Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

Are new build houses going to fall below the average expected rate due to them being so well insulated? I have always been in new builds, my last house was a mid terraced and a bit smaller than current one but I never remember it ever feeling cold to the point of really needing to blast the heating on. And no I’m not trying to gloat here.

We're in an mid-terrace new-build and our energy use appears to be way below average.  We both work full time so we're out most the day but even in the coldest of winter days the heating only needs to be on for an hour and the house is very warm.  Not sure if having a brand new boiler/heating system also make a difference in terms of being more efficient.  

Ours also came with solar panels and I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not we actually have them registered/set-up to be seeing any benefit from them.  

We're in an mid-terrace new-build and our energy use appears to be way below average.  We both work full time so we're out most the day but even in the coldest of winter days the heating only needs to be on for an hour and the house is very warm.  Not sure if having a brand new boiler/heating system also make a difference in terms of being more efficient.  
Ours also came with solar panels and I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not we actually have them registered/set-up to be seeing any benefit from them.  
If they are operational, you will be seeing benefit from them whether they are registered or not. You don't need to be on an SEG tariff for them to work. They just do their thing. Just have a look at your meter. It should be still or going backwards when it's sunny. A smart meter obviously will show negative.

In saying that though a lot of new builds that were built with panels are for the hot water. Must be some paperwork lying about for them surely?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

If they are operational, you will be seeing benefit from them whether they are registered or not. You don't need to be on an SEG tariff for them to work. They just do their thing. Just have a look at your meter. It should be still or going backwards when it's sunny. A smart meter obviously will show negative.

In saying that though a lot of new builds that were built with panels are for the hot water. Must be some paperwork lying about for them surely?

You're probably right,  I'll try to dig out the paperwork and have a look.  Our electricity bill is certainly quite low, about thirty quid a month currently so I assume they are working already. 

9 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Yeah I think our old bill was £80 pcm but we were in positive I think at the end and got some money back. I suppose if you’re in a mid terraced you get the heat from each house next to you. We moved in to new place in April right at the start of first hike and still haven’t had bill yet from British Gas who are dicking us about so I’m really not sure what to expect.

A friend of mine bought a house around 27 years ago. Contacted British Gas to inform them that he was the new bill payer and was assured that, since the property had a prepayment meter (it doesn't), he would not be billed for consumption. I checked the legal position on this and it seems that, provided there is no fraud, the company could only back-bill for 2 years (subsequently reduced by Ofgem to one year). Just a pity that he hadn't been on a dual fuel arrangement with the useless fuckers.

1 hour ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

A friend of mine bought a house around 27 years ago. Contacted British Gas to inform them that he was the new bill payer and was assured that, since the property had a prepayment meter (it doesn't), he would not be billed for consumption. I checked the legal position on this and it seems that, provided there is no fraud, the company could only back-bill for 2 years (subsequently reduced by Ofgem to one year). Just a pity that he hadn't been on a dual fuel arrangement with the useless fuckers.

I'm pretty sure this is far more common than most folk realise. The last property I was in, the meter just didn't work. I switched from Scottish Power to Bulb. I told both companies that the meter wasn't working. Both said they'd just charge estimates then. I told them they could shove their estimates up their arse and that I wouldn't pay a penny of usage but they were welcome to come and replace the old meter if they wanted to. Both backed down and said I could just pay the standing charge. Neither came out to fix or replace the meter. So I was blasting out heat all winter and didn't pay a penny for it.

I've heard of multiple people in a similar situation.

The big problem is that the suppliers aren't really incentivised to fix that situation. If a meter doesn't record usage then the supplier doesn't pay for it and neither does the customer. It's just basically 'invisible' to the system. Doubly now that suppliers are probably losing money on every kWh that's used. They're prefectly happy to just let this go.

What a system.

