Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

On 25/02/2022 at 16:47, scottsdad said:

I'm guessing that when the day came and you popped your clogs, someone would do a meter reading then, and present your grieving family with a whopper of a bill. 

You'd be dead, you wouldn't give a f**k at that stage.

On a sort of related note, my old man, before expiry, was significantly overpaying the gas and leccy for quite some time. We ended up with a fair old rebate of the c***s. Was a surprising bit of money but I'd much rather he'd had more to live on when was still here rather than them taking the piss to boost their balance sheet. Execs who allow their companies to operate like that should be eligible for criminal charges.

No idea what my gas and electric will cost me here, not had a bill yet since buying the house. When renting, the costs are generally built into your rent and titled "Nebenkosten". The landlord had to do a full breakdown every quarter and justify the costs you were paying. Normally it would result in getting a rebate off them. I think only once in the 8 years I was renting here was I asked to pay more.

Edited by Ross.

On 27/02/2022 at 10:11, superbigal said:

The energy cap increase in April of 54% is misleading.
I do not know why they don't publish it as the real breakdown.
Basically Gas is up 75% from around 4p to 7p per unit.
Electricity rise is lower at 33% from 21p to 28p per unit. These are roughly the standard capped rates that the majority will now be on.
In the short term most people use Gas for heating and thus costs in the summer will not hit as hard in actual usage.
Keep this all in mind particularly if thinking of signing up for fixed term deals with Gas.
Crazy to do so if you are in a period when you are not using much.

Finally maybe not one for the forum polis, but if your energy firms are currently sending estimates with readings much higher than your usage. I would be tempted not to correct them.
Clearly submitting inflated readings now before April is fraudulent and I could not endorse.

It's not misleading, the energy cap is an average price, and overall, the price is rising by 54%. It's the same as the typical usage they give for gas & electric (12000 & 3000kWh) it's based on an average sized house that has both gas and electric. All of these figures are pointless for anyone that stays in a house heated by electricity.

The increase is mainly being driven by the spike in gas prices, but additionally the doubling of the standing charge for electricity - which is in part being used to pay for all the costs of the 'supplier of last resort' taking on the customers of all the suppliers that have went bust. And no doubt it'll increase next year when the Government claw back the £200 loan they're giving us. 

My gas is a prepayment meter 

I don’t even use my boiler than much thankfully I live in a naturally warm house, stick my heating on for about 20 minutes in the morning and that’s me all day 

But it’s still a pretty big jump. 

648FB89F-6B84-4D2C-A4F9-90753F878FE8.jpeg

Edit: They seem pretty desperate for me to switch to a smart meter, but I’m happy with the pre payment.

Least I can control how much cash I’m spending 

Edited by Clown Job

I managed to get a deal until October 23 back late last year which looks like a great deal at present. Wondering whether this will mean I will miss the worst of it? I already pay £230 a month. Some people must be proper struggling out there

You'd be better with Nuclear Power - far cleaner than coal.
Build dams, flood the Glens and let's go Hydroelectric. Plenty of rain in Scotland.

(disclaimer :- I am absolutely clueless on how much electricity this could produce and am too feckin lazy to google)

4 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Build dams, flood the Glens and let's go Hydroelectric. Plenty of rain in Scotland.

(disclaimer :- I am absolutely clueless on how much electricity this could produce and am too feckin lazy to google)

I think you've been flooded with glens if you think that the ecological damage that would be visited upon our lovely Highlands would be worth it or even achievable.

Even if we did, it wouldn't be enough.

Norway generate a huge amount of their power from hydro but as compared to ours, their geography is massively in their favour.

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

I managed to get a deal until October 23 back late last year which looks like a great deal at present. Wondering whether this will mean I will miss the worst of it? I already pay £230 a month. Some people must be proper struggling out there

Most likely, depending on how the Russian war goes.

But there seems to be mood music to change the reviews to 3 months rather than 6 months but I think I read forecasts that show it coming back down in April.

That said youre company might go bust and you'll be stuck on the price cap

5 hours ago, Clown Job said:

My gas is a prepayment meter 

I don’t even use my boiler than much thankfully I live in a naturally warm house, stick my heating on for about 20 minutes in the morning and that’s me all day 

But it’s still a pretty big jump. 

648FB89F-6B84-4D2C-A4F9-90753F878FE8.jpeg

Edit: They seem pretty desperate for me to switch to a smart meter, but I’m happy with the pre payment.

Least I can control how much cash I’m spending 

Regardless of what type of meter you have you’re still in control of what you’re spending.  You choose to switch the heating on.  How often do you want to use gas but you’ve got no credit in your meter (for whatever reason)?

You could make an instant saving by moving away from pre-pay.  It’s the most expensive option.

Our electricity with SSE is going up £400 odd quid.  We bought our house in December, and just stuck with the deal the previous owners were on.    From what I can see, there’s very little to be gained from switching and we’ll just have  to lump it. 

A government spokesperson said: "It is hard to predict what longer term impacts the current situation in Ukraine will have on energy costs.

"However, the energy price cap will continue to insulate millions of customers from volatile global gas prices."

Good news, the UK Government will be doing f**k all 

National strike please 

Edited by Clown Job

Got an email from OVO (SSE) today detailing the price rises from April the 1st.

Electric up from 21.40p to 29.10p per unit, but the one that I can't get my head around is the standing charge, which goes from  28.32p per day to a whopping 50.53p per day.

The standing charge reckons it keeps me connected to the network, pays for maintenance and meters to be read.

Fingers crossed there are some meter readers in for inflation-busting pay rises 🤣

Edited by LincolnHearts

On 28/02/2022 at 09:59, Frosty said:

Off topic but was interested in your comment about St James Place - what was it relating to?

Cheers

I'm not Satoshi but it's an open forum so I think I can jump in.  St James Place is notorious in personal finance circles for charging whopping adviser fees and the like, entry and exit fees for investing with them (mad), and basically just being a massively overpriced provider of investment services.  All they basically do is gaslight you into thinking they know best and all this investment stuff is way too complicated, and put your money in the same funds that a reasonably priced IFA will use, or that you could find yourself, and charge you 3/4/5% instead of 1% for the privilege.  It's not that it's a scam or anything, and your money will probably grow, but the fees can really restrict your returns.  The sensible approach (IMHO) is to use a proper IFA, or learn about passive investing yourself and DIY.   SJP have a massive plush office building surrounded by luxury motors in the west end of Aberdeen and every time I go past I'm reminded of the trope "where are the customers' yachts?!"