Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

I can see public unrest happening, every greedy b*****d is putting their prices up and the only one losing out is the poor punter. Food, petrol, energy, Sky everyone is having a pop at the moment. It will have to end somewhere and they are talking about a new Royal Yacht - they really have no grasp on reality.

The price of energy and fuel ultimately affects everything. And it's gone up massively. That's really where the main issue it is here and many of the associated rises are off the back of that. 

No-one really cares why it's happening; they care that it's affecting them. Vladimir Putin Is Bad isn't going to make someone that can't heat their home feel better about themselves: it's "thoughts and prayers" territory. Indeed, they'll be angry they're being punished for Putin's actions. 

It is pretty clear that the not-exactly-generous package Sunak announced isn't going to cut it. For starters, the NI increase should be binned, there's a quick action to help, and the support package needs reassessed ASAP. But again, that's a nice little moral thing, isn't it? You skipped a meal today, but at least are wonderful NHS got a budget increase. More thoughts and prayers for your predicament. 

On the "greedy b*****d" level, there are some that are however clearly at it. 

I filled my car last night and diesel was 15p a litre more expensive at the Esso than it was at Morrisons. Driving past a BP garage showed a similar differential. Any reasons for this, other than greed? 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I filled my car last night and diesel was 15p a litre more expensive at the Esso than it was at Morrisons. Driving past a BP garage showed a similar differential. Any reasons for this, other than greed? 

This isn't new to the past week. One BP garage near me had unleaded at 15p per litre more expensive that Tesco about 3 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Supposedly they can only change their prices when they get a new delivery, so maybe Morrisons hadn't got their new fuel in yet.

Mind you, it was my mum who told me this so it's almost certainly nonsense.

On 25/02/2022 at 20:42, Shipa said:

Can't help but wonder if the current situation in Ukraine is likely to result in/be used as an excuse for further price hikes? 

Oh you cynic, you...

Super market fuel is definitely of a lesser quality to fuel from a petrol station.

28 minutes ago, Empty It said:
4 hours ago, Michael W said:

Super market fuel is definitely of a lesser quality to fuel from a petrol station.

Unless you drive some kind of high performance car surely it makes very little difference.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It makes a difference long term to the health of the engine, regardless of the standard of vehicle.

What specifically is added to petrol to make the difference.  I see this claimed on many boards but it all appears to be hearsay with no actual evidence.  All fuel in the UK meets the BS standard and the Ron is the same (95) for all unleaded so not sure how every manufacturer's engines can work better if you use Shell v Asda.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

What specifically is added to petrol to make the difference.  I see this claimed on many boards but it all appears to be hearsay with no actual evidence.  All fuel in the UK meets the BS standard and the Ron is the same (95) for all unleaded so not sure how every manufacturer's engines can work better if you use Shell v Asda.

A family member owns a car garage and swears against using cheap supermarket fuel as they say the better quality fuel keeps the engine cleaner and in a better state, but I’ve never quizzed him on it. Maybe something in it doesn’t burn as cleanly.

BP/Shell fuel being better than supermarket is a myth.  It’s all comes out of the same refinery, after which there may be slight differences due to additives.

As mentioned, it’s produced to the same standard for RON 95, with higher octane fuels (super) burning more efficiently, but costing more. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It makes a difference long term to the health of the engine, regardless of the standard of vehicle.

all fuel is the exact same and is bought by the retailers from wholesale, BP don't necessarily make bp fuel and shell shell etc, all fuel comes from the refinery or depot which is most local to the station

2 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
21 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:
all fuel is the exact same and is bought by the retailers from wholesale, BP don't necessarily make bp fuel and shell shell etc, all fuel comes from the refinery or depot which is most local to the station

Incorrect

where does it come from then?