Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

56 minutes ago, mizfit said:

They’re going to end up pushing something through at the last minute to prevent this aren’t they?

Potentially, but not for any reason other than to make Boris look all warm and cuddly while the latest round of partygate sleaze comes out.

Must think we button up the back.

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Have you tried cutting back on your Starbucks? 

What about cutting back on paying your energy supplier to zero for being greedy c***s. 

It's a sign of how fucked the market is when Ofgem determine transmission prices based on how expensive it is to get the electricity to the market and yet ignkre what is actually used to generate the electricity.

If we were having a holistic approach then let's look at the source mix for electricity - Scotland has less than 15% of electricity generated by gas.  The UK has near 40%.

Why bother paying premium for green electricity when it was more expensive than other power sources if you don't see any benefit when costs invert.  It's an absolute scandal that generating companies that claim to have significant power being generated by renewables are using the increase in gas as a reason that they cannot provide electricity at the rates they used to.  

If the cost does increase to £2800, I look forward to the government increasing the warm homes discount to £2300 to ensure that those that can least afford it are able to heat their homes.  This would be the equivalent to when the £140 was first introduced and shows you how a life changing scheme can quickly become not fit for purpose.

Rant over.  Except to say - let's ban energy trading and see what happens to prices.  They add f**k all to the market and substantial cost to the consumer.  If you want to buy electric or gas etc. then force the c***s to take it and ban them from selling it on.  Rant over this time!

Edited by strichener

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

It's a sign of how fucked the market is when Ofgem determine transmission prices based on how expensive it is to get the electricity to the market and yet ignkre what is actually used to generate the electricity.

If we were having a holistic approach then let's look at the source mix for electricity - Scotland has less than 15% of electricity generated by gas.  The UK has near 40%.

Why bother paying premium for green electricity when it was more expensive than other power sources if you don't see any benefit when costs invert.  It's an absolute scandal that generating companies that claim to have significant power being generated by renewables are using the increase in gas as a reason that they cannot provide electricity at the rates they used to.  

If the cost does increase to £2800, I look forward to the government increasing the warm homes discount to £2300 to ensure that those that can least afford it are able to heat their homes.  This would be the equivalent to when the £140 was first introduced and shows you how a life changing scheme can quickly become not fit for purpose.

Rant over.  Except to say - let's ban energy trading and see what happens to prices.  They add f**k all to the market and substantial cost to the consumer.  If you want to buy electric or gas etc. then force the c***s to take it and ban them from selling it on.  Rant over this time!

I’m in total agreement on this, it’s a farce that global price movement in a resource that only has a small bearing on generation in Scotland can cause a doubling in price, unfortunately, most of us don’t have the luxury of living off grid & therefore are basically forced to pay these exorbitant prices. 
I’m too lazy to look into how much the energy providers are paying out to their shareholders in dividends, but I’d imagine they aren’t taking a bit of the pain of higher generating costs. Unless there are riots in the streets, the government will do the bare minimum to ensure they are re-elected. Pensioners and poor people dying isn’t enough to convince them btw. 

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Potentially, but not for any reason other than to make Boris look all warm and cuddly while the latest round of partygate sleaze comes out.

Must think we button up the back.

Of course they do, and they have tons of evidence to prove them right.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Rather a lot of those companies have little or no renewable energy generating capacity of their own, nor any contracts with actual renewable energy generating companies.

And yet they advertise their electricity as 100% renewable.

They can do this because they buy REGO's, which are basically carbon-offset certificates, aka greenwash.

REGOs cost the companies about £2 or £3 per household supplied.

A while back I downloaded the company accounts/annual report for Octopus Energy, one of the most vocal in it's marketing of '100%renewable energy'.

Buried down in the report is a section titled... Business Risks.  The primary business risk was stated to be if the price of REGO's increased

from their current paltry level of £2 or £3 per household supplied.

There only are 2 or 3 suppliers that don't buy these REGO certificates, all the rest buy them to varying degrees. 

Edited by beefybake

Just now, beefybake said:

Rather a lot of those companies have little or no renewable energy generating capacity of their own, nor any contracts with actual renewable energy generating companies.

And yet they advertise their electricity as 100% renewable.

They can do this because they buy REGO's, which are basically carbon-offset certificates, aka greenwash.

REGOs cost the companies about £2 or £3 per household supplied.

A while back I downloaded the company accounts/annual report for Octopus Energy, one of the most vocal in it's marketing of '100%renewable energy'.

Buried down in the report is a section titled... Business Risks.  The primary business risk was stated to be if the price of REGO's increased

from their current paltry level of £2 or £3 per household supplied.

My figure of 15% is nothing to do with renewable energy guarantees.  It is the actual fuel sources for electric generation on Scotland.  I do however agree with you on the farce that is REGOs.

5 hours ago, mizfit said:

They’re going to end up pushing something through at the last minute to prevent this aren’t they?

In short no.  The October price cap will be in the region of £2,800.  

At a guess I’d say assistance will be similar to what has already been done after the last increase. People on certain benefits would be the easiest and perhaps most effective target group and they may well do a blanket approach using council tax bandings again.

Assisting everyone with any meaningful reduction is simply not going to happen. 

Edited by Shadow Play

On 23/05/2022 at 09:16, Left Back said:

Chief exec of EON says tax those with the broadest shoulders.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-energy-chief-says-any-windfall-tax-should-fall-upon-those-with-the-broadest-shoulders-12619004

I'd suggest that umpteen billions of excess profits in the energy industry makes your shoulders pretty fucking broad.

The ‘it’s up to ofgem’ shit is fucking laughable.  No, no it’s not, Ofgem have a price cap .  Charging less is absolutely within the power of the energy companies.

18 hours ago, strichener said:

here here strichy, they are fucking at it

at the end of the day, you get the same gas and lecky to your home or business regardless of who your supplier is, as you say, we have one gas fired plant in scotlnad, at fuckin peterhead which doesnt use any russian gas. what we( scots) are paying for is the increase in costs to london and the south east.  Basically as you correctly say, we are greener than ever before yet the price has went through the roof

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

SSE have announced a £1.5bn profit.

Whilst it is obscene and they are part of the energy supply chain.  They don't supply retail customers any more.

They were also very vocal on how much they will be investing, almost like they have been given an out by the government to justify such huge profit.

On 24/05/2022 at 13:10, Bairnardo said:

Just to revisit something I said the other week, the price of natural gas in the UK has plummeted. I confirmed this by speaking to a commercial guy at my work today. 

An absolute disgrace. 

Great news for the energy companies who can just add more profit into the scam they are running.

41 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Investment is an absolute red herring.

The immediate priority right now is prices, not future investment.

Wait. You mean oil and gas companies would continue to diversify their business model as the stocks run out? And open new revenue streams in renewables? Even if they paid proportional tax, you're mad!

It's surely bullshit, if it wasn't for oor Boris they would be sending every penny of profit to the shareholders and riding oil and gas like it was going out of fashion, literally. 😉

The Tory narrative on this takes everyone for fools.

I wonder what has changed in the last week that has caused the Conservatives to go from voting against a windfall tax to, erm, implementing one... 

28 minutes ago, RiG said:

I wonder what has changed in the last week that has caused the Conservatives to go from voting against a windfall tax to, erm, implementing one... 

It could be the announcement of the price cap rising to £2,800 (at least) in October.

Or it could be something else.........😃