Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

14 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m on a fixed rate gas and electric plan from Sep 21 to Sep 23. The increase by that point from what I currently pay is going to be absolutely wild stuff.

Perhaps not.

From October it's suggested that it cant get any higher than it is, peak price and can only come down. However if it sticks at that then your turnover in price will be, as you say, wild.
Coming from lower price than original market cap to 100%+ above it is going to be tough.
Perhaps start the increase of your payments (if you pay by DD) maybe by £20 per fuel if you can afford it and start to put the account in credit for future. Apologies if not sustainable or you already do this.

Lots of factors of course. People dont like hearing it but theres so many little things that make up wholesale market cost. Can expand if anyones interested lol.

I keep seeing this group telling people to stop paying their Direct debits - please dont do this.
Just have it in place - dont stop paying it, even if you need to reduce it then do so but leave the payment plan in place - stop any potential collections actions starting and effect on the credit file.
an active payment plan is better than no payment plan.

2 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Perhaps not.

From October it's suggested that it cant get any higher than it is, peak price and can only come down. However if it sticks at that then your turnover in price will be, as you say, wild.
Coming from lower price than original market cap to 100%+ above it is going to be tough.
Perhaps start the increase of your payments (if you pay by DD) maybe by £20 per fuel if you can afford it and start to put the account in credit for future. Apologies if not sustainable or you already do this.

Lots of factors of course. People dont like hearing it but theres so many little things that make up wholesale market cost. Can expand if anyones interested lol.

I keep seeing this group telling people to stop paying their Direct debits - please dont do this.
Just have it in place - dont stop paying it, even if you need to reduce it then do so but leave the payment plan in place - stop any potential collections actions starting and effect on the credit file.

Hmmm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171

8 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Perhaps not.

I’d rather just save the extra £40 a month or whatever and then use it when required. Rather it be in my bank making interest for me than in the energy company’s, and likely I’ll switch provider at the end of the fixed rate anyway.

I'll try to find the article i was reading yesterday (internal of course) that SUGGESTED my statement above. 
So volatile it could return to normal in a month. Don't take everything at face value, however Cornwall Insight are really good with their input and, ironically, their insight.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’d rather just save the extra £40 a month or whatever and then use it when required. Rather it be in my bank making interest for me than in the energy company’s, and likely I’ll switch provider at the end of the fixed rate anyway.

Dependant if any company will take you on of course. However by that time the switching market would hopefully be fully opened by then allowing for free trade between companies.

I come out fixed month before actually so fingers crossed

2 minutes ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Dependant if any company will take you on of course. However by that time the switching market would hopefully be fully opened by then allowing for free trade between companies.

I come out fixed month before actually so fingers crossed

I haven’t seen anything at all that would suggest that other companies would not be taking on new customers? On what basis is that statement coming from?

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I haven’t seen anything at all that would suggest that other companies would not be taking on new customers? On what basis is that statement coming from?

On the basis that if you try to sign up online with other companies the majority if not all are turning you away. Same for telephone.
Comparethemarket right now.....

image.thumb.png.2fb6a770c725d2d721091e8bde39020e.png

I currently pay £230 a month on a deal until October 23. Was considering upping this to £280 a month and seeing how I get on. I have two log burners in my house which will be getting lots of action over the winter!

Just a great time for me to be trying to get a Gas/elec contract just now.  No websites actually allowing you to get a quote as it's cheaper to stay with your current provider.

I've been at my in-laws for 9 months and now have a new home.  I take it all I can do is phone around?  Anybody else had a similar situation where they could sort it online?

6 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Just a great time for me to be trying to get a Gas/elec contract just now.  No websites actually allowing you to get a quote as it's cheaper to stay with your current provider.

I've been at my in-laws for 9 months and now have a new home.  I take it all I can do is phone around?  Anybody else had a similar situation where they could sort it online?

Mentioned a little earlier about not being able to switch, specially to something cheaper than what you are probably already on. Sorry if you have missed it.

The new home will have an incumbent supplier - id suggest staying with them on the SVT for the moment (dependant on what fixed price they may have for 'returning' households. You would have to do the maths on it.

Changing to another supplier will put you on their highest plan - to recover the cost of them taking your supply on.

1 hour ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Perhaps not.

Comms 30 min ago about the post earlier form Cornwall Insight. Some F**king laugh

1 hour ago, HEY_SIDNEY said:

Perhaps not.

The problem a lot of people will have with this is it will be jacked up to an unaffordable level and there's pretty much sod all you can do about it with some companies.  As long as they give you enough notice they can change the amount.  I'm lucky with my provider that I can go into my online account and set the amount to be whatever I deem is appropriate.  A lot of people can't do that so to stop their energy company taking £300/£400 out their bank every month there only option is to cancel the DD.  Even leaving aside providers taking the piss and using customers as a credit card what would be a "fair" direct debit if the typical bill gets to £4k per annum is simply out of reach for some people.

Moved to Lanzarote in January.  We are paying the equivalent of about £100 each month for electricity for a three bedroom property.  We do a reasonable of indoor cooking, have the pool filter running six hours a day and the air con on every evening and all night.  Mrs Granny also seems to have the washing machine on constantly.

There have been no price increases or notification of price increases.

Numbers being quoted for winter are genuinely frightening. 

This is not normal and not a case of folk just tightening their belts to get through it. It is outrageous that we’re basically just running without a government while this fucking circus of a leadership race goes on.