Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Last month I went a bit extreme on cutting down dishwasher and tumble dryer usage. 

Pots, pans and baking trays I did by hand. Everything got hung out where possible. I only used it maybe twice in all of August. I was a bit zealous in switching stuff off, and of course I am in the office more. I managed to cut almost 50 kWh off my electricity use last month, which I am pleased about.

I have bought extra clothes horse, more pegs, lines for outside and so on. Every dry day, I will hang washing out. The tumble dryer I am starting to see as a money pit. One hour of the tumble dryer uses between 4 and 5 kWh. Or, to put it another way, costs between £1.20 and £1.50 at my new electricity rate.  

What kind of tumble dryer uses 4-5kW of electricity per hour?  Would normally be about half that or less if you have a heat pump dryer.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Short term gain in exchange for a massive medium to long term loss as Europe moves away from dependency.

A medium to long term move away from dependency also gives Russia plenty of time to find alternative markets and distribution methods. It's not 1910 anymore and Europe is a diminishing fraction of global energy demand. Gazprom clearly agrees with your analysis though - which is why it's giving away record amounts of company money. 

So to recap our progress at six months here, the economic war put in place by the NATO bloc has:

1) Massively enriched energy companies and distributors everywhere.

2) Massively impoverished the populations of Europe and/or set their government's finances on fire again, just two years after the pandemic. An enormous - and permanent - transfer of European wealth abroad. 

3) Massively enriched the US as the new dependent supplier of European fuels. A key reason why Washington pushed hard for sanctions - everyone else would pay the price while its corporations made off with the loot. 

4) Has failed to secure either true energy independence for Europe (see above) or even hinder Russia's actual ability to wreak war through energy windfalls. 

A Jack Ross-esque sequence of results delivered by gormless European leaders. They should have stuck to the safer ground of Eurovision virtue-signalling rather than serious geopolitics. 

Edited by vikingTON

18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What kind of tumble dryer uses 4-5kW of electricity per hour?  Would normally be about half that or less if you have a heat pump dryer.

I just googled asking how much energy a tumble dryer uses and this is the answer. 

22 hours ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Anyway, I agree with Gordon EF on it not being common, it’s very few n far between but SP should be fixing that asap. Maybe that’s the standards between that company and the one I work for. 🥴

Wouldn't surprise me at all if SP were much worse for this kind of stuff than everyone else.

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Per cycle, not Per hour.

The most you can put down a 13A plug is 3000W approximately which would be 3kWh.

I was going to say that even 3kw would set your clothes on fire, but apparently not.

image.thumb.png.86a66febcb161cbebbf85a8a37394618.png

5 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Thank you sorting out the energy crisis Boris.

How come "money saving expert" Martin Lewis has never though of this genius idea?

Does said kettle (including transportation costs etc.) cost less than £10?

30 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Per cycle, not Per hour.

The most you can put down a 13A plug is 3000W approximately which would be 3kWh.

Fair enough. But for my drier a cycle takes about an hour so the maths is the same. Even 3kWh is a saving.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Lot of talk about dishwashers here, but when you Google it, you get tons of articles saying that using a dishwasher is more energy efficient than handwashing

A dishwasher will use, typically, 1.5 kWh per cycle. At 28p per unit, that's 42p, at 51p per unit its 76.5p

Running a 24kW combi boiler for 10 minutes to fill a sink would use 4kWh of gas. At 3p per unit it's a no brainer at 12p, at 7p it was 28p, from October it will be 64p.

There is definitely less of a difference under the new price cap.

A dishwasher will use, typically, 1.5 kWh per cycle. At 28p per unit, that's 42p, at 51p per unit its 76.5p
Running a 24kW combi boiler for 10 minutes to fill a sink would use 4kWh of gas. At 3p per unit it's a no brainer at 12p, at 7p it was 28p, from October it will be 64p.
Are you washing your dishes in a bath! Hot water tap is on for a minute at most when I'm filling the sink

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Are you washing your dishes in a bath! Hot water tap is on for a minute at most when I'm filling the sink

Aye good point 😂😂

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

How come "money saving expert" Martin Lewis has never though of this genius idea?

Ken what would save more energy?

Someone throwing that used wanksock off a cliff and save us ever turning on the b*****d tv to see his smug fat blond kuntish puss ever again.

Did I say I hated the b*****ding tories?

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Martin Lewis is on a jet pack, hovering 150 feet above a school of sharks, watching Boris sail into the stratosphere above him.