Energy Prices

4 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
Are you being switched from SSE to OVO as well? I got that email from SSE but it's not very clear how the account switch is affecting things.

Staying with SSE as far as I'm aware. OVO is just the parent company and has been for some time

Hmm. I got an email a while ago saying I was being switched to OVO and my direct debits were being combined into one. They only got around to actually doing that this week.

Hmm. I got an email a while ago saying I was being switched to OVO and my direct debits were being combined into one. They only got around to actually doing that this week.
Don't think I've received anything like that although tbh I've only started paying any attention to letters/emails from SSE since this shit show started

SSE are migrating all their customers from their retail platforms to OVO in a staged process.
You will receive notification when this is happening.
OVO and SSE prices were (when fixed tariffs were available) relatively the same.

The direct debit for OVO is taken as one payment as an energy direct debit rather than 2 separate that SSE used to do - 1 elec  /  1 gas.

Migration process takes around 21 days (similar to a change of supply process). Confirmation is usually sent when the account at the OVO side is set up and activated,

@MuckleMoo @Miguel Sanchez

SSE are migrating all their customers from their retail platforms to OVO in a staged process.
You will receive notification when this is happening.
OVO and SSE prices were (when fixed tariffs were available) relatively the same.

The direct debit for OVO is taken as one payment as an energy direct debit rather than 2 separate that SSE used to do - 1 elec  /  1 gas.

Migration process takes around 21 days (similar to a change of supply process). Confirmation is usually sent when the account at the OVO side is set up and activated,

[mention=36861]MuckleMoo[/mention] [mention=17467]Miguel Sanchez[/mention]
Cheers

10 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

If you don't mind me asking have you asked them to justify these charges? If he is currently splitting his estimated usage costs evenly throughout the year then the only rise he should see would be to take into account the October increase which would take it up to roughly £200 a month give or take. If he is doing the summer/winter different sized payments thing then it is more likely to be correct.

That’s a good point you’ve made.  I think he does the DD based on anticipated yearly cost divided by 12 though.  I THINK the problem may be that he has not submitted a reading for some considerable time.  The fact he has had the heating in all spring and summer probably has never been taken into account and his DD should have gone up some time ago.

I’m off on holiday next week so I think I will take your advice and call EDF.  Not how I really want to spend my days off but he would have done anything for me when he was able.  Least I can do for him.

31 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Got the dreaded letter. 

electricity increasing by £76.00

gas increasing by £176.00

I’m in a 1 bed flat for f**k sakes.

Keep an eye on how much you're using vs how much they're telling you to pay. I'm currently paying £300/month for electricity (heating is electric also) because those values were in preparation for the October rise - I asked for a bill a few days ago and I am hundreds of pounds in credit at the minute. I am just leaving it as it stands but the £300/month still seems far too high (admittedly my flat has these old storage heater things which I don't think are particularly efficient). 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Got the dreaded letter. 

electricity increasing by £76.00

gas increasing by £176.00

I’m in a 1 bed flat for f**k sakes.

These increases are suggestive to where your account and usage are at this minute.

Is your account in debt?
Is your a reading accurate for both?
Have you came off a lower rate tariff to the new SVT tariff prices?

If answered YES NO or YES to any that will explain what seems a big uplift in DD prices.

On 24/09/2022 at 15:52, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wee dehumidifier helps them along nicely too.

a massive +1 for this.

Meacodry Arete One this is one we got, it got an amazing write up, costs something like 3p an hour to run.

We have managed to get 2 loads dried the last few days without turning the heating on.

No action required: Your fixed tariff is priced below the Government Energy Price Guarantee, so you don't need to provide a meter reading on 30th Sep.

Received that text today. Because I'm a lazy arsehole can someone translate what that means? Definitely be giving them their monthly reading regardless the fly b*****ds.

No action required: Your fixed tariff is priced below the Government Energy Price Guarantee, so you don't need to provide a meter reading on 30th Sep.

Received that text today. Because I'm a lazy arsehole can someone translate what that means? Definitely be giving them their monthly reading regardless the fly b*****ds.
You're one of the lucky buggers that are on a fixed tariff. Your fixed rate is below what the government has capped so there will be no increase in your monthly payments. Would still be given them readings as you say

5 hours ago, steelmen said:

a massive +1 for this.

Meacodry Arete One this is one we got, it got an amazing write up, costs something like 3p an hour to run.

We have managed to get 2 loads dried the last few days without turning the heating on.

Aye I’ve got a Meaco too but think it was a cheaper version (paid around £100 I think from memory). No danger of any mould/condensation etc. either which is also a benefit as it can be an issue when drying clothes inside.

On 24/09/2022 at 15:52, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wee dehumidifier helps them along nicely too.

Agreed.  A dehumidifier actually makes the room feel warmer whether you are drying clothes or not.  A damper room will always feel colder and it is much harder to heat. 

8 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Agreed.  A dehumidifier actually makes the room feel warmer whether you are drying clothes or not.  A damper room will always feel colder and it is much harder to heat. 

Not sure you are correct there. Lower relative humidity allows faster evaporation, and causes you to feel cooler…higher relative humidity makes you feel warmer (and stickier). My smart thermostat has an option to cool the house up to 3F below set temperature to reduce humidity, if it exceeds 70% inside. While it does take a small amount of extra energy to heat a humid room, the humid air holds the heat more efficiently, and often feels more comfortable.