Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

It's still costing you £150 per month during the summer which is quite a lot. Presumably they have you on an average amount over the whole year to keep your monthly bill consistent-ish over the year?

I think it's more likely to be that you think you're curbing your usage....until you get your first bill in, and then you realise hmmm...probably didn't need to leave the laptop plugged in even when it's on a full charge. 🤣

There is a fair amount of accountability needed from people in terms of useage and accepting that there are energy "extravagances" that can be cut back on, but that doesn't take away from the fact that clarity, simplicity and transparency from the energy companies would be a major help across the board for everyone.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I was with an energy provider that went bust a couple of years ago (Our Power, before all the current shit show) and got switched to Utilita.  I'd had a bad experience with them previously so immediately started the process of switching away.  It took well over 6 months for them to actually sort out a final bill for me between Our Powers systems and Utilita's system so I could get away from them again.  Submitting regular readings still doesn't guarantee your bills are accurate I'm afraid.

Again just to clarify, turns out the bill is 100% correct and I have no issues with the amount (aside from the obvious) or useage. As above, the only thing that's now still annoying me is them just sending an email with an amout owed, no other information and no bill attached, to someone on quarterly billing who then has to log in to their website that barely works, to drill down into the figures on the bill itself to find out it's not actually a quarterly bill at all.

Either bill me quarterly, or don't tell me I'm on quarterly billing. Im fine with either. I'm lucky enough and massively grateful to be in a position where there's no panic, but there are countless hard working people for whom the difference between that bill being the quarterly cost and the (in reality)  over 4-monthly cost, would have huge and potentially tragic consequences.

As much clarity as possible is needed here across the board. If their claim is that they can't do anything about the price, then there are many more ways to help people other than price. Focus on those.

Edited by Al B

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Meanwhile, here are energy companies demanding the government steps in. 

How about lower your price by £500, rather than than demand the taxpayer props up your profits? Corporate welfare seeking and nothing else

Screenshot_20220810-102559_Chrome.jpg

I wouldn't be so hasty to jump to that conclusion.  The providers are beholden to the wholesale market.  If they're making £500 profit per customer then the price cap is a sham and should be lowered so I would agree with you.  I've not seen any evidence that the providers are massively at fault here.  The wholesale market is the big problem (and I'm aware some providers are also wholesale suppliers hence my question about e-on previously)

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Read this morning that e-on has reported half year profits of £3.5bn.  Are they a generator as well as a supplier or just a supplier?  If a company is making that amount of profit just from supply that's truly obscene and makes a mockery of the price cap.

That’s who I’m with

They have possibly one of the worst apps I’ve encountered. 

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I wouldn't be so hasty to jump to that conclusion.  The providers are beholden to the wholesale market.  If they're making £500 profit per customer then the price cap is a sham and should be lowered so I would agree with you.  I've not seen any evidence that the providers are massively at fault here.  The wholesale market is the big problem (and I'm aware some providers are also wholesale suppliers hence my question about e-on previously)

I appreciate there are intricacies involved, but if you're boasting record profits, the last thing you should be demanding is that the government pays you £500 per customer in support because the price is unaffordable. I know technically that the support measures are for people and the energy supplier, but they get the money anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I appreciate there are intricacies involved, but if you're boasting record profits, the last thing you should be demanding is that the government pays you £500 per customer in support because the price is unaffordable. I know technically that the support measures are for people and the energy supplier, but they get the money anyway. 

Don't think Octopus are boasting record profits and I'm not aware of them being in the wholesale gas supply market which is where the record profits are being booked.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/uks-octopus-energy-seizes-bigger-slice-energy-retail-market-2022-01-29/

There's plenty of evidence that most energy suppliers are barely competent enough to record readings and produce a bill without completely shitting the bed. Are they really the people we want to take advice on for solving the energy crisis?

The Lib Dems were on Newsnight arguing for a freeze on bills at the current energy gap price, to be paid for by the taxpayer. Probably the only time in 20 years they haven't sounded completely contemptible. 

While I think a freeze might be the most straightforward measure for this winter, I think you'd have to set it a fair bit higher than the present cap. Would £2800 for example really be an excessive price for average bills? This would also still incentivise households to make efficiency savings. 

The money saved by setting a higher cap needs to go elsewhere:

1) On permanently increasing the Universal Credit/benefits payments and eligibility scale (or scrap UC altogether, but that's another topic), and

2) To provide an equivalent energy cap on small-medium sized businesses. Amazon can absorb a 500% increase in powering their warehouses - most businesses in the community cannot and will be sunk if the focus is solely on household bills. 

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

You have to separate the suppliers out from the generators. The rise in costs is making record profits on the generation side, but in terms of supply most companies are making losses. 

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Very misleading headline.  The bills won’t increase.  The direct debit might.  Of course punters only care about how much leaves their bank account each month so it will be perceived as a bill increase but it’s shite journalism designed to further scare people.

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

Read this morning that e-on has reported half year profits of £3.5bn.  Are they a generator as well as a supplier or just a supplier?  If a company is making that amount of profit just from supply that's truly obscene and makes a mockery of the price cap.

They have their E.ON Ruhrgas upstream sector, which has North Sea assets.

Our business contract ran out in March and some moron forgot to renew it. Haven’t really noticed a huge difference in the final monthly price due to having solar panels and the heat. However the unit price has gone from 19p for day unit and 12p for night unit to 51p for day and 42p for night (plus an additional £5.75 a day standing charge). This is the variable rate so took it upon myself to try and arrange a new contract.

Got couple of deals which seemed not bad although will have to take a three year deal to keep a rate similar to the current variable one. The contract standing charge seem to be about 85p a day. However, my current supplier offered a contract with rates at about 68p per unit and a standing charge of £15 a day. They tried to say that was standard ofgem charge.

Absolute profiteering c***s. We have been pretty lucky with the weather and solar panels but can see how why some businesses won’t last very long at those rates