Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The prices will be going up in a couple of months too, just as the support stops.

Then they'll go up again soon after that. Then up again. And once more up.

Pretty much every time the price cap changes I imagine we'll see an increase. 

The next couple of months of winter should be OK - there’s the support there as well as no council tax for these months. The summer will probably be reasonable if it’s half decent weather wise. It’s next winter that the government really need to have a plan for, something needs to be done about this. Working class families with bigger houses, old people who have the heating on loads, small businesses who make marginal profits as it is - they’re all going to be absolutely fucked. Pretty depressing.

14 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The next couple of months of winter should be OK - there’s the support there as well as no council tax for these months. The summer will probably be reasonable if it’s half decent weather wise. It’s next winter that the government really need to have a plan for, something needs to be done about this. Working class families with bigger houses, old people who have the heating on loads, small businesses who make marginal profits as it is - they’re all going to be absolutely fucked. Pretty depressing.

Businesses are fucked. So many will be closing, in all industries. 

Next winter will be shocking for everyone except the rich. We're going to see deaths because of it.

This is going to be absolutely massive and an enormous crisis if nothing is done, possibly worse than the pandemic. More businesses will shut because of this I think, as their energy rates will massively multiply, which combined with people spending less overall because of having to pay increased energy bills will lead to massive closures and folk  being laid off (folk who will need to pay their increased energy bills with no job).

It's going to be an absolute disaster. The Conservatives know they'll probably lose the next election so will do nothing about it and Labour are a shower of cowards who pander to the worst folk in society, so f**k knows if they'll do anything, although it will be far too late by the time they come in to power.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This is going to be absolutely massive and an enormous crisis if nothing is done, possibly worse than the pandemic.

The obvious answer is to shovel as much coal as possible into furnaces to generate electricity and leave the more expensive gas reserves for heating homes.

However, I think you are reading too much into the wording of one energy exec.

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The obvious answer is to shovel as much coal as possible into furnaces to generate electricity and leave the more expensive gas reserves for heating homes.

However, I think you are reading too much into the wording of one energy exec.

I don't think so. Prices will increase and government help will stop. There's already many people struggling and many businesses struggling. It's going to get so much worse.

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The prices will be going up in a couple of months too, just as the support stops.

Then they'll go up again soon after that. Then up again. And once more up.

Pretty much every time the price cap changes I imagine we'll see an increase. 

So what do you expect the average bill to be in twelve months' time? 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, experts have been significantly reducing their estimates for months. There's no guarantee that will last given the delicate geopolitics involved, but that is the actual situation right now  It's almost as if prices can both rise and fall!

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64270157

Well.... I guess we all secretly knew that was coming. I'm sure it will come as great comfort to those who might have been thinking their brutal struggle was at least temporary.....

A bit of a gloomy take..

I would assume that the energy bills may slightly be higher than in the past but not as volatile and high as we have today.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Utter bollocks, unless you think that corporate greed is 5x higher right now than it was in recent years - and magically disappears in deflationary periods.

So you can just ignore that situations create and destroy opportunities to increase returns? For an “educated” individual, your pronouncements certainly belay that idea. Everyone get your VT bingo cards ready.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm smart enough not to give a f**k what gas spot prices are in Amsterdam because that makes zero difference to my bills.

Our bills will not come down and the energy support scheme will be phased out.

Your current "tariff" is heavily subsidised. It's currently projected to be around the same as now by Q3 without any subsidy - i.e. they are already coming down.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Your current "tariff" is heavily subsidised. It's currently projected to be around the same as now by Q3 without any subsidy - i.e. they are already coming down.

I'll believe it when I see it.

UK Gov/BoE predictions are usually made for political reasons.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

So you can just ignore that situations create and destroy opportunities to increase returns? For an “educated” individual, your pronouncements certainly belay that idea. Everyone get your VT bingo cards ready.

No chance of you passing yourself off as an educated individual, given the incoherent, dribbling nick of that post. 

Martin Lewis did an explainer on his TV show showing that although the year ahead prices have dropped (mainly due to mild winter in Europe), they're still well above what we were paying before Russia invaded Ukraine, 4 x higher. Our energy bills are only 2.5 x higher due to the time lag of prices and when they set the price cap and because of the Government's price guarantee. Bottom line is the price cap is still very high, well above the price guarantee, so we'd need to see gas wholesale prices drop a lot further and for a lot longer before it means prices drop below the current price guarantee. And even then, they'll still be above the price guarantee as it is now, because it's due to go up again in April. So depressing as f**k.

The windfall tax we have that still means the energy companies like that Norwegian one in the BBC article are still making tons more profit, and its not really a surprise that they are saying energy prices will continue to be a bit higher than they were in the past while using the old 'we need to make profits to fund all the investment' and are making noises about windfall taxes making them think about where to invest. They after all are the b*****ds that are making tons of money, and half the politicians are in their back pocket. So even more depressing as f**k.

Edited to add link to Martin Lewis video on twitter

Edited by s_dog