Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

Obviously we have a daily standing charge and need to use the hot water. But I'd recommend investing in a kudd.ly (basically a massive fleece hoodie). I think the Oodie was the original but having looked into them the kudd.ly is cheaper and just as good if not better. Mine arrived and I've barely taken it off in the house since. Ridiculously warm without overheating and you can still function around the house with it on.

They are pricey but have dropped just now to £59 each. The more you buy the more they knock off. I'll likely have to have the heating on at some point for the kids but if I lived alone I'm confident I wouldn't have it on this winter by wearing one of these.

(I'm not a bot, honestly).

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Obviously we have a daily standing charge and need to use the hot water. But I'd recommend investing in a kudd.ly (basically a massive fleece hoodie). I think the Oodie was the original but having looked into them the kudd.ly is cheaper and just as good if not better. Mine arrived and I've barely taken it off in the house since. Ridiculously warm without overheating and you can still function around the house with it on.

They are pricey but have dropped just now to £59 each. The more you buy the more they knock off. I'll likely have to have the heating on at some point for the kids but if I lived alone I'm confident I wouldn't have it on this winter by wearing one of these.

(I'm not a bot, honestly).

Wheres your dignity man

Screenshot_20220926-173909_Samsung Internet.jpg

31 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Oodies are class tbf. However I don’t know about about buying the Lidl version of one.

On a different point what will use more electricity, ‘the big light’ or a lamp from the mains?

Depends on the power rating in Watts. Generally a table lamp has a lower rating than the big light. LED bulbs are available with a considerably lower power rating.

Oodies are class tbf. However I don’t know about about buying the Lidl version of one.
On a different point what will use more electricity, ‘the big light’ or a lamp from the mains?

They're the same price.

Eta - and double lined unlike the Oodie apparently.

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

My tariffs don't seem to have changed and I've no new appliances. Only fridge and radio alarm at night.

Screenshot_20220926_131201.thumb.jpg.7db3a7b7676ca1afc561d6adfe0251fd.jpgScreenshot_20220926_131217.thumb.jpg.51822e0015407050001af9a6aa949d29.jpg

Something not right, you are on same Tariff cost as me with Octopus, only difference being you have a smart. I'd contact them and query.

4 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Something not right, you are on same Tariff cost as me with Octopus, only difference being you have a smart. I'd contact them and query.

Aye, dropped them an e-mail, they have added my £67 discount so DD has come down to around £50.

Now paying monthly on the bill by DD on manual readings after my fix with Shell ended - I reckon the 400 quid handout will keep the pain over a 1yr average down to around 15/20% up, but the next six bills won't be nice when the heating is back on (finally caved in tonight). Thank f**k I've got the mortgage rate locked in for 4 years, as that's where the real pain might be heading now.....

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am sure this will work smoothly and effortlessly for Scottish Power customers.

Expect a letter demanding that you pay them £400.

Yes, I know you're not with them anymore, but you've pissed them off.

5 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Depends on the power rating in Watts. Generally a table lamp has a lower rating than the big light. LED bulbs are available with a considerably lower power rating.

You’ll hear 90%+ lower tossed out, but that’s crap. I saved a bundle converting the house to LEDs, with the average 60w equivalent LED only using 7-9w. If you have vision issues with the LED light (some people see flickering or strobing), the CFLs are a viable choice, but use about 15w, or twice an LED. A nice directionally shaded LED can produce prodigious amounts of light for very few watts. Assuming 37p per kWh, a 60w equivalent LED using 7w would cost less than 0.26p per hour versus the standard incandescent using 2.2p per hour.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Stepdaughter Nr 3 was talking to her mother yesterday, and said it was now costing her £60.00/wk in electricity.

Does she have electric heating? If so then this sounds about right. If not, I would ask if she is growing illegal weeds in a spare room.

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Does she have electric heating? If so then this sounds about right. If not, I would ask if she is growing illegal weeds in a spare room.

No, she has oil heating + a stove in the living room, which isn't connected to the radiators.

I'm not sure why her consumption is so high, there are 6 of them in the house, washing machine would be on a lot, and everybody would be on i-phones and laptops and charging phones etc, (apart from the 2 year old).

8 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Apologies if i have missed more context to this.... but whats up with this?

I had a rise in my smart reader reading from 28p to 60p so days have gone uo to 1.10 from 80p for electricity for some reason without my tariff not changing recently. No new appliances or anything. I'm quite frugal at the moment always turning off lights and the like.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, she has oil heating + a stove in the living room, which isn't connected to the radiators.

I'm not sure why her consumption is so high, there are 6 of them in the house, washing machine would be on a lot, and everybody would be on i-phones and laptops and charging phones etc, (apart from the 2 year old).

At the current rate of 28p per unit and daily standing charge of 45p, £60 per week equates to 203 kWh of electricity (29 per day / 10,585 per year)

Even allowing for the above average use with there being 6 of them that is an insane amount of electricity to use without electric heating - its over 3.5 times higher than the average use.

39 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I had a rise in my smart reader reading from 28p to 60p so days have gone uo to 1.10 from 80p for electricity for some reason without my tariff not changing recently. No new appliances or anything. I'm quite frugal at the moment always turning off lights and the like.

The screen shot you took was what your prices were and what they will be -  i have misconstrued what you were meaning, Apologies.