Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

I had a wee issue with my bill. Phoned Ovo (whom I have been with since 2016). I entered my account number on the phone keypad - number not recognised. 

Got through to a human. Again, I wasn't on their system. Serious Scottish Power vibes with this. The woman i got through to said she would look into this and call me the next morning. 

I spent the evening assuming this was bollocks and I would be calling them again. But no. She phoned me back at 9 am. They found my account - it had moved to another system. But these moves are worrying me. I went to them in 2016 as customer service was my main thing, after years of being shafted by SP. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My usage has been pretty much in line with my normal direct debit so far, so I was preparing to seethe when I received an email from British Gas telling me my direct debit would be changing. 

It’s being reduced by £15 a month 🤨

Ofgem stamping their feet a bit about unfair direct debits finally starting to take an effect?

Great Reset, baby!
A great reset seems more legit than a procession of fuel manufacturers, the entire supply chain and the retailers themselves being slow to pass down savings because they are making more now than they ever have IMO.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
14 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Great Reset, baby!

A great reset seems more legit than a procession of fuel manufacturers, the entire supply chain and the retailers themselves being slow to pass down savings because they are making more now than they ever have IMO.

What's being reset is the value of our labour and our purchasing power.

No one seems to question why there is no competition on prices.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

What's being reset is the value of our labour and our purchasing power.

No one seems to question why there is no competition on prices.

There's no competition on prices because supermarkets are competing on essential goods in their stores. Which is incidentally to the benefit of far more people in society than bribing car drivers with loss-leading fuel prices, which happened before. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

There's no competition on prices because supermarkets are competing on essential goods in their stores. Which is incidentally to the benefit of far more people in society than bribing car drivers with loss-leading fuel prices, which happened before. 

Supermarket prices are going up crazily as well. Butter is up something daft like 50% this year. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/05/ba-cancels-flights-summer-heathrow-gatwick-holiday-malaga-palma-faro

And as was predicted the ability to fly is now being restricted as well. This is going to go on for years.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Supermarket prices are going up crazily as well. Butter is up something daft like 50% this year. 

Supermarkets are holding down prices compared to even higher wholesale costs. Not out of the goodness of their heart, but because they're under far greater pressure from discount retailers than in 2000, when the gammons 1.0 started whinging about petrol prices. 

Supermarkets in the UK are therefore making a strategic business choice to compete on food price inflation and allow fuel prices to float at a realistic level. Independent fuel retailers have never been in a position to undercut on price. 

That's the entirely straightforward reason why there's 'no competition on fuel price', not because there's a global conspiracy. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Supermarkets are holding down prices compared to even higher wholesale costs. Not out of the goodness of their heart, but because they're under far greater pressure from discount retailers than in 2000, when the gammons 1.0 started whinging about petrol prices. 

Supermarkets in the UK are therefore making a strategic business choice to compete on food price inflation and allow fuel prices to float at a realistic level. Independent fuel retailers have never been in a position to undercut on price. 

That's the entirely straightforward reason why there's 'no competition on fuel price', not because there's a global conspiracy. 

Supermarkets are only 50% of the UK fuel market and in other countries they aren't involved in it at all.

We'll see what sorts of profits the supermarkets announce this year but I doubt they will go down.

Edited by Detournement

Just now, Detournement said:

Supermarkets are only 50% of the UK fuel market and in other countries they aren't involved in it at all.

Really not sure what your point is supposed to be here, or in what alternative universe holding 50% of a very large market is not considered a decisive factor. 

There are still other large non supermarket competitors with the chance to lower prices to increase market share who are not doing so.

We are experiencing high inflation at a time of record corporate profit margins. It's pretty clear that we are no longer seeing real competition within sectors due to concentrated ownership by the big funds but also coordination across different sectors to maximise the overall returns of investors in Blackrock etc. 

Edited by Detournement

On 17/06/2022 at 00:29, bobbykdy said:

Aussies having a bit of bother with their energy just now, being asked to reduce their consumption & switch their lights off for a couple of hours each evenings in the hope of avoiding black outs.

And Italy and Japan.

That said producing electricity especially in the winter shouldn't be too much bother in the UK, far less Scotland. Although storage of electricity for use a peak time needs to improve.