Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

Just renewed with OVO. 

Electricity price has gone from 14.8p per kWh to 38p per kWh. Standing charge per day up from 27p to 54p. Fixed for 2 years. 

Could have gone to their variable tariff (27p per kWh) but I reckon that will shoot well past the 38p I signed up to. 

Gas up as well but this (2.5x) has scunnered me. 

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sri Lanka has banned retail sales of petrol and declared itself bankrupt. Angry mobs are killing wealthy people who show their face on the streets. 

There is a strange lack of reporting on it by the Guardian and BBC.

Fairly long background piece in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/07/the-family-took-over-how-a-feuding-ruling-dynasty-drove-sri-lanka-to-ruin

BBC too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62073820

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Sri Lanka has banned retail sales of petrol and declared itself bankrupt. Angry mobs are killing wealthy people who show their face on the streets. 

There is a strange lack of reporting on it by the Guardian and BBC.

Appears they are in talks with Putin to buy Russian oil as they are finding it difficult to buy from Gulf nations.  I assume that will put Sri Lanka at odds with most western countries.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

not like tourny to talk utter pish is it?

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

£300pcm is something that a very large number of people are simply not going to be able to pay, no matter what they do.

Yip, but that won’t stop you seeing the usual stories in the right wing media blaming people for drinking too many Starbucks, having Netflix or simply not working hard enough 

23 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

We really need to boycott these fuel companies until they stop paying so much in dividends to their shareholders! 
oh wait! 
Seriously, the price cap from Ofgem is a fucking joke! What’s needed is a cap on profits & dividends. 

On what grounds is the Ofgem cap a joke?

The refusal of the gormless British public to recognise that its government's virtue-signalling about Ukraine as a third-rate power might have negative consequences is quite frankly embarrassing. Not to mention the consistent failure of UK governments to incentivise the changes that are needed (insulation; heat pumps based on renewable including affordable nuclear sources) to make its reliance on expensive fossil fuels obsolete. That's a product of the UK's failed political system and its transactional shuffling of bribes to swing voters. 

Ofgem are simply the messengers about a reality that has nothing to do with them. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

The refusal of the gormless British public to recognise that its government's virtue-signalling about Ukraine as a third-rate power might have negative consequences is quite frankly embarrassing. 

But Putin bad 🇺🇦

Tbf this is nothing new - the public at large showed they had absolutely no grasp of the consequences of lockdowns etc. Couldn't see beyond being happy they could get paid to watch telly all day and still get their shopping delivered.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

On what grounds is the Ofgem cap a joke?

The refusal of the gormless British public to recognise that its government's virtue-signalling about Ukraine as a third-rate power might have negative consequences is quite frankly embarrassing. Not to mention the consistent failure of UK governments to incentivise the changes that are needed (insulation; heat pumps based on renewable including affordable nuclear sources) to make its reliance on expensive fossil fuels obsolete. That's a product of the UK's failed political system and its transactional shuffling of bribes to swing voters. 

Ofgem are simply the messengers about a reality that has nothing to do with them. 

I know the Scottish Government is against Trident but are they not also against all nuclear power? -  I genuinely don’t know.

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Thank you LB.  I genuinely wasn’t sure how the Scottish Government viewed nuclear reactors for creating electricity.

I’m not expert in the generation electricity but do renewables such as wind and solar not need to be backed up with nuclear or fossil fuels for the days where there are no wind and the evenings and nights where there is no light?  From what I can gather the storage of solar and wind energy is not yet possible on the significant scale required given the current limitations on battery storage.

Edited by Shadow Play