Free Agency 2022

lichtie23

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

The entire AFC has just clinched a playoff spot.

This is funny because it's not really that far off the mark.

I think it's inevitable the Jets, Jags, and Texans will all stink again, but depending what happens with the QB's in Cleveland and Indi, you could theoretically see every other team besides those three making a playoff run. It wasn't that different a scenario in 2021, but I think it's a sign of how much of a muchness the AFC is rather than it just being full of extremely strong teams. I still think the Bengals are the weakest AFC Champion since the 1994 Chargers.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:
10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:
Davante Adams to the Raiders, the AFC West is some kind of bonkers arms race. 

For less than the Packers offered him. Always his dream to play for the Raiders apparently.

I think it’s more the Carr link than the Raiders. They were college teammates and have stayed very close since then.

It is pretty funny that anyone would choose Derek Carr over Aaron Rodgers in the NFL, but I guess that says something about their respective characters as people rather than their ability.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Adams -> Raiders more good news for the AFC West. 

I wouldn't expect him to produce quite as much as he did in GB with Rodgers, but anything that makes life more difficult for KC is good news for everyone else. I can see that division being a dogfight of 10-11 win teams this year. Not because they're all mediocre, but because they might finally start taking games off each other instead of handing KC 5 easy wins straight off the bat.

Agreed on all of this. There’s a lot of “can all the AFCW teams make the playoffs?”

Well, no. Because while it’s a very, very strong division the teams will all take wins from each other, and I could actually see two missing the playoffs because it’ll be so cutthroat. The AFCW is also playing the NFCW this season which is the next strongest division.

I could see three AFCW teams in the playoffs, easily. The North is a bit similar with the difference being that all of the North teams are actually mediocre, and the South and East have one decent team, one maybe, and a load of garbage. 

Not beyond the realms of possibility we get a 12-13 win AFCW Champ, a 12 win WC, and a 10-11 win WC all in the same Division. The AFC is that tight that there's only really one team I'd write off at this point, the Jets, because I can honestly see the Jags and Texans taking decent strides forward this year. The South is weak, which will help both of them. I'm not impressed at all with the Titans despite being last year's #1. I think in a 'normal' year they'd be a 10 win WC at best, and the Colts will sink or swim by what they end up with at QB. Are the Colts with JG or Baker Mayfield better than the Texans and Jags?, yes, absolutely, but I could see the Jags putting up 9-10 wins this year and I don't think the Colts are so much better that they'll win 13+, so it would only take a Jags sweep and a few funky results, and you have the Jags finishing in 2nd.

Anyway, still a lot to happen between now and week 1. The Draft will shuffle the pack a little bit, FA isn't nearly over, and then you have roster cut down and the usual slew of training camp injuries. Right now though, I think the entire AFC bar one or two teams can legitimately think about a playoff spot, even if a few of them are rank outsiders.

Rodgers is going to be upset……..which is nice 
You'd think that, but apparently Rodgers knew before signing his contract and Adams bought a house in Vegas back in Feb.

I don't think it's a dreadful deal for the Packers, 1st and a 2nd and clears a lot off the Cap, but think they should have made the move earlier, so they had a better pick of Free Agent WRs.

If they don't move up in the Draft, imagine they'll target one of Olave/London/Burks/Williams and maybe nab another WR later in the Draft.

You lost to both the Jets and the Texans, then lost at home to a mediocre Bengals side in the playoffs that even the Chargers manhandled. Excuse me if I'm not expecting to see the 2021 Titans and their utterly one-dimensional offense feature as a Madden All-Time team any time soon 😛

Oh, and you play in a shitty division that should spot you at least four wins head start every single year 😛

Lions reported to be signing TE Garret Griffin who played under Dan Campbell when Campbell was TE coach with the Saints. Interestingly Griffin was pegged as a replacement for Josh Hill who signed with the Lions last year before opting to retire.

As an aside I'm feeling a bit left out of all the free agency shenanigans as things have been pretty run of the mill & mundane in Detroit thus far & will in all likelihood stay that way. Focus seems to be bringing in players on short term deals, re-signings & putting a lot of stock in the draft. Feels a bit weird too not getting to anticipate the blockbuster news of the Muhl re-singing.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Lions reported to be signing TE Garret Griffin who played under Dan Campbell when Campbell was TE coach with the Saints. Interestingly Griffin was pegged as a replacement for Josh Hill who signed with the Lions last year before opting to retire.

As an aside I'm feeling a bit left out of all the free agency shenanigans as things have been pretty run of the mill & mundane in Detroit thus far & will in all likelihood stay that way. Focus seems to be bringing in players on short term deals, re-signings & putting a lot of stock in the draft. Feels a bit weird too not getting to anticipate the blockbuster news of the Muhl re-singing.
Not been a lot for any of the NFC North to get excited about, other than re-signing/extending players.

Think we're trying to top the NFC East for worst division this year.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

You lost to both the Jets and the Texans, then lost at home to a mediocre Bengals side in the playoffs that even the Chargers manhandled. Excuse me if I'm not expecting to see the 2021 Titans and their utterly one-dimensional offense feature as a Madden All-Time team any time soon 😛

Oh, and you play in a shitty division that should spot you at least four wins head start every single year 😛

I know, I know.

Hopefully Henry can stay fit this year so Tannehill doesn't have to throw anything.