Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

Is the cap not a bit of a red herring? Most people are paying less so it's mainly protecting people with larger homes.
The unit price should be the focus. 
It's not a ceiling of how much you pay (wish it was) but a price per unit.

Most peoples are now paying the capped rate as cheaper fixes have ended.

To give a good example my unit rate on gas was 2.45p until my old deal ran out on 28th Feb. I'm now paying pretty much that x3 on the capped rate. I explained that best as our gas bill in January was £100, now it would be £300, in October that could be £450 (a month).

Country is fucked.

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I think you’ve completely misunderstood how the cap works (or else I have).  As I understand it the cap IS on the maximum unit price / daily charge any company can charge.  There is no cap whatsoever as to what your annual bill could be.  Your annual bill very much depends on the amount of gas and electricity you use x the unit price.  

You’ve got it correct.  Conspiracy theory boy is having another mare.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think you’ve completely misunderstood how the cap works (or else I have).  As I understand it the cap IS on the maximum unit price / daily charge any company can charge.  There is no cap whatsoever as to what your annual bill could be.  Your annual bill very much depends on the amount of gas and electricity you use x the unit price.  

Your understanding is correct as my £389 per month electric bill proves.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Ouch!  I’m guessing you’ve got older style storage heaters or live in a huge mansion?  

I don't have electric heating, I do have an electric car though.  However I used approximately 11,000 kWh even before I bought my car.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

How many kWh of electric are you getting through a year?  That’s a mental amount

See above.  My estimated annual usage this year is 14,402 kWh.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

I don't have electric heating, I do have an electric car though.  However I used approximately 11,000 kWh even before I bought my car.

See above.  My estimated annual usage this year is 14,402 kWh.

Almost 4x the average UK household usage is crazily high unless you’re in a 10 bedroom house or doing something wild.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

My computer setup uses significant amounts of power.  I don't quite have 10 bedrooms.

jon-hamm-nod.gif

How much do you charge for an ounce, m9? Asking for a mate.

Every energy firm is being unscrupulous at the moment. The cap only applies to the standard variable rate and that for now is what everyone should stick too.
They are allowed to charge whatever they want for fixed rate deals and are continually pushing them.
Most 1 year fixes are at about double the cap.
I am sure many people will be inadvertently falling into these traps.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is anyone else in the Money Saving Expert Cheap Energy Club? It switches you automatically to the best available deal.

Curious if anyone thinks they do a good/bad job. They're advising everyone to stay put at the moment.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

jon-hamm-nod.gif

How much do you charge for an ounce, m9? Asking for a mate.

If you actually knew me, you would know how stupid that question was.  I think I have posted on here previously on how a close family member has had their life destroyed by using.

However, if you are serious then you can get the current prices here 😉

Edited by strichener

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is anyone else in the Money Saving Expert Cheap Energy Club? It switches you automatically to the best available deal.
Curious if anyone thinks they do a good/bad job. They're advising everyone to stay put at the moment.
There is not a single deal on the market that is not vastly more expensive than energy cap.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

They never used to cover all the providers, basically giving the same service as uSwitch did if you kept on the "only show me tariffs that I can switch to today".

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

If you actually knew me, you would know how stupid that question was.  I think I have posted on here previously on how a close family member has had their life destroyed by using.

However, if you are serious then you can get the current prices here 😉

It was a joke, man. None of us know you.

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

There is not a single deal on the market that is not vastly more expensive than energy cap.

Aye, that's advice they've been giving for a while. Just curious how good a service they provide.