Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:
We’re going to have to become those pishy auld c***s that go down the nearest hovel of a pub and nurse a single flat pint of heavy the whole night aren’t we?

Become ???

I’m disappointed you think of me like that, I’m neither auld nor pishy, i only sot down the pub to use the wifi for p&b

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

That’s grim

Almost as grim as the c***s who have put us in this position and still not deemed unelectable by large parts of little England 

I don’t think people behind itv are stupid enough to think people would like this initiative and I truly believe we are now entering a hunger games reality and David Icke was right all along.

45 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The downside I suppose is that we'll be stuck with April's rise for the foreseeable future but honestly I think I'd accept that under the circumstances.

I don't think the current unit prices are that ridiculous tbh, and I would be pleasantly surprised if they ever drop significantly below them again.

Getting rid of standing charges, however, and removing the link between gas price and electric price is where any future relief on the current cap is likely to be.

SMEs and manufacturers need support, though - coupled with a domestic price freeze no amount of interest rate rises will cool inflation if business rates are allowed to rise unchecked.

Unless I completely misread it, the BBC are saying that Truss will announce on Thursday this week that she's going to freeze prices at the current level (not Octobers) and setup a bank fund for the energy companies to dip into - to be paid back over 10 years or so. In other words, pretty much exactly what the energy companies asked for.
The downside I suppose is that we'll be stuck with April's rise for the foreseeable future but honestly I think I'd accept that under the circumstances. A bit of thought about how much heating I'm using will take care of most of that.
I'll believe it when it's done though. And also I've not seen anything about what she'll do for small businesses.
To be honest I would bite your hand off if that was the case. Still a shite state of affairs but a bit less shite than what we are facing at the moment
Forgot to add, price cap for businesses is an absolute must or the economy is gubbed.

So it's just kicking the problem down the road to next year? It's still chilly in April quite often, and when the prices don't go down and we go in to winter 2023, what then? Indeed, what if the prices go up again after April?

Even without heating, the April rises will be a massive hit to loads of folk and really not affordable to too many people anyway.

So it's just kicking the problem down the road to next year? It's still chilly in April quite often, and when the prices don't go down and we go in to winter 2023, what then? Indeed, what if the prices go up again after April?
Even without heating, the April rises will be a massive hit to loads of folk and really not affordable to too many people anyway.
The way I read it was that the cap would remain until prices stabilise to what we have now. Of course we are going to have to pay but the tax payer always does. Rather pay over 10 or 20 years than upfront now. I've been told I will need to pay £700 a month come January, ain't going to happen because I simply can't afford it.

This is a monumental f**k up by successive governments, not just something that has suddenly jumped up and bitten us in the arse. We will have to pay the same way as the bankers crash in 2008 and Covid. The elite will be fucking loving it!!

Do we import a lot of gas from Russia? As a country with an embarrassment of natural resources, surprised so many happy to pay a huge amount more than our EU neighbours. I thought that we could power the majority of domestic electricity on wind power alone. There's something not quite right about the disparity in energy increase in the UK IMO.

Do we import a lot of gas from Russia? As a country with an embarrassment of natural resources, surprised so many happy to pay a huge amount more than our EU neighbours. I thought that we could power the majority of domestic electricity on wind power alone. There's something not quite right about the disparity in energy increase in the UK IMO.
We don't have any storage in the UK. That's what's completely fucked us

4 hours ago, GTee said:

No, but that isn't relevant - 43.7% of our electricity is generated from gas.

6 hours ago, GTee said:

When the wind doesn’t blow, no electricity.

You need a large baseload from nuclear, gas and others.