Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Sort of, I could hear the conversation and shouted "no, tell her to keep it for herself...for fucksake!"

Sounds remarkably like phone conversations in our house...

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've not been in this thread until now.

We pre-empted the expected rise by doubling our Direct Debit. We then hear from EDF they want double again and have actually collected the first payment. She called them today..."oh aye, our mistake, we'll put you back on the rate you increased to. Would you like a refund?"

Possibly been mentioned before, but make sure you question any increase.

Absolutely. Like yourself I'm with EDF after my previous energy supplier went bust. Got the shock of my life a couple of weeks ago when EDF emailed to say that having done a DD review my DD was being increased by 175% to £450 a month. Straight on the phone, they offered to reduce it down to £363 then went on their online chat where the advisor re-set it back to what I was originally paying pre DD review. We have a small debit outstanding which was pending to be taken in June along with our monthly charge. Logged in today and this pre-planned payment has now dissapeared and my debit is sitting at £0. Fook knows what's going on.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Having a look at my energy account online they state the following:

You are in credit by £95.

Your current DD is £133 per month.

Your expected usage is £160. (My usage for the last 2 months is under £100)

We recommend you make your DD £189.

They are just plucking these last two numbers out of their arses. 😂

So, in short, I am already paying more than I need to and have built up a nice credit as a result but they want a substantial increase anyway?

They can f**k right off. Just like they did when they increased it without asking first and then had to reduce it straight back again immediately after I found out about it. 😂

People MUST challenge these companies when they try it on and IMO the government needs to get involved to stop this blatant abuse because OFGEM are incapable of doing it and a lot of vulnerable people are just going to accept the increases.

OFGEM said they were doing that a few weeks ago.  the deadline should have run out by now.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/may/03/energy-firms-have-three-weeks-to-justify-direct-debit-hikes-kwarteng-warns

I’m also in credit. My usage last month was £70 less than my direct debit. My usage has been even less this month. And that’s after I argued them down by £30 a month.

The big question is when will these companies let you drop your direct debit to reflect the government support that’s coming? The cost of living won’t actually ease until you don’t have to pay as much out every month as you currently have to.

I’m also in credit. My usage last month was £70 less than my direct debit. My usage has been even less this month. And that’s after I argued them down by £30 a month.
The big question is when will these companies let you drop your direct debit to reflect the government support that’s coming? The cost of living won’t actually ease until you don’t have to pay as much out every month as you currently have to.
Is there anything stopping you from cancelling your direct debit and to just pay manually every month for what you use?

I paid 39 quid today for my last month's gas/electricity usage (1 bed flat). On my account the suggested DD amount was £105. Even without the £400 quid government support, I doubt monthly average over the next 12 months will be more than £70.

Just for a laugh (odd sense of humour, I know) I've been keeping an eye on my energy provider's direct debit recommendations for the past couple of months. It's fluctuated wildly between £90 and £235 per month.

Due to billing f**k-ups that I think I've already mentioned on here, I'm almost £600 in credit.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Just for a laugh (odd sense of humour, I know) I've been keeping an eye on my energy provider's direct debit recommendations for the past couple of months. It's fluctuated wildly between £90 and £235 per month.

Due to billing f**k-ups that I think I've already mentioned on here, I'm almost £600 in credit.

Nice interest free loan for your provider.  Multiply that by 3-4 million and you can see why they do it.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

That was me until 2 days ago and my new bill appeared. DD doubled to £260 and I’m miraculously £180 in debit.

Robbing hoormongers. 

Am I getting this wrong? Isn't a Government contribution to your bill just encouragement to the fuel companies, and the excuse they need to keep prices high?

If the Government told everyone to pay what you can, without skinning yourself, the companies would simply be left with a load of bad debt and if they wanted to maintain some income, reduce prices.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Am I getting this wrong? Isn't a Government contribution to your bill just encouragement to the fuel companies, and the excuse they need to keep prices high?

If the Government told everyone to pay what you can, without skinning yourself, the companies would simply be left with a load of bad debt and if they wanted to maintain some income, reduce prices.

Yes. We’re all paying for the £400 which goes to the energy companies. 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Yes. We’re all paying for the £400 which goes to the energy companies. 

That's what I mean. It's not a customer subsidy, it's a Government donation to the energy companies, being paid via the customer. There is nothing in it for the consumer.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's what I mean. It's not a customer subsidy, it's a Government donation to the energy companies, being paid via the customer. There is nothing in it for the consumer.

Yup, but apparently its a "windfall tax".

A fucking tax on us to feed the poor energy supplying robbing c***s.

21 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Yup, but apparently its a "windfall tax".

A fucking tax on us to feed the poor energy supplying robbing c***s.

The Government tax the companies, and give it to us on the understanding we'll give it back to the companies along with a bit more of our own money. Am I getting it now?

image.png.570591900a575c09bf121933d835a1ee.png

56 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can someone explain to me what energy "suppliers" actually bring to the table, as opposed to energy producers?

Could P&B all bunce in and buy some electric and sell it on?

Making a profit and employing folk, often not in this country.

The important stuff of getting the electricity and gas to your home is looked after by a company albeit on a much tighter rein.

But don't dare question the fact that vital things like, heating, lighting and cooking are supplied by a provider who's sole reason is to make a profit for their shareholders.

This new load of cash the government are giving out is like bailing water out of a sinking boat but ignoring the leak.

It will only help a little, and since it's a one off, will only help a little only once. What happens next year when, whoops, the prices either don't go down much or don't go down at all?

The 'cost of living crisis' could probably be more accurately termed 'the profit crisis', as it's all being driven by companies who insist on making increasing profits each year. Never mind that they are making ludicrous profits, it must always be more. Their greed long ago got out of control and we're increasingly paying the price. Many greedy companies could see theit profits halved and they'd still be making obscene sums of money. 

Short term greed is so fucking vile and insidious. It always has been and always will be. History has shown time and time again how damaging and short sighted it is.