Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

31 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Got the dreaded letter. 

electricity increasing by £76.00

gas increasing by £176.00

I’m in a 1 bed flat for f**k sakes.

Keep an eye on how much you're using vs how much they're telling you to pay. I'm currently paying £300/month for electricity (heating is electric also) because those values were in preparation for the October rise - I asked for a bill a few days ago and I am hundreds of pounds in credit at the minute. I am just leaving it as it stands but the £300/month still seems far too high (admittedly my flat has these old storage heater things which I don't think are particularly efficient). 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Got the dreaded letter. 

electricity increasing by £76.00

gas increasing by £176.00

I’m in a 1 bed flat for f**k sakes.

These increases are suggestive to where your account and usage are at this minute.

Is your account in debt?
Is your a reading accurate for both?
Have you came off a lower rate tariff to the new SVT tariff prices?

If answered YES NO or YES to any that will explain what seems a big uplift in DD prices.

On 24/09/2022 at 15:52, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wee dehumidifier helps them along nicely too.

a massive +1 for this.

Meacodry Arete One this is one we got, it got an amazing write up, costs something like 3p an hour to run.

We have managed to get 2 loads dried the last few days without turning the heating on.

No action required: Your fixed tariff is priced below the Government Energy Price Guarantee, so you don't need to provide a meter reading on 30th Sep.

Received that text today. Because I'm a lazy arsehole can someone translate what that means? Definitely be giving them their monthly reading regardless the fly b*****ds.

No action required: Your fixed tariff is priced below the Government Energy Price Guarantee, so you don't need to provide a meter reading on 30th Sep.

Received that text today. Because I'm a lazy arsehole can someone translate what that means? Definitely be giving them their monthly reading regardless the fly b*****ds.
You're one of the lucky buggers that are on a fixed tariff. Your fixed rate is below what the government has capped so there will be no increase in your monthly payments. Would still be given them readings as you say

5 hours ago, steelmen said:

a massive +1 for this.

Meacodry Arete One this is one we got, it got an amazing write up, costs something like 3p an hour to run.

We have managed to get 2 loads dried the last few days without turning the heating on.

Aye I’ve got a Meaco too but think it was a cheaper version (paid around £100 I think from memory). No danger of any mould/condensation etc. either which is also a benefit as it can be an issue when drying clothes inside.

8 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Agreed.  A dehumidifier actually makes the room feel warmer whether you are drying clothes or not.  A damper room will always feel colder and it is much harder to heat. 

Not sure you are correct there. Lower relative humidity allows faster evaporation, and causes you to feel cooler…higher relative humidity makes you feel warmer (and stickier). My smart thermostat has an option to cool the house up to 3F below set temperature to reduce humidity, if it exceeds 70% inside. While it does take a small amount of extra energy to heat a humid room, the humid air holds the heat more efficiently, and often feels more comfortable.

I haven't received an email telling what my DD is being increased to, so I went on to the supplier's website to see what I could find out.  With a bit of digging I found that my minimum DD has changed from my current payment to £35 less than that.

So if suppliers want to increase your DD, they're only too quick to tell you, but if you can pay less they don't bother letting you know.  

Anyway, I'll take the good news.  

Remember to submit a meter reading today folks.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

I haven't received an email telling what my DD is being increased to, so I went on to the supplier's website to see what I could find out.  With a bit of digging I found that my minimum DD has changed from my current payment to £35 less than that.

So if suppliers want to increase your DD, they're only too quick to tell you, but if you can pay less they don't bother letting you know.  

Anyway, I'll take the good news.  

Remember to submit an inflated meter reading today folks.

Not that I would recommend that. It's fraud.

14 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Not that I would recommend that. It's fraud.

Whilst it's unlikely you'll get caught, it's difficult to argue the small risk is really worth it anyway. Assuming you are already on the price cap, 1MWh of gas is going to be around £30 more expensive next month than this month, and 240kWh of electricity £14.40 more.

The £400 rebate will take care of most, if not all, of the increases over the next few months, and the unit price isn't going to change again anytime soon.

All you are really doing if you fire in inflated readings is paying for a bit of your winter usage in advance.