Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Labour can promise to personally pay every single household's bills. Labour could promise to install solar panels on every house for free. Labour could promise to erect windmills in every street to generate free power.

Doesn't matter. They aren't in power at the moment, and people need help now, not in two years when Labour might win a general election.

The less Labour offer the less the Tories have to offer.  It's basic politics.

If John McDonnell was still shadow chancellor he would be ripping the Tories to shreds on this.

Edited by Detournement

So was on a session earlier looking at future impacts of the increase over next 3 quarters starting October 

math is simply based on the gap between SVT and 1 year fixed prices as it stands in a 3 bed, 2 adult semi detached house 

fix being around double the price of SVT( however towards the April/July 23 I would suspect that fixes may not be as high as potential to level out)

Indication purposes only and highest amount applied.**

Of course this can differ before the Rachel Riley’s and Carol Vordermans jump in. 

Aug SVT - £162 a month (£1944 Pa)

Aug Fixed - £332 a month (£3844 Pa) 

Oct Exp SvT - £300 a month (£3600 Pa)

Oct Exp Fixed - £600 a month (£7200 max Pa) 

Jan Exp SVT - £360 a month (£4266 Pa)

Jan Exp Fix - £750 a month (£8000 pa ) 

Apr Exp SVT - £416 a month (£5000 Pa) 

Apr Exp Fix - £785 a month (£9400 Pa)

mad

38 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

So was on a session earlier looking at future impacts of the increase over next 3 quarters starting October 

math is simply based on the gap between SVT and 1 year fixed prices as it stands in a 3 bed, 2 adult semi detached house 

fix being around double the price of SVT( however towards the April/July 23 I would suspect that fixes may not be as high as potential to level out)

Indication purposes only and highest amount applied.**

Of course this can differ before the Rachel Riley’s and Carol Vordermans jump in. 

Aug SVT - £162 a month (£1944 Pa)

Aug Fixed - £332 a month (£3844 Pa) 

Oct Exp SvT - £300 a month (£3600 Pa)

Oct Exp Fixed - £600 a month (£7200 max Pa) 

Jan Exp SVT - £360 a month (£4266 Pa)

Jan Exp Fix - £750 a month (£8000 pa ) 

Apr Exp SVT - £416 a month (£5000 Pa) 

Apr Exp Fix - £785 a month (£9400 Pa)

mad

And unions are getting blamed for being greedy for wanting a wage rise 

1 hour ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

I guess the real question is, actual price aside, what factors are key to the April 23 price being the peak, and how likely is it that those factors will come to pass?

You're right that those October and beyond fixes are daft figures but in reality no-one is going to be taking them on.

43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I guess the real question is, actual price aside, what factors are key to the April 23 price being the peak, and how likely is it that those factors will come to pass?

You're right that those October and beyond fixes are daft figures but in reality no-one is going to be taking them on.

Except for the media of course.

It is only when you read what other countries are doing that you realise how incompetent the tories are. Absolute disgrace.

I agree with thay cow truss that companies making profit should not be seen as a negative. However, when these huge companies are reporting huge profits at the detriment of so many people then it’s an issue. These profits are completely exceptional ie they won’t last forever so it’s only right they are taxed exceptionally.

This has been years in the making. Norway did it right. Let the companies suffer the costs to explore for the oil/gas. Once they found it, the government took a share in the field and also levied an additional 50% tax on it. This allowed th to build up their wealth fund which I believe is about 1.3trillian USD. Had allowed them to cover 90% of any additional household energy costs.

The UK really is a fucking toilet.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Just had a look at how much I would be to fix for 12 months with Octupus. The estimate they give is £585 a month. I am currently paying £250 a month and am sitting about £700 in credit. I realise my payments are about to go up significantly and this may sound stupid  but fucking no chance am I willingly going to enter a contract where I will pay them over 7k in 12 months. 

Prices in Norway for electricity have also gone through the roof due to wholesale price increases.
Friend of my lives and works out there. His bill has quadrupled.
Just in case anyone wants to falsely white knight any other country out there.

Have Norway not subsidised their occupants bills due to the increase?

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Just had a look at how much I would be to fix for 12 months with Octupus. The estimate they give is £585 a month. I am currently paying £250 a month and am sitting about £700 in credit. I realise my payments are about to go up significantly and this may sound stupid  but fucking no chance am I willingly going to enter a contract where I will pay them over 7k in 12 months. 

The likelihood is, though, that even on the SVT, unless you reduce your usage, you will ultimately pay them over £7k over the next 12 months.

People need to not fixate over the fixed contract DD amount and look at the unit rate of that contract before deciding what is best for them.

I'd be cautious, though, of entering a fixed deal before a new PM is in place, mind, as it's unlikely IMO they will do nothing. If they decide that the best course of action is a cap freeze, anyone who recently took out a new fixed price tariff is going to be royally fucked, if they decide that a universal subsidy is the best course, then anyone not fixing now is going to lose out quite drastically after the price cap announcement.

Edited by Todd_is_God

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The likelihood is, though, that even on the SVT, unless you reduce your usage, you will ultimately pay them over £7k over the next 12 months.

