Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This is probably the most relevant thread to ask this, but what happens if you go for a fix rate but then move? Do you need to take the provider with you or can you use any provider in the new place?

49 minutes ago, strichener said:

You don't have to stay with the same provider.  If you leave a property then you are free to move provider.

Not only that, often you can't take your current deal anyway.

Got an email from my provider earlier. There was a bit in that made me think "Hmmm...."

However, based on current forecasts, we expect that by July prices should fall below the typical £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee level — and we’ll pass these reductions on as soon as it’s possible.

On 28/03/2023 at 11:22, DA Baracus said:

Got an email from my provider earlier. There was a bit in that made me think "Hmmm...."

However, based on current forecasts, we expect that by July prices should fall below the typical £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee level — and we’ll pass these reductions on as soon as it’s possible.

I'm on Octopus Tracker which follows wholesale prices. Average rate for March is 21.5p/kWh for electricity and 5.2p/kWh for gas. 

Wouldn't be surprising if rates fell further. 

On 09/03/2023 at 08:55, Aufc said:

I didn’t realise the windfall tax was locked in for 5 years no matter what the price of oil does. Seems like a terrible decision, especially now oil prices have levelled out. All that seems to be happening is companies are investing anywhere other than the UK

100% correct - an ill-informed piece of political grandstanding that maybe keeps the red wall happy, but will cost jobs in Scotland big time.

Word was they were going to do something about that today in the interests of energy security and investment in energy transition, but nothing……

On 24/03/2023 at 21:18, Todd_is_God said:

If they received a meter reading this week are you sure the estimate you also received this week was based on it and not an estimate?

Checked again today and their Direct Debit tariff is exactly the same. £400 for heating during six months including all of winter - £1200 estimate for the entire year's use. A clown car organisation. 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pish isn't it?

Yup. The greedy fuckers doing this need to be dragged out in to the streets and beaten.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Love when the media immediately line up all these people to let us know that we are to continue being scalped to f**k, and not to have any hope of better. 

They're spinning it the way they're told.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup. The greedy fuckers doing this need to be dragged out in to the streets and beaten.

They're spinning it the way they're told.

Yeah I know. That's the point. Everyone making the money, as soon as anything approaching decent news appears, makes damn sure our expectations get snuffed out straight away and they get to keep on trucking. 

A £1,206 cut in the cap is clearly good news.

The cap is calculated on energy wholesale prices over a 3 month period, (prices which have been falling for some time) The next cap review will reflect that and i'd expect a further cut, just in time for the colder weather in October - January.

These comments come across as an effort to convince people to snap at the fixed rate tariffs that will appear over the coming weeks (that are not restricted by the cap). That is how they will gouge and keep their margins up.

I'd think carefully before signing up to any fixed rate tariff that is close to the rates of the July cap tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Energy prices are falling, so the EPG won't be needed, but the forecast is for the price cap to not change much after July's initial drop. The bottom line is, this coming winter we'll likely pay the same as we did last winter (because we'll no longer get any Gov help), and that's double what we were paying a couple of years ago, at least if you were on a decent fixed tariff. Maybe things will get better next year 🙄

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/martin-lewis--the-energy-price-cap-will-fall-in-july--reducing-t/

45 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

EDF telling me they're coming round to fit a smart meter after numerous requests from them to set an appointment have been ignored by myself.

No option in the email or app to cancel it.

Tell them to gtf when they turn up if you don't want it 

16 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Energy prices are falling, so the EPG won't be needed, but the forecast is for the price cap to not change much after July's initial drop. The bottom line is, this coming winter we'll likely pay the same as we did last winter (because we'll no longer get any Gov help), and that's double what we were paying a couple of years ago, at least if you were on a decent fixed tariff. Maybe things will get better next year 🙄

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/martin-lewis--the-energy-price-cap-will-fall-in-july--reducing-t/

Just as well Scotland is neither gas nor renewable energy rich otherwise it would really suck being stuck with these mental bills.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Just as well Scotland is neither gas nor renewable energy rich otherwise it would really suck being stuck with these mental bills.

Mind all the talk of decoupling the electricity price from the gas price etc..... Various proactive steps being talked about to mitigate.....

Guess the frog has boiled through now. No need to continue pretending anything will be done. 

58 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mind all the talk of decoupling the electricity price from the gas price etc..... Various proactive steps being talked about to mitigate.....

Guess the frog has boiled through now. No need to continue pretending anything will be done. 

Aye can only imagine that part of the head of shells bonus ($9m) was in relation to keeping governments onside.

5 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

EDF telling me they're coming round to fit a smart meter after numerous requests from them to set an appointment have been ignored by myself.

No option in the email or app to cancel it.

I don't think you can be forced to take a smart meter. We don't have them, but I too have received an email asking me to make an appointment. I'm not sure if I'm particularly bothered... as long as the meters are readable by ANY potential new supplier we might choose. I look to change every time my deal expires if there's a better deal available but I'm not wanting the hassle of a new one at every change.