Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

3 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Ovo working fine for me. Put my readings on via the App on 7th & got my bill today.

In recent months I have been with the "Apollo" team. Not sure what this is but when I phone up, their automated system doesn't recognise my account number. When I get through, they take my details the  transfer me to this team who deal with me.

My meter readings are there on the site now, just no bill (and no cost of living refund)

Another thing i've just noticed & checked back on.

They add my Electricity & Gas together then deduct the £67 from this for my bill - which then is deducted from my balance.

But they have also been giving me the £67 each month into my bank account.

Not sure when or if they will realise & ask for it back.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64270157

Well.... I guess we all secretly knew that was coming. I'm sure it will come as great comfort to those who might have been thinking their brutal struggle was at least temporary.....

tbf it would be very difficult for the industry leaders to go back to barely surviving on the bonus levels pre-Russian invasion times. Meanwhile more worry for everybody just trying to survive. I'd be out on a demonstration if Sunak's lot weren't in the process of making that illegal. 

If that's what's happening with prices, then profit needs to be taken out of the equation. 

This is the need for warmth we're talking about here. It's not like fucking Starbucks putting their prices up because of shipping costs from Guatemala. 

Govts should be falling around the world if they let this scalping continue. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

If that's what's happening with prices, then profit needs to be taken out of the equation

This is the need for warmth we're talking about here. It's not like fucking Starbucks putting their prices up because of shipping costs from Guatemala. 

Govts should be falling around the world if they let this scalping continue. 

If I remember correctly Nicola Sturgeon announced plans to create a state run, not for profits energy company about 5 years ago.  I remember thinking at the time it would be a fairly complex and expensive task to do such a thing.  I’m not sure how the plans are going.

Edited by Shadow Play

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

If I remember correctly Nicola Sturgeon announced plans to create a state run, not for profits energy company about 5 years ago.  I remember thinking at the time it would be a fairly complex and expensive task to do such a thing.  I’m sure how the plans are going.

Pretty sure they were shelved. 

There is, of course, a very large range between "higher than pre-covid" and where they are currently.

If Governments are going to set unreasonable carbon targets then either Governments are going to have to subsidise the energy companies (costs which will be passed on to us through taxation) or we're going to pay for it through higher energy bills.

The greedy are often too stupid to know when to stop.

The energy companies are overreaching here. When folk are spending so much on energy (and no doubt the prices will be increasing, and more often), especially when the government help ends soon, they won't be spending in other areas and we'll see a recession, especially when other sectors/industries put up their prices more and more, and more often.

Corporate greed is the main driver of 'inflation'.

Dark times ahead unfortunately.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

The greedy are often too stupid to know when to stop.

The energy companies are overreaching here. When folk are spending so much on energy (and no doubt the prices will be increasing, and more often), especially when the government help ends soon, they won't be spending in other areas and we'll see a recession, especially when other sectors/industries put up their prices more and more, and more often.

Dark times ahead unfortunately.

You see this with most, if not all, mobile/internet suppliers who state prices will rise each year by inflation + x% every year.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

If I remember correctly Nicola Sturgeon announced plans to create a state run, not for profits energy company about 5 years ago.  I remember thinking at the time it would be a fairly complex and expensive task to do such a thing.  I’m not sure how the plans are going.

Shelved a couple of years back allegedly due to the pandemic and now the SG are focusing on a national energy agency instead. 

Apparently the Welsh Government are going to set up a publicly owned energy company. Will be interesting to see how they get on.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64270157

Well.... I guess we all secretly knew that was coming. I'm sure it will come as great comfort to those who might have been thinking their brutal struggle was at least temporary.....

Not withstanding the fact that an essential commodity should not be in the hands of profit driven organisations, that headline is a little disingenuous.

Later in the article;

"This will require a lot of investment and these investments need to be paid for, so I would assume that the energy bills may slightly be higher than in the past but not as volatile and high as we have today."

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Utter bollocks, unless you think that corporate greed is 5x higher right now than it was in recent years - and magically disappears in deflationary periods.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Shelved at roughly the same time the Scottish government sold off the North Sea bed for a song to energy companies. Lyin' Lorna Slater from the Greens trotted out to announce it in the Scottish parliament.

That’s my fixed deal ran out at the end of December there. Feeling the pain now - already spent £82 this month somehow. My 2022 usage was approx £850, that would’ve been £1,786 on my amazing new tariff. Genuinely unsure how many people are going to get by once the support stops. 

4 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That’s my fixed deal ran out at the end of December there. Feeling the pain now - already spent £82 this month somehow. My 2022 usage was approx £850, that would’ve been £1,786 on my amazing new tariff. Genuinely unsure how many people are going to get by once the support stops. 

The prices will be going up in a couple of months too, just as the support stops.

Then they'll go up again soon after that. Then up again. And once more up.

Pretty much every time the price cap changes I imagine we'll see an increase.