Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm not sure to be honest whether it's dealt with centrally or by the schools but as you say either way it doesn't really matter.

I can see councils shutting what they perceive to be 'luxury' buildings like swimming pools and sports centres.

Yep.  It's happening already.  Get active @ Beach Leisure Centre pool in Aberdeen to temporarily close over soaring energy prices | STV News

I don't know if Liz Truss just isn't saying too much just now in case that causes her not to win the leadership battle, but surely she can't believe knocking a few hundred quid off people's taxes will help offset the extra few thousand they will be paying in energy?

Inflation alone would swallow up almost every penny as well.

If their overriding view is that a blanket freeze on the price cap is not the most effective way to get help where it is most needed (and let's take that at face value for now as there is some merit in that point), then tax cuts are the complete opposite - they will get the most help to those who need it least!

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know if Liz Truss just isn't saying too much just now in case that causes her not to win the leadership battle, but surely she can't believe knocking a few hundred quid off people's taxes will help offset the extra few thousand they will be paying in energy?

Inflation alone would swallow up almost every penny as well.

Truss doesn't need to say or do stuff to be popular with voters. She has to say or do stuff to be popular with Tories. Who are, without exception, a shower of I'm-alright-jack selfish c**ts.

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I may be wrong, but read that schools are in charge of their own budgets delivered form councils which also includes their utility costs along with various other commitments, therefore each school will need to look at its own measures to counter. Its also a requirement that a minimum ~32 hours (or near that) education a week must be provided, which is why 4 days was being considered by some - increase the length of each day a few hours and then save heating for a full day - whether this is feasible or acceptable would be a point of contention for parents regarding childcare, transport etc.

It's not just parents it has to be feasible for. Many teachers are parents as well and have our own arrangements for childcare and transport that can't be changed easily. It's not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Truss doesn't need to say or do stuff to be popular with voters. She has to say or do stuff to be popular with Tories. Who are, without exception, a shower of I'm-alright-jack selfish c**ts.

True, but I do wonder if until she becomes PM, and Kwarteng becomes chancellor, the full details of the energy company led cap freeze plan can't be agreed on and announced.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

True, but I do wonder if until she becomes PM, and Kwarteng becomes chancellor, the full details of the energy company led cap freeze plan can't be agreed on and announced.

This has shades of Jed Bartlet's secret plan to fight inflation.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think that’s right.

Can we not just wait a little until the big announcements are made?

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

This has shades of Jed Bartlet's secret plan to fight inflation.

I don't know what that means, tbh, sorry.

My point was that not freezing it will have dire consequences for households and the economy, they must know that, but rushing the announcement out and then not being able to deliver it would also be rash.

It may well be that details such as what level the cap will be frozen at, what extra support might be needed if it is to be above £1,971, and what can be done to assist SMEs still need to be worked out.

It wouldn't be right IMO for a party leadership candidate to be making such promises without first consulting the chancellor and meeting the energy leaders as PM.

20 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I may be wrong, but read that schools are in charge of their own budgets delivered form councils which also includes their utility costs along with various other commitments, therefore each school will need to look at its own measures to counter. Its also a requirement that a minimum ~32 hours (or near that) education a week must be provided, which is why 4 days was being considered by some - increase the length of each day a few hours and then save heating for a full day - whether this is feasible or acceptable would be a point of contention for parents regarding childcare, transport etc.

Should also point out that the minimum is 25 hours for primary and 27 hours for secondary.

Hard not to have say when ye work in the industry.
I dont have much to say other than the jobs fucked.

I would suggest that the £100billion bailout proposed by SP CEO seems to be on the table - all energy bosses, and parliament arsebandits have seen it as the only way forward. Many companies are removing their fixed price tariffs as it just isn't morally correct or simply not sustainable for the 'ordinary' person.

If i had any advice (which of course i would never give out.......) is to stay on the SVT and just hope/gamble that this plan to lockdown prices in the very near future is passed. 

Got electric central heating here ad not able to get gas. My Jan 2022 usage would result in a bill of £780 for the month under the new price cap. Give monthly readings so know the usage is accurate too. 

We were both working from home and it was on all day a good few days but thats still eye watering.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes but it's a failure of leadership that an announcement has not already been made. If we wait another few weeks there won't be time to implement anything before the winter increase hits.

The crisis is upon us right now and has been known about for some time.

The Tories engaging in a 7 week orgy of self-indulgence over their new leader in the midst of this is worthy of criticism.

As is a PM who seems to have been on endless holidays since pleading to stay until September.

Make no mistake. This will almost certainly finish the Tories as a political force unless one of these idiots comes up with something special in a couple of weeks time.

Absolutely right - businesses and families are thinking beyond the Truss coronation. Many businesses are closing now because they know they cannot afford to stay open as things stand. Some kind of announcement form the government to ally these fears might make people think differently. But no, BoJo is happy to leave someone else to clean up the mess.

Strangely, had he not been ousted, and was in his normal populist PM mode, I'm pretty sure he would have pushed a big red button by now and taken some drastic action. The guy was utterly averse to negative headlines. But he's demob happy and someone else can take all the flak.

Whatever the Tories offer will be compared to Labour's offer - and that is pretty unfavourable for them, unless they match it which neither candidate seems to want to do.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes but it's a failure of leadership that an announcement has not already been made

I agree, but LT is not yet the leader, and it would be wholly wrong for her to make statements as though she was.

You covered the reasons why their is a lack of leadership in the remainder of your post. None of them are Liz Truss' fault. The big finger should be pointed at BJ, but the second biggest should be pointed at Sunak for continuing in a race he has no chance of winning.

The immediate talk about the next cap makes me think this increase is going through and the debate going forward will be what to do about the 6 grand cap next year.

Macron told the truth the other day when he said that we entering a new era of consumption in the West and ordinary people are going to be forced into a far lower standard of living. 

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes but it's a failure of leadership that an announcement has not already been made. If we wait another few weeks there won't be time to implement anything before the winter increase hits.

The crisis is upon us right now and has been known about for some time.

The Tories engaging in a 7 week orgy of self-indulgence over their new leader in the midst of this is worthy of criticism.

As is a PM who seems to have been on endless holidays since pleading to stay until September.

Make no mistake. This will almost certainly finish the Tories as a political force unless one of these idiots comes up with something special in a couple of weeks time.

Yes, that’s true.

We are quite rudderless just now.

Surely they could have abbreviated the leadership election campaign so that a new PM and team was in place by now.

I really have to agree with your comments.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Whatever the Tories offer will be compared to Labour's offer - and that is pretty unfavourable for them, unless they match it which neither candidate seems to want to do.

Labour's plan is wholly inadequate - it is a six month sticking plaster that would fall off just as the enormous cap due in April would hit.

The Tories will ultimately need to look at a 24 month solution, which would instantly trump anything Labour offered.

By having such a short timeframe plan, Labour have, ultimately, shot themselves in the foot.

On a more practical note, the wife and I have been discussing things to do to reduce energy usage such as limiting the use of the dishwasher and washing machine, making better use of the central heating, etc,

Would appreciate getting some tips on how best to maximise the most efficient use of the various appliances which most of us have.

I think I’ve changed all my bulbs to LED which seems sensible.

I have a smart meter which shows my weekly cost at the moment (summer) to be around £25.

Whatever happens, it’s going to cost more and being sensible and practical seems the best way forward.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Would appreciate getting some tips on how best to maximise the most efficient use of the various appliances which most of us have.

Instead of watching Netflix, spend your evenings playing ludo by candlelight.