Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Just got my email to say that my DD is down from £246 to £179.

The calm before the storm.

Looks like your 67 discount has been applied unless I've got my sums wrong?

19 hours ago, RH33 said:

That was yesterday's update from them.

If you're not on a fix the electric rate was supposed to be rising to around 52p, but the new price cap guarantee means no one will pay over 34p. If you're on a fix that is charging you more, it should get reduced (but might not be as low as the price guarantee rates), but if you're still paying a lot more you should be able to ask to cancel it and go on the standard variable which is covered by this two year price guarantee.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-price-guarantee/

Just had an email from my provider OVO/SSE informing me I will be put on some compulsory monthly direct debit scheme at their designated contributions rate. I've always refused to pay by DD and just pay on a quarterly basis based on actual meter readings rather than having big corporations sitting on my money, between this and sending unrequested letters telling me they have assigned a date to install a smart meter is a joke and bullying tactics.

This government discount is just being used as another scheme to enforce customers to be at the mercy of big business and let them take and hold further wealth from its customer base without control or repercussions.

55 minutes ago, s_dog said:

If you're not on a fix the electric rate was supposed to be rising to around 52p, but the new price cap guarantee means no one will pay over 34p. If you're on a fix that is charging you more, it should get reduced (but might not be as low as the price guarantee rates), but if you're still paying a lot more you should be able to ask to cancel it and go on the standard variable which is covered by this two year price guarantee.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-price-guarantee/

Not on fixed. I'll have a look.

Just logged on, after some considerable wait, to Shell Energy to submit by readings.  My monthly payments have been up and down like a whore's drawers for months. I currently pay £135 a month and I am currently £202 in credit. Shell energy are of the opinion I should now adjust my DD to £338 a month. Aye nae bother.

25 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I did my readings and submitted to EDF at 23:55 last night, no website issues for me.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You're lucky you got on the website.

Just tried to login at 2am to see if I have any updates and there's a queue system in place.

It's a 20-minute wait just to login.

At 2am on a Sunday morning.  😂

Get a life FFS.  Why would you feel the need to login at near midnight or 2am to submit a meter reading when doing it any anytime in the next 10 days will suffice.

Even if they overestimated your usage by a days worth the difference would be a couple of quid and you'd get it back once you submitted the correct reading.

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

Get a life FFS.  Why would you feel the need to login at near midnight or 2am to submit a meter reading when doing it any anytime in the next 10 days will suffice.

Even if they overestimated your usage by a days worth the difference would be a couple of quid and you'd get it back once you submitted the correct reading.

Is this not more to do with submitting readings before the rate rise, rather than being bothered about when the bill gets charged?

Will a submission in the next 10 days still get it on the lower pre-hike rate?

Eta: I forgot all about this, but thankfully my last meter reading submission was just a couple of weeks ago.  Was tempting to add an extra number onto the end, but would probably get shot through the head by the E.On man.

Edited by Hedgecutter

50 minutes ago, strichener said:

Because I had watched Match of the Day and remembered just before I went to bed. Took literally 2 minutes.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Is this not more to do with submitting readings before the rate rise, rather than being bothered about when the bill gets charged?

Will a submission in the next 10 days still get it on the lower pre-hike rate?

Eta: I forgot all about this, but thankfully my last meter reading submission was just a couple of weeks ago.  Was tempting to add an extra number onto the end, but would probably get shot through the head by the E.On man.

You can submit a historical meter reading there is absolutely no reason to be logging a meter reading a 2am.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Wind your neck in and mind your own business.

Says the guy that posted his wierd behaviour on an open forum.

You are utterly obsessed about energy prices which is completely at odds with your usual "life is too short".  Given that you have posted about how you have retired then it makes your behaviour even more strange.  What happened to your sense of perspective?

My smart metre isn't speaking to thr display. Was installed couple weeks ago but I didn't realise I'd loose my cheaper night rate. Explains why no matter who I went with was insisting on installing one.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

My smart metre isn't speaking to thr display. Was installed couple weeks ago but I didn't realise I'd loose my cheaper night rate. Explains why no matter who I went with was insisting on installing one.

I'm with Octopus Energy.   When they installed a smartmeter in March, it didn't show, or record the Day and Night rates, just the day,

Took about a month of emails going back and forth with their support people before they finally downloaded the right software to the home display.

and got it working right. On the overall KwH's and costs, that is. It's not set up to display the separate details for the 2 rates.

I never bother with having the home display switched on now. I get all the info I need when, at the end of each month, I read the

meter, and enter the the readings into their website. That automatically generates a new bill, and deducts from my credit balance.

Keeps everything simple, and I can closely track my useage month to month.

14 hours ago, strichener said:

What were you doing at 2pm? Ching off hookers' tits? 

We took the plunge in July and got a smart meter installed (we're with EDF). Whilst it's nice to see at a glance what we're spending I get the fear when I see it going over £4.50 😆. The app has been handy to see the breakdown and we've been averaging about £110 to £120 a month since it got installed. Thankfully we're in credit by about £360 but we've no idea what our bills are going to go up by, the app saying our next bill won't be generated until 2nd November so it's a waiting game at our end just now.