Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

21 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

80% rise. Folk will be sitting in freezing houses this winter. An utter disgrace, millions of folk can't pay this.

Energy bills tripled in a year, thats before food rises.

I rather suspect that, if the UK government dont do something on a structural level, we are looking at a winter of strikes and civil disobedience.

What we will probably see is mass marches on Westminster, stopped 300 yards from the HoC by the Met Police using their recently allocated powers - violence and riots will follow which the Tories will blame on "lefties".

f**k the tories and all who vote for them.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

80% rise. Folk will be sitting in freezing houses this winter. An utter disgrace, millions of folk can't pay this.

44 minutes ago, mizfit said:

We’re fucked and that Midget and that Thatcher clone are more interested in playing Mini trump. f**k the tories, f**k the government, f**k ofgem and f**k the people who privatised our fucking energy. 

The cap was always going to rise today. It's what gets done between now and the 1st of October that actually matters.

That said, this bit (from https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11147209/Liz-Truss-vows-emergency-budget-provide-support-families-Prime-Minister.html 😞

"Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, who is tipped to be her chancellor, has held talks with energy bosses about a £100billion plan to freeze bills for two years. But insiders played down the prospect of it being approved."

Makes me think it's going to be inadequate.

But, as scottsdad said below, if they do reject the Energy Sector's proposal (which I think is better than Labour's) then they will be finished in power for a long time, which makes me think that really nobody knows the details of what she will do.

Edited by Todd_is_God

This, more than anything else, is what will bring down the Tories at the next election. If they don't match Labour's offer to freeze the cap (regardless of how practical that offer actually is), then they will always lose on this issue.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

I'm just seriously glad Boris refused to stand down immediately after he was punted so they he could provide continuity during this crisis.

The unit rate was always going to rise but what are those fuckwitts at Ofgem doing raising the standing charge.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm just seriously glad Boris refused to stand down immediately after he was punted so they he could provide continuity during this crisis.

The unit rate was always going to rise but what are those fuckwitts at Ofgem doing raising the standing charge.

I think there are certain components that Ofgem dont have much "control" over.

FWIW, the Head of Ofgem this morning has in effect asked for the govt to intervene (because their hands are basically tied by the market).

Remember the Still Game episode where they stole leckie, and more specifically when Winston gave his speech on how the Government love to hear in the morning of how many old folk have died during the night? Who'd have thought that this would actually become a reality. Tory c***s will be revelling in it. Fucking scumbags.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

The standing charge went up a lot more in April.  I remember being pissed off because I don't use much energy (stay in a relatively modern flat, on my own, don't feel the cold that badly, ticht as a duck's fud) and the SC is a big chunk of my bill.  

Edited by resk

1 minute ago, resk said:

The standing charge went up a lot more in April.  I remember being pissed off because I don't use much energy (two bedroom relatively modern flat, live on my own, don't feel the cold that badly, ticht as a duck's fud) and the SC is a big chunk of my bill.  

Aye that’s been my difference was standing order. We’re in a 1 bed and we’re out all day and only in at night. Absolutely mental seeing what it increased by in a month.

Just now, resk said:

The standing charge went up a lot more in April.  I remember being pissed off because I don't use much energy (two bedroom relatively modern flat, live on my own, don't feel the cold that badly) and the SC is a big chunk of my bill.  

Yeh that was specifically to pay for the companies failing and the cost of the admin of moving folk suppliers. Since then the remaining companies have been coining it in.

As per, company failure = tax payer coughs up.

But now they are watching their profits go up like a rocket we have been ditched.

Just now, 101 said:

Yeh that was specifically to pay for the companies failing and the cost of the admin of moving folk suppliers. Since then the remaining companies have been coining it in.

But now they are watching their profits go up like a rocket we have been ditched.

Think we have to differentiate between the supplier and the producer - the former (Octopus energy etc) are, in many cases, struggling as the latter are the ones telling them the cost is up by X% and making the fucking huge profits (BP, Shell, et al).

Obviously, the ultimate end schmuck customer pays the piper etc.

7 minutes ago, resk said:

The standing charge went up a lot more in April.  I remember being pissed off because I don't use much energy (stay in a relatively modern flat, on my own, don't feel the cold that badly, ticht as a duck's fud) and the SC is a big chunk of my bill.  

It's set to pretty much double again in April too I think

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Suppliers are not coining it in at all, most of them are making losses. That's why the cap is going up and there is no switching market at all right now.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Think we have to differentiate between the supplier and the producer - the former (Octopus energy etc) are, in many cases, struggling as the latter are the ones telling them the cost is up by X% and making the fucking huge profits (BP, Shell, et al).

Obviously, the ultimate end schmuck customer pays the piper etc.

And in the case where a company both supplies and produces they can double dip in the profits, British gas committing to 10% redistribution of profits from their consumer arm really was treating us like we are stupid wankers whilst they get unbelievably wealthy.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Suppliers are not coining it in at all, most of them are making losses. That's why the cap is going up and there is no switching market at all right now.

Can't say I'm particularly upset at their demise, they had a race to the bottom in terms of pricing meaning the slightest move on the market price between price caps sent them spiraling. Now there are far fewer companies left that only have a supplier operation and ones that are left have benefited from major swells in customer bases with no expenditure in landing Thier business due to Ofgem just rolling folk into other suppliers.

I note the April forecast is now above £7k with a kWh of electricity forecast to be 110p.

It's not a winter fuel crisis that needs addressing - it's a 24 month plus long crisis.

Targetted payments, Tax cuts, VAT reductions (i know it's also a tax), removing Green levvies etc won't touch the sides here.

Biggest problem with this is the inequity of it all.

Yes, we are all going to pay a lot more for energy, but for those with Pensions and Investments, many of them will have things like BP / Shell etc shareholdings and will gain out of this. Those with bigger investments will make the most !

The poor, the people in the gig economy etc in effect pay for these gains, as well as living in cold houses without enough food to feed their kids.

I genuinely see civil unrest on the horizon and cant really criticise anyone who participates........................