Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

20 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Was looking at my Energy account with Octopus today. Currently on their flexible tariff and direct debit is £250 a month having doubled when the cap went up. 

My account is currently sitting £646 in credit with a bill of probably around £90ish to come out in August. 

Now I fully understand building up credit for winter months but seriously just considering cancelling the DD and getting that money back and paying bills as they come in as I don't think there is any discount given for paying by DD like there used to be on a fixed tariff. 

I'm in a similar situation with regard to being in credit (long story), but I've become aware that I have some kind of superstitious belief that a massive bill from elsewhere will magically appear if I end up with some extra money in my account (TBF it almost always does), so I'm leaving it with them. They're about to eat it all up really fucking quick anyway.

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That's your big problem there IMO. 

The SNP have around 100k members and it took the decades to get to that size.

And IMO the 1 in 20 figure comes as a result of the almost cult-like following the party enjoys.

This group have no more than a few weeks from a standing start.

As for leaflets, given the time constraints, they shouldn't be thinking about anything other than a cheap A6 single sided flyer with a catchy heading directing everyone to their campaign website. Anything else and people will ditch the leaflet. You get about 2 seconds to gain the attention of householders before your leaflet hits the bin.

Saxoprint will rattle off 500,000 of those for around £2.5k and there should be no VAT payable either if the leaflets are designed to be read once and dumped.

The SNP didnt have a slow steady growth to 100k they ticked along at about 20k forever and then exploded to 120k in 2 months are Indyref. 

That's the sort of traction they will need.

Also they are UK wide so shouldn't be that hard.

13 hours ago, strichener said:

The relatively unknown firm also has BG and Conoco assets now.  However, my point wasn't that BP were a big player in the North Sea but that the UK is still their biggest market.  The reality is that Harbour are all about extraction, BP is about the entire upstream and downstream markets.  How many Harbour Energy petrol stations have you come across?

One of the reasons that NOCs invest relatively little is that they normally partner with private companies or are like Saudi Aramco where the capital investment to produce is tiny compared to say deep water drilling in GoM.

Not officially BG assets, the entirety of BG was purchased by Shell who about a year later divested the BG North sea portfolio to Chrysaor (later harbour energy, making a bad name worse). It's potato potato though, 2 of the 3 operated assets sold spent most of their life with BP.

And zero harbour energy petrol stations, I'm fully aware they are an upstream only company....

Having petrol stations would defeat the point, it's much better for them to stay relatively annonymised. Them (or even BG group) are not big enough names to make the front of newspapers. That is only BP, Shell and Centrica.

I wasn't commenting on the gross investment of NOCs just the % on the energy transition (which is far less than the supermajors).

The future for O&G extraction in Northern Europe won't be BP or Shell, it will be companies you have never heard of or maybe the likes of total who aren't big names here. Too much hassle for a declining basin.

Can't help but feel so many people are blindly walking into this winter period of even higher energy bills. 

Aside from the obvious poorest people suffering, you're going to see previously comfortable households feeling the pinch. 

They'll be nothing meaningful to cut from expenditure either, with 2x PCP cars in the drive and food prices draining the funds. Will be a hard lesson for people who really shouldn't be in a financially precariously position. 

On 02/08/2022 at 10:01, Michael W said:

Mines was upped 50% despite fixing before the price cap rise came in. Gave them a reading that put me into credit and it went back down again. Arseholes. 

Having moaned about this, I was asked for another reading. I was in credit, and they have decided to refund the credit balance to me. 

Very strange. I wouldn't say the credit balance was hugely significant (it's just shy of 1.5x a monthly DD payment) so I would've probably preferred that it was retained on account to counter the bills in winter. Wonder if they have had some grief from the regulator for holding onto customer money? 

12 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see something similar up here being offered 

Makes absolute sense and hope that it is implemented in lower leagues.

It's not going to happen in the short term but I would love to see a North / South split in the lower two leagues too.......sending clubs on journeys like Elgin to Annan twice a season is madness for clubs and supporters alike. A pointless waste of fuel.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

A pointless waste of fuel.

