Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Not much choice really with no central heating.

Home Energy Scotland are dishing out cash in the form of interest-free loans with cashback, so it's always worth giving them a call to see what options there are for you. They may be able to mostly fund solar panels (up to £5k IIRC) to heat the water tank for example, or there's cashback of up to £7500 towards an air-source heat pump if suitable.

You have to own for 12 months first, I'll qualify for grants as I get tax credits but may use the loan so I can chose who does the central heating.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you mean the plug in electric heaters? If so, you'll be paying absolutely ludicrous sums for your bills (even more so than what is coming I mean).

Yup but it's only choice this winter but it's one winter then I can access funding.

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

Yup but it's only choice this winter but it's one winter then I can access funding.

Can only imagine the costs! I've had to use just one, and only once or twice a week, and it drained the power so quickly and cost me a significant sum in comparison to months when I didn't use it.

Shite situation to be in.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Can only imagine the costs! I've had to use just one, and only once or twice a week, and it drained the power so quickly and cost me a significant sum in comparison to months when I didn't use it.

Shite situation to be in.

I knew when I bought it. Kids go to dad's three days so can ration it's use.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Our bill. We don't pay by direct debit.

Snap.  I pay after I get/give a meter reading and have done for more than a decade but still get spammed by texts and emails about installing a smart meter/paying by DD.

My one worry about moving to my new place in October is that I will be trapped into both.

51 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Snap.  I pay after I get/give a meter reading and have done for more than a decade but still get spammed by texts and emails about installing a smart meter/paying by DD.

My one worry about moving to my new place in October is that I will be trapped into both.

You could set up a variable direct debit that collects your payment when due (after you give read) it could give you a small discount. 
however understand you have always paid a parity up at way. 
just a thought 

I don't understand the fear of smart meters tbh.

I also don't understand the resistance to DD either.

"I prefer to just pay each month what I used" absolutely makes sense in context over the previous decade, but I fear those who believe the energy companies are out to get them with large direct debits at the moment are in full blown denial mode about what is coming and will suddenly regret that stance when January's bill lands in their inbox.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't understand the fear of smart meters tbh

I'd quite like one to be honest. With Bulb though and they weren't in a rush to install them , even pre admin/collapse.

It strikes me as a good thing that you can work out yourself whats costing loads and whats barely making a difference to the bill.

14 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

It strikes me as a good thing that you can work out yourself whats costing loads and whats barely making a difference to the bill.

You can do that with a normal meter too though. Switch an item on and see if the thing whirrs like the clappers or not, do the same thing with another item and so on.

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't understand the fear of smart meters tbh.

I also don't understand the resistance to DD either.

"I prefer to just pay each month what I used" absolutely makes sense in context over the previous decade, but I fear those who believe the energy companies are out to get them with large direct debits at the moment are in full blown denial mode about what is coming and will suddenly regret that stance when January's bill lands in their inbox.

The issue with direct debit is that the companies seem to set it to an amount that will build you up a credit with them, now thats all well and good if that credit is used up over winter months etc, but if its not or you move company or they go tits up, getting your money back is an absolute pain in the arse off them (some companies iirc wont give you all your credit back, stating they require a months dd left as credit, which is absurd) 

Why should these robbing b*****ds keep your money when you could have it

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

The issue with direct debit is that the companies seem to set it to an amount that will build you up a credit with them, now thats all well and good if that credit is used up over winter months etc, but if its not or you move company or they go tits up, getting your money back is an absolute pain in the arse off them (some companies iirc wont give you all your credit back, stating they require a months dd left as credit, which is absurd) 

The bold part is theft mate so that isn’t a thing. 
if you don’t claim it it goes into something called an appropriate Credit. 

DD - either monthly or variable are a helpful way of paying, for some of course - our company is about 82% of people Pt that way. 

To Todd’s point - peoples objections to smart meters are usually second hand reasoning. 
As long as they are set up correctly, connected and commissioned correctly , then they are a fantastic addition to any household and will help bring down energy usage - particularly if you get the most up to date , free, in home display. 

10 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

But you have control over your DD - If you know your usage and calculate you are going to be left with a credit then reduce it.

The scenario atm, though, is different. There will be plenty people out there (rightly) horrified at a monthly DD of £350, but this isn't the energy company trying to build up a credit from you - it's just the stark reality of what is required (on the current estimates anyway) to pay for their energy over the next 15 months.

If you bury your head in the sand and still think it's them out to get you, and so continue to just pay on the fly for what you use each month, then that £800 bill for January is going to hit you like an absolute train.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Is that not a bit of a result (given how costs are predicted to go up)?

This is the 2nd increase. Our last bill (in June) was up by 30%+. It means our next bill (in September) will be 65% dearer than our March one (assuming similar usage).

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

So I'm a bit confused. Has your usage gone up or has your unit price been increased outside of the new cap announcement?

Unit price has been increased.

Edited by Jacksgranda