Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

C4 saying that average EU energy price rise is 44%, we're at 215%. Germany's 20%, France is 4%.

But we mustn't interfere with the markets, where would it ever end?

Not comparable figures.

EDF (nationalised) is suing the French government for around £8bn relating to losses they’ve incurred in selling at below market price. Inevitably this will be picked up by the French government who will then need to claw it back from taxpayers.

We are subsidising the poorest but I would think more direct action will be coming once the new PM is installed.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They're waiting on you starting it. 

That’s the problem in Britain - we’re all up for complaining on social media but leave it to someone else to actually be proactive. 

There is little point worrying about how much prices are up in other countries, because we're not all paying the same for it. And at any rate, what works in Germany/France might not work here either. 

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/energy-crisis-countries-cheapest-gas-and-electric-3674055

Britain's electricity was towards the higher end of the spectrum in the European context, with gas amongst the cheapest. I am sure an up to date version of this table will have some pretty wild fluctuations (e.g. the Netherlands now has the most expensive gas in Europe). 

The key thing is that the measures taken are sufficient in order to properly mitigate the impact of the bills. Whether that be financial support or limiting the price rises. It is more than clear that that it is not. 

Meanwhile: 

Some people have described the increase of £677 on average each year for households as a "disgrace".

It follows a 58% rise in April, which the company said was due to disruption in the wholesale supply of gas caused by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-62438384

It's not something likely to go away any time soon. Several EU Member States are having to reduce gas usage to prevent running out in winter and the UK has planned for blackouts also. What is missing from the blame is 'western sanctions on Russia', which led to a predictable response. Whether you agree with that or not or question whether it's fair, tit-for-tat is how sanctions work in practice. The west can't just wean itself off Russian gas overnight, but it really needs to start finding alternatives even on a temporary basis. Sorry your bills are astronomical, Russia innit? just isn't acceptable. Support is needed now and solutions need to.be found - they won't be instant but the situation is an emergency. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not comparable figures.

EDF (nationalised) is suing the French government for around £8bn relating to losses they’ve incurred in selling at below market price. Inevitably this will be picked up by the French government who will then need to claw it back from taxpayers.

We are subsidising the poorest but I would think more direct action will be coming once the new PM is installed.

We get 50% of our gas from the North Sea which costs no more to supply now than it did last year. Equally, the wind generated electricity from the North Sea has its price linked to the global market price of gas, despite costing no more to produce. We're making a deliberate choice to cripple our economy and living standards as a sacrifice to the gods of free market capitalism, a market which is being deliberated skewed and manipulated by Vladimir Putin. Russia cut down gas supplies to Europe for months before invading Ukraine, forcing Europe to run down their reserves. The UK weren't affected by this of course, since we've had no reserves since 2017 when the Tories decided we didn't need them and the infrastructure was dismantled.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We get 50% of our gas from the North Sea which costs no more to supply now than it did last year. Equally, the wind generated electricity from the North Sea has its price linked to the global market price of gas, despite costing no more to produce. We're making a deliberate choice to cripple our economy and living standards as a sacrifice to the gods of free market capitalism, a market which is being deliberated skewed and manipulated by Vladimir Putin.

In response to sanctions placed on Russia by NATO countries as they waded into a conflict they didn't actually need to...

Western leaders are directly responsible for the increase in the wholesale cost of gas and, as such, are directly responsible if no action is taken to mitigate this increase in their own countries.

The first point you make, however, about North Sea gas being no more costly to produce than last year, is mooted by the fact those producing it are under no compulsion to sell it at cost + nominal profit or indeed even within the UK. As a result UK based energy suppliers need to purchase it at European market rates or it would simply be sold to a higher bidder.

The UK is more than capable of being self sufficient in energy production, however privatisation, the stigmatisation of coal and fracking to appease the green lobby, and the reluctance to extend the use of nuclear power has left us completely exposed to external factors.

7 hours ago, sonsism said:

£100 for electricity and £100 for gas

Please double check T&Cs as some will have that it only applies if you leave supply. 

Tariff to tariff and moving home are ways of avoiding the fees. Not every company does it but worth a look

42 minutes ago, GTee said:

Can someone explain in simple language what has changed that my energy bill has doubled in two years. Cheers. 

Screenshot_2022-08-12-00-18-18-373_com.android.chrome.jpg

Just because that energy is created in Scotland we don’t own it.  It’s sold off by the Scottish Government in the same way oil and gas was sold off by UK gov.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/17/scottish-government-windfarm-auction-scottish-power-shell-bp-sse

private companies create the energy and sell it on the open market.  Wind energy is pegged to the price of gas.  Russia has fucked with the price of gas.

Prior to this two other things affected energy costs.  It was the least windy year in donkeys which screwed wind power and wholesale electricity prices.  You also had the world emerging from a pandemic which meant demand for power went up therefore affecting prices.

It’s far more nuanced than the above but in simple terms those are the main reasons.

13 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Or anyone who voted for Brexit can foot any extra rises, why should we have to pay extra due to a bunch of gammon racists.

Now now, these gammony racists have been front and centre when it comes to filling the fruit-picking farm jobs that eastern europeans used to do in their tens of thousands. 

Oops, no they haven't. They've instead demanded these be filled by people on UC, schoolkids, literally anyone bar themselves, the selfish c***s. 

What I found bizarre is my "in credit" on our energy bill is now the exact same as the extra costs so every month our exact amount extra appears to be the amount the price has risen.Summer time and we are using less heating or none at the moment but I just found that weird.Decided to just let it top up the in credit so will hopefully cushion the blow come winter time

Does anyone know what the actual figures are per kwh and per day for the cap come October?

Googling only gave me the figures up until October. Check if the energy price cap affects you | Ofgem

Gas is 27p per day and 7p per kwh, electricity is 45p per day and 28p per kwh. My fixed rate ends at the end of next month so I'm preparing for the worst come October.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Does anyone know what the actual figures are per kwh and per day for the cap come October?

Googling only gave me the figures up until October. Check if the energy price cap affects you | Ofgem

Gas is 27p per day and 7p per kwh, electricity is 45p per day and 28p per kwh. My fixed rate ends at the end of next month so I'm preparing for the worst come October.

Auxilione Price Cap Daily 20220810.pdf

32 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Thanks, I think.

That's just made me even more worried. 

ETA: What's the going rate for selling a kidney?

You should be, as it's updated daily and has climbed 3% again to a peak of £5,200 in April.

Personally, I can't see any solution short of a cap ceiling that is going to do anything to help.

They can then implement windfall taxes on those making the nonsensically large profits to safeguard suppliers.

I will be very surprised tbh if nothing at all is done in September.

Edited by Todd_is_God