Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Am I being thick here or does this mean the companies are being allowed to crank the prices up over the cap and allow a govt initiative to pay that excess, ensuring they squeeze every available penny out of both govt AND consumer?

The Government is paying the excess mind. The energy price guarantee and the price cap are different. I don't actually know what the price cap is, but I think it's in excess of £4,000

21 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

We have taken our energy company to the ombudsman and won our complaint,we have not been billed correctly for electricity since we moved into the house May 2021 due to a faulty smart meter.We are now £1004 in credit and getting a new meter fitted next week.

They also tried to charge us for gas use(not standing charge) when we are away most weekends and the boiler is switched off

Nice work!

How many more are they screwing over? I’ve had all sorts of issues with my energy supplier recently. Absolutely scandalous behaviour from call centre staff (when you finally get through to speak to a human). 

It is quite clearly instructions from on high that these staff are working on. 

73A34AFE-2031-442C-9705-33C2795A92A1.gif.d99ae98580fdc3ce1645a51cb58b2083.gif

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Nice work!

How many more are they screwing over? I’ve had all sorts of issues with my energy supplier recently. Absolutely scandalous behaviour from call centre staff (when you finally get through to speak to a human). 

It is quite clearly instructions from on high that these staff are working on. 

73A34AFE-2031-442C-9705-33C2795A92A1.gif.d99ae98580fdc3ce1645a51cb58b2083.gif

We do everything by email as we wanted a written timeline and didn't want them saying ohh we didn't say that and our call recording isn't working.

With energy prices now expected to fall below the Energy Price Guarantee in Q3 & Q4 I wonder if this comes to fruition if it might re-open the market for competition and see providers offering fixed price tariffs again.

I'm seeing a good few adverts from OVO lately about switching to them, which is something I haven't seen for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Energy companies yet again ripping the piss assisted by the government. Refund £67 every month, then review the customers DD amounts before hitting out with 'your amount needs to increase because you have been under-paying us'. In my case £100 per month DD, which based on last quarter my total bill was £296, however due to the £67pm refund I had only paid £120 towards it so made a manual top up payment (at time of billing).............does that matter, does it f**k they are still wanting to increase my DD now to £150. Just another way to take customers money and keep it in their accounts...............c**t behaviour from them all in what is best described as a cartel fucking folk over

• 2 weeks later...

It's not funny, obviously, as it's expensive AF, but we are only hours away now from the "outrage" at ofgem for increasing energy bills despite them cutting the cap by almost £1,100.

The 3 monthly review is actually benefitting the public the way it was said it would.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What benefits are we getting when the energy prices continue to go up? This is at the same time as the government help is being removed.

The energy companies still get unprecedented profit. The govt get to stop paying for the scum. 

Presumably we get the warm glow if knowing that the energy companies continue to invest in keeping Britain warm..... or some shit like that

Edited by Bairnardo

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What benefits are we getting when the energy prices continue to go up? This is at the same time as the government help is being removed.

Energy prices aren't going up, though. They've quite literally just come down by £1,000.

The reason they appear to be going up is the bit in bold. The reason for rolling back the energy price guarantee was because it was uncapped and uncosted. The UK Gov now know what the cost of extending this to July (when the cap is currently forecast to fall by about £1,000 again) would be. I'm surprised tbh no-one from Labour has been lobbying, even just to annoy them, the UK Gov to extend the guarantee till July.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Energy prices aren't going up, though. They've quite literally just come down by £1,000.

The reason they appear to be going up is the bit in bold. The reason for rolling back the energy price guarantee was because it was uncapped and uncosted. The UK Gov now know what the cost of extending this to July (when the cap is currently forecast to fall by about £1,000 again) would be. I'm surprised tbh no-one from Labour has been lobbying, even just to annoy them, the UK Gov to extend the guarantee till July.

So we aren't going to see a £7k price cap that you were posting about last year? 

On 17/02/2023 at 08:52, bdu98196 said:

Energy companies yet again ripping the piss assisted by the government. Refund £67 every month, then review the customers DD amounts before hitting out with 'your amount needs to increase because you have been under-paying us'. In my case £100 per month DD, which based on last quarter my total bill was £296, however due to the £67pm refund I had only paid £120 towards it so made a manual top up payment (at time of billing).............does that matter, does it f**k they are still wanting to increase my DD now to £150. Just another way to take customers money and keep it in their accounts...............c**t behaviour from them all in what is best described as a cartel fucking folk over

Exact same thing for me, not had any notification of my DD changing as yet. Ive been taking readings fortnightly to ensure the balance in the account is as close to zero as possible come the bill next month. 

Small victories but don't want the b*****ds to have a penny more than they're due. 

On 28/02/2023 at 06:45, Todd_is_God said:

Well no, because wholesale prices have come down. I'm not really sure what your point is here tbh.

It's almost as if the accuracy of predicting commodity prices months ahead is folly.

Anyway, is this over as a private wealth emergency?

48 minutes ago, strichener said:

It's almost as if the accuracy of predicting commodity prices months ahead is folly.

I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make tbh.

The projections at the were based on the trend at the time, and the threat was real hence the initial period of the Energy Guarantee being 24 months.

Just had a look at mine and they have put up my direct debit by £100 a month! Didn't even have the courtesy to tell me!!

I used 25% less electricity than they forecast between August 1st and January 31st. They are saying that I might end up using more between February and July and saying the usage would be 150% more than the same period last year!!

Edited by statts1976uk

On 27/02/2023 at 14:37, Todd_is_God said:

I'm surprised tbh no-one [has]... been lobbying... the UK Gov to extend the guarantee till July.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2023/mar/03/energy-firms-uk-government-support-price-guarantee-epg-economy-services-cost-of-living-business-live

Edited by Todd_is_God