Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I’m not missing the point at all.  With or without the MSC there is no current competitive market.  As I’ve said the time to get upset about this is not now.  It makes zero difference to consumers or prices.  When gas costs drop is the time to get upset.  I’m under no illusion the generators aren’t trying to lock in wholesale costs as high as they can for as long as they can.  That is a far cry from the Martin Lewis outrage that was quoted on here with the statement we’re all fucked.

When gas prices fall the price cap will fall.  Yes its dodgy the move to 3 monthly reviews doing a 6 month look back.  Yes the proposed changes to MSC are shite and are in the interests of the generators and not the consumer.

It does not mean we are long term fucked though.  The MSC won’t be in place long term which the likes of ML haven’t mentioned.

The cap affects both electric and gas.  I know that gas is used for a substantial percentage of generation but there is no reason that there is not a competitive electric market.  Some of us don't have natural gas whilst most have electric.  If you don't think there is the capability for a competitive market then I despair.  All the generators that were crowing about their renewables are selling this electric at prices dictated by the gas price.  There 100% is the possibility of supplying electric cheaper than current prices.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

The cap affects both electric and gas.  I know that gas is used for a substantial percentage of generation but there is no reason that there is not a competitive electric market.  Some of us don't have natural gas whilst most have electric.  If you don't think there is the capability for a competitive market then I despair.  All the generators that were crowing about their renewables are selling this electric at prices dictated by the gas price.  There 100% is the possibility of supplying electric cheaper than current prices.

That’s a completely different argument to the uninformed outrage about MSC but also disingenuous when the cost of electricity is still mostly dependant on the cost of gas.  The idea electricity can be supplied through cheap renewables at the moment is pure fantasy.  I’m not ra-raing about it but I can sort of get the argument those prices are locked in for a while because of forward purchasing.  That argument won’t wash with the regulator for long once the actual wholesale price drops.  The next thing the industry will lobby for will be a move back to 6 monthly reviews when prices do start to drop.  They should be told to GTF when they do.

Remember at no point have I been supportive of the changes to MSC.  I merely countered the point we’re all fucked.  We aren’t.  The market will eventually normalise, Wholesale prices will come down, the price cap will come down, MSC will be removed, the suppliers will start cutting each others throats again.

Martin Lewis has done no-one any favours in his rant about this because at no point did he say this wasn’t a permanent change.  Quite the opposite in fact.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Chief exec of EON says tax those with the broadest shoulders.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-energy-chief-says-any-windfall-tax-should-fall-upon-those-with-the-broadest-shoulders-12619004

I'd suggest that umpteen billions of excess profits in the energy industry makes your shoulders pretty fucking broad.

There was a story going about recently that the Royal Mail are going to have to cut costs, lay off staff, and increase prices. Apparently the business is failing and drastic action needs to be taken.

At the bottom of the text was a brief mention that the Royal Mail had "only" made profits of about £700m+ in the last financial year. Nothing presented in the article was questioned.

On 17/05/2022 at 13:14, Jacksgranda said:

Most filling stations round here seem to be at 179.9p/litre for diesel, and that hasn't changed in weeks.

174.9/litre this morning.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

An £800 increase in energy costs from October.

£66 a month extra I’ve worked out. This isn’t feasible.

Just to revisit something I said the other week, the price of natural gas in the UK has plummeted. I confirmed this by speaking to a commercial guy at my work today. 

An absolute disgrace. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

An £800 increase in energy costs from October.

£66 a month extra I’ve worked out. This isn’t feasible.