Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

They'll drop in July, then they'll be right back up in November when people actually need to stick the heating on to survive.

Its mental how people still do not seem to understand how the price cap is calculated

Increases for Eco 7 customers......

I received notification of this about a fortnight prior to when it took effect on 1st January. ( Octopus Energy ).

Their email was worded in such a way that the message that came through was that they had no choice but to do it, it was

out of their hands.

This from the BBC says something rather different. Octopus, and the other suppliers,  very much did have a choice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64332617

Very slithery.

Edited by beefybake

Considering they should be encouraging off-peak energy use, because we apparently all need smart meters so they can manage peak demand, the increase in Eco 7 prices seems ridiculous. Or maybe just shows up the fact that its got little to do with managing demand all about managing their profits.

• 2 weeks later...

We have taken our energy company to the ombudsman and won our complaint,we have not been billed correctly for electricity since we moved into the house May 2021 due to a faulty smart meter.We are now £1004 in credit and getting a new meter fitted next week.

They also tried to charge us for gas use(not standing charge) when we are away most weekends and the boiler is switched off

When our previous 2-year fixed deal ended on Dec 31st, our peak/offpeak rates went from 16p/9p to 34p/26p. Obviously a sore one, but it's at the 'price guarantee' and everyone's in the same boat.

We just got a request for our first meter reading and the letter quotes our rates as 68p/62p which is clearly outrageous and in theory not allowed, and my wife spent nearly an hour waiting to get through to them on the phone before giving up.

This whole sector needs razed to the ground and started from scratch. Absolutely nowhere near approaching fit for purpose.

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

When our previous 2-year fixed deal ended on Dec 31st, our peak/offpeak rates went from 16p/9p to 34p/26p. Obviously a sore one, but it's at the 'price guarantee' and everyone's in the same boat.

We just got a request for our first meter reading and the letter quotes our rates as 68p/62p which is clearly outrageous and in theory not allowed, and my wife spent nearly an hour waiting to get through to them on the phone before giving up.

This whole sector needs razed to the ground and started from scratch. Absolutely nowhere near approaching fit for purpose.

They know full well they can gouge the absolute f**k out of their customers and the Ombudsman and government are going to do absolutely nothing about it.

What a country. 

10 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

We have taken our energy company to the ombudsman and won our complaint,we have not been billed correctly for electricity since we moved into the house May 2021 due to a faulty smart meter.We are now £1004 in credit and getting a new meter fitted next week.

They also tried to charge us for gas use(not standing charge) when we are away most weekends and the boiler is switched off

Did you get a goodwill gesture also?

When I took Scottish Power to them, they had to pay me a few hundred quid.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Is that unit rate before the discount for the energy price guarantee is applied?

Mine is the similar to yours but once the discount is applied it takes it under the cap.

12 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Got smart meters fitted a few years back, and think it's one of the worst decisions I've ever made. Electric is fine but that's two gas ones that have packed in completely, just totally dead, so engineer due in a couple of weeks to fit a 3rd one. Asked about changing back to a standard meter as these things frankly aren't worth the hassle, but told there is a £125 charge to change back. Duck that. 

It's been gubbed since Sept and they've been estimating bills since then, based I presume on the previous years figures. Told them my usage has been vastly down on last year due to cost increases, and a period of 3 weeks away on holiday (so no usage at all) included in this time frame. Will be fighting them tooth and nail over every penny.

Oh, and they tried to increase my DD from £197 to £346 without as much as an email, just found out by logging into my account. They can f**k right off with that one.

4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Is that unit rate before the discount for the energy price guarantee is applied?

Mine is the similar to yours but once the discount is applied it takes it under the cap.

Aye, turns out that was the 'top line' before the discount. You'd think this relevant detail would be included on the statement but we can only see it by logging in via browser online (the mobile app also says 68/62p).

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Aye, turns out that was the 'top line' before the discount. You'd think this relevant detail would be included on the statement but we can only see it by logging in via browser online (the mobile app also says 68/62p).

Am I being thick here or does this mean the companies are being allowed to crank the prices up over the cap and allow a govt initiative to pay that excess, ensuring they squeeze every available penny out of both govt AND consumer?