Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

It'll be interesting to see what they settle on come April. I doubt very much that they will bump millions of households onto an Energy Cap that will likely still be over £4,000 though.

I've no idea how Liz Truss can remain the PM, though, as her credibility is now absolutely zero.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Seems daft to subsidise people who can well afford to pay the market price.

Sensible to target support.

It is sensible to target based upon means…especially for taxes and tax rates, eh? Higher income, higher rates…why stop at 45%?

I think the past peaks in that graph will be having an effect for a while yet, so we need to see that price continuing to trend downwards for a little while. 

In terms of government support being rowed back, the only reason it is feasible in any way to do so is because of this decrease. The previous plans were also entirely uncosted, albeit necessary. In addition to obvious cost issues depending on where the price goes after April, there is a further risk of exacerbating inflation. 

Edited by Michael W

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

As was the case 3 weeks ago, there's no way they are going to allow large swathes of the population to move onto that cap as the growth in economy they absolutely need is reliant on people being able to spend money in it.

I think they will just do a cap in the winter and frame energy use during the summer as a luxury going forward. Hunt is a Great Reset politician so will be trying to bring down overall consumption and reset expectations about access to energy. 

Edited by Detournement

Just received our latest bill with revised DD. Between what our previous bill was, and what we've paid and what our charges are in this period it's put us into a small debit.....but the hoors have decided to ADD the £66 credit to the debit therefore increasing it rather than reducing it so we've seen no benefit of the £66. Just off the phone to them (EDF), they've agreed they've fucked up and will send out an amended bill. They've went a bit gung ho with their estimates on what our usage will be as well but that's an arguement for another day.

I've lived without heating for over 8 years now* and I don't have a lovely warm log fire like her.

Where is my (presumably paid) newspaper story?!

*Would not recommend. A stupid story featuring a stupid man who has made a series of stupid decisions often due to stupid mental health.

Edited by DA Baracus

58 minutes ago, RiG said:

Fair play to the Telegraph and it's ongoing attempts to normalise the energy crisis with stories like these:

They’re just slowly trying to normalise being cold so anyone who complains about it can just be dismissed, probably as a “woke”

I can also pretty much guarantee that wood burners heads up every room in the house. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Fair play to the Telegraph and it's ongoing attempts to normalise the energy crisis with stories like these:

The dog is looking at her with a "please, just stick the heating on for 10 minutes" expression on its face.