Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

38 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

When I was an installer, we used to get some 'Check Meter' jobs where a newly calibrated meter was linked to the current one for a week or so to see that they were in unison. Very, very rarely was a meter wrong. Think they still replace every 10 years to re-calibrate and ensure accuracy. 

Ok so it’s probably not that then. I wonder what it is? Thanks for your help

13 hours ago, RH33 said:

I've just fixed mine at about £65 a month more than I'm paying just now, until 2024. I'd rather know as I'm on standard variable just now.

I have the same approach to the mortgage. Always a bit fearful of a sudden hike. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

What can people do to fight against this complete injustice? Folk are going to go hungry or be unable to heat their homes. Some people might die. All the while the energy companies continue to make massive profits. It appears other countries in Europe are taking action to help soften the blow but the UK does nothing:

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/14/france-edf-cap-household-energy-bills

A start would be the Government cutting VAT on energy bills something they said we could do after Brexit but then, erm, didn't. Oddly enough, being in EU hasn't stopped Spain and others from cutting VAT on energy bills. Wonder why the Tories won't do that to help us all out.

IMG_20220218_193646.thumb.jpg.d567c9de49780c04b5e0e56e06f3c1d4.jpg

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Does anyone know how you would test an electricity meter for accuracy? Can it even be done?

I have all electric and a smart meter which does send reading but I also send additional ones each month to calculate the bill. The bills show my energy consumption going from an estimated of 3,500 kWh annually to what it currently says is 7,200 kWh.

the thing is that my consumption has been basically the same the whole time. I moved in March 2020 and have always worked from home, used the same appliances in the house in the same way. Yes I have the heating on a bit more in the winter months but it didn’t even rise that much last winter. I am beginning to wonder if the meter is correct. 

Apparently my use is the same is a 3 bedroom house and I’m in a small one bedroom flat. I just don’t see how it’s almost doubled when I am doing everything the same as before.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/your-energy-meter/find-out-if-your-energy-meter-is-faulty/

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I had a leaflet through my door from Labour yesterday telling me they'd solve the energy crisis. No detail on how they'd do that but I'm sure we can take their word for it.

Well I'm convinced.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I had a leaflet through my door from Labour yesterday telling me they'd solve the energy crisis. No detail on how they'd do that but I'm sure we can take their word for it.

That's a big relief for me, personally.

Waiting to hear if anyone can trump that with solving the energy crisis, covid, and WW3 before I decide how to vote in May.

Edited by Gordon EF

Does anyone know how you would test an electricity meter for accuracy? Can it even be done?
I have all electric and a smart meter which does send reading but I also send additional ones each month to calculate the bill. The bills show my energy consumption going from an estimated of 3,500 kWh annually to what it currently says is 7,200 kWh.
the thing is that my consumption has been basically the same the whole time. I moved in March 2020 and have always worked from home, used the same appliances in the house in the same way. Yes I have the heating on a bit more in the winter months but it didn’t even rise that much last winter. I am beginning to wonder if the meter is correct. 
Apparently my use is the same is a 3 bedroom house and I’m in a small one bedroom flat. I just don’t see how it’s almost doubled when I am doing everything the same as before.
When I worked for British Gas, not yesterday mind you. If you queried a meters accuracy they would replace it, and send it for test. If it was found to be accurate, a charge was levied. I can count on one hand in almost 20 years how many were found to be faulty.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Just got a text message from my mobile supplier saying exactly the same thing.

Everyone is ripping the piss right now.

All sectors are watching this and planning to see what they can get away with in terms of smashing up their prices.

I'm sure there's a fairly obvious answer to this, but if you plan on staying in your current property for the rest of your days and don't answer the door to meter readers, what's to stop you under-reporting your energy usage until such time as the price has come back down to a reasonable level?

I'm sure there's a fairly obvious answer to this, but if you plan on staying in your current property for the rest of your days and don't answer the door to meter readers, what's to stop you under-reporting your energy usage until such time as the price has come back down to a reasonable level?
Not if you happen to have a smart meter

6 minutes ago, beesher said:

I'm guessing that when the day came and you popped your clogs, someone would do a meter reading then, and present your grieving family with a whopper of a bill. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Honestly that would make next to no difference.

At 5% it would be just £9 per month on a £180 bill.

Maybe no difference to you or me but to some that reduction would mean an awful lot.

Edited by RiG

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Why are standing charges going up? The kWh price can be explained (poorly) with this wholesale price stuff. But what about this?

They need to continue to make massive profits somehow.

I'm with Octopus just now, and they are currently offering a 12 month fixed rate tariff:

Tariff cost breakdown

⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge  27.39p /day
Unit rate  38.34p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

Not sure how competitive that will be compared to others (unit rate seems particularly high, but this probably takes in to account the October rises too, so it's sort of paying a bit more now but paying less for a few months after the October rises; would need to crunch some sums to see if you'd end up better off or not), but if anyone fancies it then you can use the code below and we each get £50 credit added to our accounts (after the first DD is taken):

https://share.octopus.energy/amber-may-590

Also, if you sign up you'll get your own code to share. Fire it around your family and friends and you could be looking at, potentially, getting your bills paid for a while (you get £50 per successful referral).

Edited by DA Baracus

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm with Octopus just now, and they are currently offering a 12 month fixed rate tariff:

Tariff cost breakdown

⚡ Electricity
Unit rate  38.34p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

Not sure how competitive that will be compared to others (unit rate seems particularly high, but this probably takes in to account the October rises too, so it's sort of paying a bit more now but paying less for a few months after the October rises; would need to crunch some sums to see if you'd end up better off or not), but if anyone fancies it then you can use the code below and we each get £50 credit added to our accounts (after the first DD is taken):

Also, if you sign up you'll get your own code to share. Fire it around your family and friends and you could be looking at, potentially, getting your bills paid for a while (you get £50 per successful referral).

Tempting. Would be 25 quid more a month than what I'm getting quoted on a flexible rate but would be 25 less than what I expect to pay come October 

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Tariff cost breakdown

⚡ Electricity
Unit rate  38.34p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

Their standing charge is lower than mine but their kWh usage charge is a fair bit higher. Calculating it I would be paying about 25 more on top of the 40 more I’m about to start paying. 12 month fixed is slightly tempting right enough, it’s only going one way. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Why are standing charges going up? The kWh price can be explained (poorly) with this wholesale price stuff. But what about this?

Exactly they are exposing themselves, again, as massive money grabbing arseholes.

Can't wait to nationalise the fuckers.