Funny seeing them blame them Russian invasion of Ukraine 
January 2022
Food prices have also risen due to supply chain disruptions and increased HGV driver wages after thousands left the UK for their home countries in the EU.
Meanwhile, energy bills are expected to soar as the government’s price cap is revised in February and implemented in April.
The wholesale price of gas spiked at the end of 2021 because of high demand around the world. 
Experts predict the energy regulator Ofgem may raise the price cap by more than 50 per cent this year, taking the average annual bill to nearly £2,000.
Campaigners and MPs have called on the government to remove the 5 per cent VAT rate on power but even if this is done, many households will still be pushed into fuel poverty.
Public concerns were also laid bare in a new poll that revealed one third of Brits fear they will be unable to pay their energy bills this year. 
A YouGov survey published by The Times found 33 per cent of people expect their fuel bills to become unaffordable in 2022.
Boris Johnson has said he is “constantly” meeting with chancellor Rishi Sunak, hinting that the government is on the verge of taking action. 
He told journalists on Monday that he understood how “difficult it is” and they were “looking at what we can do”.
HuffPost UK also understands the chancellor will meet with Tory backbenchers over three evenings this week to hear their concerns. 

Don't know quite why you quoted me?

The penny dropping related to the ludicrous pegging of electricity to the price of gas.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

New building schemes are all built with suds systems as standard but i think there should be a new initiative when they all have renewable energy source that contributes to a certain % of the overall developments energy needs they all inhabitants can benefit from. It obviously won’t happen under this Tory government who completely obliterated the FiT scheme but it would be nice if they all had a small scale hydro scheme or a couple of windmills nearby.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm pretty sure this is far more common than most folk realise. The last property I was in, the meter just didn't work. I switched from Scottish Power to Bulb. I told both companies that the meter wasn't working. Both said they'd just charge estimates then. I told them they could shove their estimates up their arse and that I wouldn't pay a penny of usage but they were welcome to come and replace the old meter if they wanted to. Both backed down and said I could just pay the standing charge. Neither came out to fix or replace the meter. So I was blasting out heat all winter and didn't pay a penny for it.

The big problem is that the suppliers aren't really incentivised to fix that situation. If a meter doesn't record usage then the supplier doesn't pay for it and neither does the customer. It's just basically 'invisible' to the system. Doubly now that suppliers are probably losing money on every kWh that's used. They're prefectly happy to just let this go.

What a system.

I moved into a place last year and sorted out a supplier (Scottish Power). They said the place would be connected to them in a few weeks.  Turns out they never connected and was still running on SSE. Twigged when letters addressed to the occupier were coming through the door chasing this address up for paying the bill. Never connected to Scottish Power after all and SSE set up an account for me!

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

What a system.

People like you are why we are all paying through the nose now. 

(Joking, by the way)

44 minutes ago, throbber said:

Who will we be applauding at our front doors once a week? That phase was weird AF

If you bang a pot hard enough you can create enough kinetic energy to power a house for two weeks 

Spoiler

Standard Grade Physics - 3. 1997

8 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

If you bang a pot hard enough you can create enough kinetic energy to power a house for two weeks 

Hide contents

Standard Grade Physics - 3. 1997

I was going to post something similar about introducing human sized community “hamster wheels” where the kinetic energy that comes from their rotation can contribute towards local energy consumption. Something that parents can force their kids on to and overweight adults can use to get in shape whilst also giving back to their communities.

I was going to post something similar about introducing human sized community “hamster wheels” where the kinetic energy that comes from their rotation can contribute towards local energy consumption. Something that parents can force their kids on to and overweight adults can use to get in shape whilst also giving back to their communities.
Theres a black mirror episode like this.

We are living in black mirror. It's only a matter of time.

33 minutes ago, throbber said:

I had an idea about battery storage hooked up to exercise equipment at home. Then I remembered the last time I used an exercise bike, when according to the calorie counter I'd pretty much need to do the Tour de France to boil the kettle.

18 hours ago, helicopter said:

I'm a private landlord and my tenants are already starting to annoy me over this.

You should just evict them. Sounds like a winner for both parties as you save the hassle and they don't have to worry about dealing with your attitude?

Edited by bdu98196

Liz Truss's strategy been leaked?

That's Scottish Power with a text about hie they are concerned for customers and are recommending I get booked in for a Smart Meter. Good on them. Hopefully a Smart Meter will help me keep on top of my usage during these upcoming tough winter months.

26a027d02458546559f566d9541908db.jpg