Queens v Morton

Question for the Ton fans here ... Lewis Strapp's long throws are a real weapon and tough to defend.  But I just wonder if its all too predictable and should they mix it up a bit and go short now and again?  Hope to hell I haven't jinxed this.

2 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

Ian McCal just sat himself in front of us for the second half. I think he's called in on the way back from getting a few bags of sand to take back up the road.

Hope you can still see past his head.

Just now, Otis Blue said:

Question for the Ton fans here ... Lewis Strapp's long throws are a real weapon and tough to defend.  But I just wonder if its all too predictable and should they mix it up a bit and go short now and again?  Hope to hell I haven't jinxed this.

Against Raith we were launching long throw after long throw in when chasing the equaliser, then took one quickly for Strapp to swing a cross in instead and scored. It can catch teams out and be very effective from second balls, but if a defence is soaking it up comfortably for an hour you don't expect it to suddenly start working.

This is more like the Morton we witnessed under Gus, must admit thought they were really poor at Cappielow but two minutes of madness cost us. The difference in our performance in those few weeks is night and day. Another great victory, three in 7 days and possibly 4 clean sheets in a row. 

The goals we've conceded have been such gifts today. We just haven't been at the races, in fact I think you could probably say we haven't been at the races since Dougie started his touchline ban and, I think more importantly, Lyon dropped out of the team.

Easily the worst performance since Dougie came in. No pass marks today for anyone 

Beaten to every ball, looked disjointed all over the park. A completely unacceptable performance and the players should be ashamed.

Queens wanted it more and deserved it in the end - no complaints from that perspective  

Some great shifts put in today.  The back line were solid.  Thought Johnston did some great stuff. Paton worked his socks off and Cameron worked hard but his first touch isn't great.  Not sure what to make of Soares Junior, I think I like the guy - there's something unpredictable about him when he's on the ball, you just don't know what will happen - reminds me a bit of Ted McMinn but without the same level of ball control.  He certainly un-nerves the back line.  I even saw Gordon doing some work in the second half.

Morton started well but fell away poorly - yet they've been the form team in this league last few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

The goals we've conceded have been such gifts today. We just haven't been at the races, in fact I think you could probably say we haven't been at the races since Dougie started his touchline ban and, I think more importantly, Lyon dropped out of the team.

That's it. Lyon is the best central midfielder at the club and the one who makes the team tick. Without him performances drop and you could take any one of that midfield three out for him and see a distinct improvement.

That said, I would drop all three of the midfield starters today. Jacobs, Lyon and McGrattan should be the midfield three next week.

That could easily have ended up five or six. The second half was a rolling disaster with the back three trying to lay goals on a plate, and 5-0 would genuinely have been a fair reflection of the balance of play.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

(Not watching today so not based on that) He's truly pish. Hopefully he scores another rocket. Other than that up at Raith he's contributed nothing.

I thought Gordon put in a great shift, second half anyway. Winning tackles, spraying some good passes about and pushing forward to attack. Ok, maybe not the best opposition to judge him against but he did fine imo. He's better than Liddle anyway. As I say you've got to judge performances against the standard of opposition but I thought once we withstood a few early scares there were no passengers today.