Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

Is that really what’s on offer on the open market?  I fixed last week with Intelligent Octopus at about £0.40/kWh peak and £0.075 overnight.

f**k committing to almost 70p per unit.

Why are Octopus able to offer what appear to be great (in this market) deals?

It's Octopus I am with and thats what they are offering me. 

Is intelligent Octopus the one aimed at owners of electric cars? 

Edited by dundeefc1783

10 hours ago, Aufc said:

Have Norway not subsidised their occupants bills due to the increase?

Yes the government support can be upto 90% of your total bill depending on circumstances 

Ps the locals are still complaining about the increases 

Edited by doulikefish

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

How is the rest of the house heated? The Octopus rate offered to Left Back a few posts up is an economy 7 tariff, but maybe wouldn't help much if there's only a single storage heater (in saying that, even a fixed ratee of 40p is reasonable these days).

I'll need to get a couple stand alone heaters in winter, the storage heater on upstairs landing only one in house.

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

A lot of countries with less of a rise are doing so via government essentially paying the difference (the taxpayer really) so either way your paying for the increase, either from your own pocket, via tax rises (if any) or through cuts to other parts of the public sector 

When people suggest that for the UK, the need to remember that only 56% of the UK adult population pay tax, so for the UK to nationalise the power industry it would cost a fucking fortune that would be taken from elsewhere 

Doesn't matter we were told the only way to lower energy bills was to leave the EU.

You say 56% of adults, I would say it must be in the high 90%

6 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Well hopefully that isn't a requirement of switching to that tariff. 

It is.  You have to have a car or charger they can interface with so they can schedule your charging.  Octopus Go is similar (and I was being offered the same rates) but no requirement to be able to connect to a car or charger I think.

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Doesn't matter we were told the only way to lower energy bills was to leave the EU.

You say 56% of adults, I would say it must be in the high 90%

In my businesses all the staff are part time and work under 20hrs per week as it suits their lifestyle.

None pay tax and only a few pay NI. so he could be right.

Obviously we’re only talking direct taxation here.

45 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

In my businesses all the staff are part time and work under 20hrs per week as it suits their lifestyle.

None pay tax and only a few pay NI. so he could be right.

Obviously we’re only talking direct taxation here.

^^^

Child.jpg

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

I'll need to get a couple stand alone heaters in winter, the storage heater on upstairs landing only one in house.

Do you mean the plug in electric heaters? If so, you'll be paying absolutely ludicrous sums for your bills (even more so than what is coming I mean).

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

At what point will countries go cap in hand to Vlad, apologise and ask him to turn the gas taps back on?

IF Ukraine are going to start dropping bombs in Crimea they might be able to do this without looking desperate.

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you mean the plug in electric heaters? If so, you'll be paying absolutely ludicrous sums for your bills (even more so than what is coming I mean).

Not much choice really with no central heating.

Home Energy Scotland are dishing out cash in the form of interest-free loans with cashback, so it's always worth giving them a call to see what options there are for you. They may be able to mostly fund solar panels (up to £5k IIRC) to heat the water tank for example, or there's cashback of up to £7500 towards an air-source heat pump if suitable.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^

Child.jpg

I have this idiot/troll on ignore so don’t often see his posts.  However if employees are not paying NI they will not qualify for the state pension so it’s not a very clever move.

Mind you it’s probably all just made up pish anyway.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have this idiot/troll on ignore so don’t often see his posts.  However if employees are not paying NI they will not qualify for the state pension so it’s not a very clever move.

Mind you it’s probably all just made up pish anyway.

If your earnings are below the NI threshold you get NI credits so you will get your state pension.

29 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If your earnings are below the NI threshold you get NI credits so you will get your state pension.

You don’t start paying NI contributions until you earn over around £240 per week.

However, even lower earnings go towards your OAP.

If you do , say 20hrs at £12 , you won’t be paying NI.

I think the idiot, as usual, is GD for not doing any research.

Your 'research' usually consists of saying "I know f**k all about this, but here are my strongly-held views - perhaps P&B could educate me and I'll ignore them?" so this is like me outing other posters as sexual perverts  :lol: