Top 5 One-off Simpsons Characters

Miguel Sanchez

I think the idea for this thread came to me in a dream last night.

5. Patrick Stewart as Number One in "Homer the Great"

d880df97f536cf4275eed13517dba832.jpg

The song is now in your head, isn't it? "Next, the paddling of the swollen ass - with paddles."

4. Rodney Dangerfield as Larry Burns in "Burns, Baby Burns"

Top 10 One-Off Simpsons Characters | TheRichest

"Yale could use an international airport, Mr. Burns." I'm pretty sure in the DVD commentary for this episode the people on the show called him one of the funniest guest stars they ever had and he's certainly the most effortlessly hilarious. At the end of the episode he says "How 'bout it pop, can you love me for what I am?" - this is an ad-lib, the original line was "who I am?" Much hilarity, helped of course by an always perfect delivery.

3. James Woods as himself in "Homer and Apu"

Simpsons Celebrity: James Woods | The simpsons movie, The simpsons show,  Simpson

James Woods might be an awful person but the image of him playing a method actor with a job in the Kwik-E-Mart is almost enough to redeem him in my eyes. That and playing Hades in Hercules. Highlight of the episode is him on the phone to someone while cleaning a microwave, lots of bleeping as he struggles to scrape off melted cheese, followed by "no not you, I was talking to my oven."

2. Albert Brooks as Hank Scorpio in "You Only Move Twice"

Biblioteca pública de Springfield - ¿Quién estaba detrás del Genio Scorpio? Albert  Brooks es un actor, escritor, comediante y director estadounidense. Quien  ya había tenido experiencia poniendole la voz a algunos personajes

I had to include at least one Albert Brooks character. Realistically I could have done five. "I don't expect anything from you except for you to die and be a very cheap funeral" is the kind of line that just stays in my head perpetually. In an alternate universe The Simpsons Movie was Troy McClure trying to stop Hank Scorpio from taking over the world. 

1. Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Bergstrom in "Lisa's Substitute"

Top 10 Cameos in 'The Simpsons' (Round 2) | The simpsons show, The  simpsons, Simpson

"Dustin Hoffman, Michael Jackson, of course they didn't use their real names but you could tell it was them!" I learned today that the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons isn't available to stream. What a world. What a world two where one of the most successful TV shows ever is only in its second year and a reputable actor has a guest appearance and wants to be listed as "Sam Etic" in the credits. 

This episode was on Channel 4 at the weekend which is probably what put the idea for this thread in my head. It's been a long time since I've watched The Simpsons and I had forgotten how emotional and tender it could be, especially in the early days, and this probably still stands as the best example of that.