Free Agency 2022

lichtie23

I’m happy with it. It’s a late first round pick (#29) and we still have two first round picks next year. We needed to do something special to give us a chance of making the playoffs.
I'm with you on that especially when you remember the first round pick is actually the 49ers pick that we traded for the 3rd overall Texans pick we got from the Laremy Tunsil trade. We've been stockpiling picks for years and shopping for bargain players in FA. At some point we need to give Tua an offense and see if he's any good. I think he's going to come good, but we need to know. Remember the last time we had a late 1st rounder we picked Noah Igbonoginie. The speed on this team now with Waddle, Hill, Bowden jr and Mostert is night and day from last year.

You guys think Tua has the arm to exploit all that speed? 

Granted, I didn't see him play at all the season just gone, but from what I did see of him in his rookie campaign he looked every bit the typical dink and dunk QB. Better OL should help in terms of play development, but if he can't actually get the ball where it needs to go it's pointless.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Granted, I didn't see him play at all the season just gone, but from what I did see of him in his rookie campaign he looked every bit the typical dink and dunk QB. Better OL should help in terms of play development, but if he can't actually get the ball where it needs to go it's pointless.

Yes, I do. It’s a combination of lazy analysis which has become taken as read, a terrible run game, historically awful OL and Tua rehabilitating from his injury. By all accounts he was a deep ball thrower through college eg 2nd and 26 National Champioship 2018 game. 

I literally watched every snap he took in 20 and 21. He was really good in patches but tailed away as the situation became more and more toxic with Flores, if you believe the reports.

Last year he was running for his life after about 1.5 seconds (sometimes less) due to the awful OL, and teams didn’t need to respect the run or rush in numbers to get to him. His low sack numbers are astonishing within the context he was playing. He seems to be putting in the hard yards off season and is another year removed from a catastrophic injury which obviously affected his core mechanics. Plus the offensive coaching and game scheme were absolutely awful, which makes the McDaniel thing potentially so exciting as there have been massive upgrades right across the staff as far as I can gather.

As much as Hill is an odious little rodent, it will be fun seeing teams trying to cover Waddle, Hill, Mostert, Wilson Gesicki etc

He definitely needs to get better but I think having a coaching team all in on him with the new weapons, OL and much better coaching and scheme will see him thrive. As others have said, if it doesn’t work, we move on with 2 firsts in 23 in a loaded year class for QBs.

This is a question that has divided the Dolphin fan base. Some think he's a bust and some think he does no wrong (they're referred to as Tu-anon).

I would say I'm hopeful and not ready to give up on him, but it's up to him to prove he has what it takes. For many reasons which I won't bore you with I am confident that he is going into this season with a stronger arm, better core and overall better body conditioning.

I don't expect him to throw 70 yard bombs as he's never been that sort of player. I need him to get the ball where it needs to be accurately and with enough zip to get it there on time

Here's a video Tua's trainer released of Lyn Bowden jr standing 66yards away from Tua. Its obviously different in game situations, but we didn't get shown anything like this last year.

I am conscious about overloading this thread with Dolphins talk, so will shut up now.

Kerry Hyder heading back to the Bay. I like the pick up as the NIners like to have a lot of defensive line man to rotate and with the loss of DJ Jones to FA and Arden Key also unlikely to come back they needed someone else. Hyder had a good season a couple of years ago filling in well in a defence that lost Bosa to injury. Got to test the market last year but didn't perform in Seattle and now he's back. Just need to see if he makes the roster when things get going.

Edited by RiG