Scottish clubs will also hopefully withdraw from European competition. "Pointless waste of fuel" sums up their collective attempts pretty well over the past 40 years or so.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Makes absolute sense and hope that it is implemented in lower leagues.

It's not going to happen in the short term but I would love to see a North / South split in the lower two leagues too.......sending clubs on journeys like Elgin to Annan twice a season is madness for clubs and supporters alike. A pointless waste of fuel.

Why bother playing football at all? It's all a pointless waste of energy.

Some guy on BBC Breakfast this morning pontificating about whether households would prefer to cover the costs of failed energy companies via their energy bills before Christmas or after.

Im still unclear as to why that falls on households through energy bills rather than on, say, shareholders, directors or government for lax regulation. Inevitably via government it would still fall on the public purse but the idea that i should pay for the failure of some company I’ve never done business with is ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Some guy on BBC Breakfast this morning pontificating about whether households would prefer to cover the costs of failed energy companies via their energy bills before Christmas or after.

Im still unclear as to why that falls on households through energy bills rather than on, say, shareholders, directors or government for lax regulation. Inevitably via government it would still fall on the public purse but the idea that i should pay for the failure of some company I’ve never done business with is ridiculous.

I guess the argument is that the energy companies the customers of the failed providers have been transferred to didn't actually want to take them on.  Notionally they'll selling them energy at the price cap rate which is less than they can buy the energy for so they have to be compensated.

14 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Need some advice. We are with Shell Energy. They keep asking us if we want a smart meter installed. 

I have so far resisted this and just done manual readings.

Has anyone installed one and is it worthwhile?

I have resisted. Every time I read about them, it seems to be about folk having problems with this. Particularly if you change supplier.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I have resisted. Every time I read about them, it seems to be about folk having problems with this. Particularly if you change supplier.

Think that was with the Gen 1 smart meters.  I've got a Gen 2 and have changed suppliers several times with no issues.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Yes that has been my experience too. The only true benefit seems to be for the utility companies. Costs around £400 to install? No doubt we are all paying for that through our bills.

I am quite capable of reading two meters and submitting readings every month. Takes a total of 5 mins.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348301/mse-poll-energy-smart-meters-whats-your-view/p1

SSE/Hydro/OVO have been chasing me to put a smart meter in for years, by email, text, letter and phone. Almost weekly. The ones who phone can’t give me any genuine benefits at all to them, other than ‘it’ll save you money’, but the only thing that’ll save me money is using less electric and gas. I know how to do that - switch shit off - although explaining the concept to the wife is taking a bit longer.

How much they could have saved on not wasting paper and on having call centre staff do something more productive all this time is another matter. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Why bother playing football at all? It's all a pointless waste of energy.

The 2pm kick-off idea is a sensible mitigation though. Morton's energy costs are apparently up 300% already and we no longer have some daft sugar daddy writing IOUs for his sprogs to collect later. So that cost leads to a threadbare squad being signed as well as an extra 10% hike in walk-up ticket prices. When people complain about paying £22 for a game at Cappielow - well energy costs are a big reason why that's the price now. 

Business energy use will quite possibly be rationed across Europe this winter so football clubs scheduling to use a set of floodlights every fortnight is daft.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/lanarkshire-brewery-calls-day-amidst-27635577

Other businesses will be collapsing left, right and centre for similar cost reasons and if Scottish football doesn't adapt then a lot of its clubs will follow. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I have absolutely no idea why so many people are getting them installed.

Because many people are too lazy to read meter readings and taken in by buzzwords such as “Smart”.

I could understand people getting them who are partially sighted, disabled or elderly who live alone and find it difficult to open the cabinets as the plastic key latch is knackered.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Spanish Government are bringing forward a law that limits Aircon to 27 degrees and heating to 19 degrees in public places such as bars, shops, cinemas and state buildings. 

The Great Reset in action. 

As usual: 😂