Airdrie v Clyde - 26/2/22

Fears not realised, that was an enjoyable 45 minutes, Splaine has had the freedom of the pitch playing off Agnew.

Airdrie haven't solved us going man for man in midfield yet, I wonder if they might go 352 or 451. If our centre halves weren't powderpuff I'd be reasonably confident.

Looks like Afolabi might turn out to be another Gallagher type striker… not very good. We totally struggled for composure in the final third and the midfield was uncharacteristically absent. 

Right enough I am here for Murray going all out attack, five strikers and two defenders left on the pitch in last five or six mins.

5 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Clyde are comfortably one of the worst sides we’ve come across this season, possibly with the exception of East Fife. No idea how they’ve managed to maintain a mid table position. They have been David Goodwillie and ten other c*nts for the past few season, so fully expect them to drop down the league like a stone now they’re just 11 other c*nts.

Then again they did manage to steal a point out our last game when it really should have been about 5-0 so you never know.

It’s good to see Smith and Gabby are back. Hopefully Smith is fit to start as he’s become so important to how we play.

I’d go:

Currie

Watson - Kerr - Fordyce - Paterson

Frizzell - McCabe - McGill

Easton

Gallagher - Smith

However I fully expect to see Agnew in from the start.

My prediction: 3-1 to the Diamonds emoji3532.png

This aged well.

Pretty abysmal today. We never got going and didn’t take our chances at all. Big John doesn’t have a right foot it seems. 

It has to be said though, that refereeing was atrocious. Inconsistent and gutless. Worst I’ve seen in a long long long time. 

Got to give it to Clyde though. Their junior level football works a treat and the time wasting was spectacular. They clung on for dear life in the second half. Hope the Willy Wee or whatever they’re nicknamed had a ball.

Nothing lost today with cove drawing but that was a big chance. 

16 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Spectacular tears from the above. Airdrie not only incapable of beating a Junior level outfit, but noted for never, ever running the clock down. Enjoy League 1 next season, and the season after that, and then the one after that, and so on.

Nick of this lol.

Yous haven’t even touched a playoff position in years 😂 Filthy club. 

Edited by Diamond1924

Poor performance from us and if I’m being completely honest I wasn’t convinced by either of our penalty shouts, though that might change when I see them back. That doesn’t vindicate the ref though, who I thought had a shocker. It’s frustrating to watch a team stop play with excessive fouling and waste time but I don’t blame Clyde for that whatsoever, the ref let it happen unpunished most of the time and teams have to grind out results however they can. I think Clyde even had one instance to be frustrated with the ref, after he got in the way of our attack we scored from the drop ball restart, which obviously happened because of the ref’s inability to get out the way. Really disappointing to drop points when Cove also drew, but fair play to Clyde because that game was far less one-sided in our favour than the 2-1 and 2-2 earlier or the two hidings we dished out against them last season. I know I focused on the time-wasting and persistent fouling to frustrate us, but there was a spell in the first half when they were absolutely on top and they looked a threat on the break as well. Possibly a better team without Goodwillie?

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

Frustrating result today, especially with Cove dropping points. No complaints about the result though, a draw was fair overall. 

Clyde started really well and were everything that the Clyde team we played at home earlier in the season weren’t. They were aggressive, pressing really high and never allowed us to get into our usual passing game. They didn’t create too many chances, Jamieson took his goal well and really should have scored a second but other than that Currie didn’t have too many saves to make. We never really got to grips with their midfield though, Easton was anonymous and Scott McGill had his worst game in midfield. To be honest, outside of Montrose and Cove that was probably the best performance against Airdrie this season.

Airdrie had enough of the ball in the final third to win it but we also never created enough good chances. We seemed reluctant to shoot at times, preferring to work the ball around the box until we lost it. The goal was very quick thinking from McCabe and Gabby took it well. We scored four against Montrose without playing that well and by all accounts were very poor against Peterhead despite winning, hopefully dropping points this week is a wake up call ahead of a very tough run of games in March.

The ref had a poor game in general, Clyde got away with a lot of niggly fouls in the first half which killed our momentum anytime we broke forward but it was an effective game plan. I think I counted six penalty claims but I’m not convinced any of them were actually penalties. Afolabi’s one was a prime example of not shooting though, through on goal and he decides to run towards the line rather than have a shot. 

Shout out to the Clyde coach for getting sent off for grabbing the ball and refusing to let it to, before looking absolutely shocked when the ref produced a red card. It wasn’t quite Darren Young tripping up Scott Robertson but just a completely needless thing to do.

15 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Nick of this lol.

Yous haven’t even touched a playoff position in years 😂 Filthy club. 

What has become of Clydebank's recent play-off qualifications? Other than blind optimism a few weeks later when you bin half your flops and replace them with the new batch of part-time mercenaries, of course.

50 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Looks like Afolabi might turn out to be another Gallagher type striker… not very good. We totally struggled for composure in the final third and the midfield was uncharacteristically absent. 

Right enough I am here for Murray going all out attack, five strikers and two defenders left on the pitch in last five or six mins.

I thought Afolabi was decent did his job holding the ball up, linking up play that was the issue with Gal he struggled to do it , is Afolabi and Gall the right mix. ??? Up front, not sure.. 

Agree about the midfield, that's a couple of games we have struggled,  Easton is a wonderful player, is he a midfield ball winner though.....he never shirked a tackle or a header,  We need to get a better shape and personnel in there, Agnew , has done well previously but is playing a bit in no man's land just now. ..

A very panicky performance, was a must win,  as a team we struggle to meet expectation,   we need to calm down and let our ability win us games,  that has got us to this position,  No need to change....

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I thought Afolabi was decent did his job holding the ball up, linking up play that was the issue with Gal he struggled to do it , is Afolabi and Gall the right mix. ??? Up front, not sure.. 

Agree about the midfield, that's a couple of games we have struggled,  Easton is a wonderful player, is he a midfield ball winner though.....he never shirked a tackle or a header,  We need to get a better shape and personnel in there, Agnew , has done well previously but is playing a bit in no man's land just now. ..

A very panicky performance, was a must win,  as a team we struggle to meet expectation,   we need to calm down and let our ability win us games,  that has got us to this position,  No need to change....

I thought Afolabi had a decent first half and definitely offers something different, although it was a bit frustrating he never scored because he had at least one very good chance.

I don’t think the midfield’s worked very well since McInroy left, or at least not as well as it had been. I don’t think Murray knows what to do with McCabe and Agnew either, as both seem to be at their best in the same deeper midfield role. A change of shape that lets them play side by side might be our best bet, but that would mean potentially playing Easton or Frizzell in a wide role as it would mean abandoning the diamond formation in favour of a 442 or 4231.