People need to not fixate over the fixed contract DD amount and look at the unit rate of that contract before deciding what is best for them.

I'd be cautious, though, of entering a fixed deal before a new PM is in place, mind, as it's unlikely IMO they will do nothing. If they decide that the best course of action is a cap freeze, anyone who recently took out a new fixed price tariff is going to be royally fucked, if they decide that a universal subsidy is the best course, then anyone not fixing now is going to lose out quite drastically after the price cap announcement.

I am in the process of looking at ways that I can lower my consumption to hopefully cushion what is gonna to be a heavy fucking blow. 

The tariff they are offering would see my electricity unit rate go from 27.84 to 68.8 (145% increase) and standing charge staying at 49.38. Gas would go from 7. 33 to 18.7 (155% increase) again standing charge staying at 27.22.

Not a chance I'm signing up to that I am gonna take my chances in the slim hope that the govt actually do something about this shit show. 

52 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I am in the process of looking at ways that I can lower my consumption to hopefully cushion what is gonna to be a heavy fucking blow. 

The tariff they are offering would see my electricity unit rate go from 27.84 to 68.8 (145% increase) and standing charge staying at 49.38. Gas would go from 7. 33 to 18.7 (155% increase) again standing charge staying at 27.22.

Not a chance I'm signing up to that I am gonna take my chances in the slim hope that the govt actually do something about this shit show. 

Is that really what’s on offer on the open market?  I fixed last week with Intelligent Octopus at about £0.40/kWh peak and £0.075 overnight.

f**k committing to almost 70p per unit.

Why are Octopus able to offer what appear to be great (in this market) deals?

On 11/08/2022 at 19:50, welshbairn said:

C4 saying that average EU energy price rise is 44%, we're at 215%. Germany's 20%, France is 4%.

But we mustn't interfere with the markets, where would it ever end?

Were we not told this was impossible to do whilst in the EU? Another lie unraveling whilst those who conned folk are still untouchable in power.

On 11/08/2022 at 12:41, BFTD said:

It's funny how many people assume that charity shops wash clothes before putting them out for sale. The busy shops can be sorting through hundreds of bags every day; they'd need to have their own laundrette out the back to clean that many, and the smaller shops are often staffed by a single person running the till while sorting bags, steaming clothes, and putting items out for sale on their own. Most charities have a written policy that noticeably dirty clothes go to rag collection companies.

Don't know if anyone knows/cares either, but charity shops are on the wane. Their profits have been dropping across the board for the past decade, and more charities are pulling out of retail altogether, as the money just isn't there to make it a worthwhile method of fundraising. It wouldn't surprise me if the only ones left on the high street in ten years are the big guns like Oxfam and Cancer Research. I'm not sure how that stacks with governmental aims of using recycling as a means to minimise items ending up in landfill.

My daughter is just about to turn five and loves things like my little pony, Barbie, books, sparkly clothes and all that and she often goes into a shop with one of her grannies where they will just give her everything she wants for a couple of quid because it's been there for ages and they don't want it to go to the dump. I have to admit, I was never in these places before, but I've been making more of an effort recently. Will be a shame if they go altogether.

5 hours ago, Left Back said:

Is that really what’s on offer on the open market?  I fixed last week with Intelligent Octopus at about £0.40/kWh peak and £0.075 overnight.

f**k committing to almost 70p per unit.

Why are Octopus able to offer what appear to be great (in this market) deals?

Arent they part of a bigger mob that supplies america, so they can cut prices here slightly to get punters knowing their big moolah comes from USA

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Were we not told this was impossible to do whilst in the EU? Another lie unraveling whilst those who conned folk are still untouchable in power.

A lot of countries with less of a rise are doing so via government essentially paying the difference (the taxpayer really) so either way your paying for the increase, either from your own pocket, via tax rises (if any) or through cuts to other parts of the public sector 

When people suggest that for the UK, the need to remember that only 56% of the UK adult population pay tax, so for the UK to nationalise the power industry it would cost a fucking fortune that would be taken from elsewhere 

30 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

When people suggest that for the UK, the need to remember that only 56% of the UK adult population pay tax, so for the UK to nationalise the power industry it would cost a fucking fortune that would be taken from elsewhere 

Hadn't realised that VAT on everyday goods had ceased being a thing.

I've just bought a house (3.2% fixed or something) and I've an economy 7 metre, didn't think they even existed any more.

There's one storage heater upstairs and hot water tank in cupboard in my room. Mid terrace. I've absolutely no idea how much electricity is going to cost.

24 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I've just bought a house (3.2% fixed or something) and I've an economy 7 metre, didn't think they even existed any more.

There's one storage heater upstairs and hot water tank in cupboard in my room. Mid terrace. I've absolutely no idea how much electricity is going to cost.

How is the rest of the house heated? The Octopus rate offered to Left Back a few posts up is an economy 7 tariff, but maybe wouldn't help much if there's only a single storage heater (in saying that, even a fixed ratee of 40p is reasonable these days).