibson’s bubble before QoS get any daft ideas about staying up.

Personally I agree that the timing of his bagging was strange. I think he should've been gone before that game in the diddy cup against Queens and that we should've had someone lined up to step in who then had that game as a free hit before the important stuff picked up again with the league games.

Anyway, onward and upward. Hopefully. 😁

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Just ... like ... Gonnae no dae that ... please ...