Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

4 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Martin Lewis explained this last night, the sweet spot is about £125 a month, if that is what you pay at the moment on average over the course of a year then the £400 will basically cancel out the raise and leave your DD untouched. If you currently pay less than that (which am guessing you do) then you will actually pay less when that £400 is taken off hence the DD reduction.

Interesting cheers, but I'm actually a little more than that. Currently £190pcm dropping to £170.

few notes from Thailand.

petrol has gone DOWN 10 baht this week (back to normal)....£0.88 per L

food prices have also dropped

electricity will still rise by 15% on 1st Oct. (Government say only for 3 months then back to normal)

Edited by SlipperyP

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

How do you dry clothes?

In my case, screens in the spare bedroom, occassionally stick something on the radiator if required quickly. I realise not everyone has a spare bedroom to do this though and when you have a family of 5 or whatever waiting 2-3 for clothes to dry naturally at room temp wouldn't really be an option.

British Gas seem to be doing things differently from others (eg E-On) in that for the 6 months from October 22 to March 23 they will take your monthly direct debit but will then immediately refund you £67. Since my DD is currently £59 I have to assume that they'll refund me £59 and credit my account with the other £8.

Seems a strange way to do it, I rather they just credited my account with the £67 each month.

Does anyone know what's happening with the Warm Home Discount? My mother is 80 and got the £140 credited to her account last year. I know it increased to £150 but with all the other CoL money making the headlines, the WHD seems to have been buried.

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

British Gas seem to be doing things differently from others (eg E-On) in that for the 6 months from October 22 to March 23 they will take your monthly direct debit but will then immediately refund you £67. Since my DD is currently £59 I have to assume that they'll refund me £59 and credit my account with the other £8.

Seems a strange way to do it, I rather they just credited my account with the £67 each month.

Yeah, Octopus doing the same. Means I will just have to make a manual payment each month for the £66 refunded back to me as I would prefer it to remain in my energy account. A two min job each month I suppose, not the end of the world.

Edited by bobbykdy

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Does anyone know what's happening with the Warm Home Discount? My mother is 80 and got the £140 credited to her account last year. I know it increased to £150 but with all the other CoL money making the headlines, the WHD seems to have been buried.

I got the same from EDF.

They will take my d/d and from October for 6 months will pay me £67.

In your case surely they’ll take your full d/d, whatever it is at the time but separately refund you the £67 x 6 making up the £400?

To give you an idea.

The direct debit will come out normally. So for talking sake you pay £100.
Once the DD clears, the amount due back - If you have an ACTIVE direct debit £66 for the first two months is automatically paid back to you within 5 Working days. What you chose to do with this money is, of course, entirely up to you. The next 4 months £67 is paid back by the same method.

You do not need to apply for it or request the refund - your energy company will do it for you.

Hope this is helpful and clear

19 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

To give you an idea.

The direct debit will come out normally. So for talking sake you pay £100.
Once the DD clears, the amount due back - If you have an ACTIVE direct debit £66 for the first two months is automatically paid back to you within 5 Working days. What you chose to do with this money is, of course, entirely up to you. The next 4 months £67 is paid back by the same method.

You do not need to apply for it or request the refund - your energy company will do it for you.

Hope this is helpful and clear

I am sure this will work smoothly and effortlessly for Scottish Power customers.

44 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

E-on wanted to put my DD up from 118 dual fuel to 270 - which im certain is a load of bollocks. i went to monthly meter reading bills, lets hope it's the  right thing, either way they can stick 270 up their arse, i'd rather freeze than give the c***s that much

If your £118 is covering your usage all year round (taking into account higher winter use also) and you are not currently underpaying then the £400 from the government should cover the rise and you shouldn't need to increase it at all.

On 24/09/2022 at 17:40, bobbykdy said:

Yeah, Octopus doing the same. Means I will just have to make a manual payment each month for the £66 refunded back to me as I would prefer it to remain in my energy account. A two min job each month I suppose, not the end of the world.

Have you received a new tariff? My prices seem to have gone up already. 

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Have you received a new tariff? My prices seem to have gone up already. 

Not yet as I am not on a smart meter, Octopus did mail to say they were going to have their prices set at 4% below the new cap from 1 October.

Got email from Ovo today Electric should almost double & Gas will more than double

Electricity

Your current plan until 5 October 2022

Standing Charge (per day)

26.19p

Unit rate

(per kWh)

18.96p

Estimated Annual Cost

£713

Simpler Energy prices from 6 October 2022

50.66p

Unit rate

(per kWh)

33.76p

Estimated Annual Cost

£1283

Gas

Your current plan until 5 October 2022

24.60p

Unit rate

(per kWh)

3.80p

Estimated Annual Cost

£469

Simpler Energy prices from 6 October 2022

28.48p

Unit rate

(per kWh)

10.27p

Estimated Annual Cost

£1128

2 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Not yet as I am not on a smart meter, Octopus did mail to say they were going to have their prices set at 4% below the new cap from 1 October.

Yeah, I was wondering as I have a smart meter. Buy prices seemed ti have gone uo since around Friday. My electric meter iised to come on with 28p now it starts at 60p. Gas only comes on as used.