Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

43 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

So those in Northern Scotland pay a standing charge which is £62.05 per year more than that paid by those in London.  Does someone know the official reason for this discrepancy?

Yes.  It is because the UK energy market is uniquely structured so that it is based on where the power is consumed rather than generated.  I mean why should people in London pay for the costs of electricity to get to them?  Obviously there are reduced infrastructure costs in densely populated areas but the fact that we are self sufficient in domestic energy in Scotland yet we basically have to subsidise exports is political interference in the electric distribution market.

This was all supposed to be reviewed years ago by ofgem now that energy generation is far more geographically spread but I think they couldn't find a way to keep SE power prices lower and therefore canned the review (I may be a little flippant about the reasons but not the outcome)

Edited by strichener

So those in Northern Scotland pay a standing charge which is £62.05 per year more than that paid by those in London.  Does someone know the official reason for this discrepancy?
Levelling up lads. Swallow it whole, just like the morons who voted for it.

This issue of standing charges was in the news, and seems very unfair. 

It is localised and depends on how much network is needed to connect you. So if you live in central London, the standing charge is lower. If you live somewhere more rural it is higher. Liverpool, even though it is a city, has a higher charge than London. Scotland overall higher still. And the cap for these is regional, and set by Ofgen. Why not have a standard rate for the whole country?

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is localised and depends on how much network is needed to connect you. So if you live in central London, the standing charge is lower. If you live somewhere more rural it is higher. Liverpool, even though it is a city, has a higher charge than London. Scotland overall higher still. And the cap for these is regional, and set by Ofgen. Why not have a standard rate for the whole country?

Also having North Scotland and South Scotland seems overly simplistic.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

You can sort of understand there might be a reason why it costs more to supply & maintain distribution networks in rural areas and that's why southwest of England, North Wales & North Scotland might suffer, but why should London & East (which covers part of greater London area) be so low compared to everywhere else. And the fact that the highlands generates far more electricity than it uses (think its 3 times more), might not be linked to the supply, but still, the fact they pay the highest standing charges just seems crazy. 

On 26/03/2022 at 14:14, oaksoft said:

You are not going to save £100 by overstating your electricity reading by a couple of hundred quid.

And whoever does it risks getting fined or prosecuted for fraud.

Honestly, where do people get these fucking brainless ideas from?

To be honest, I doubt you'd even get billed on the fraudulent read. The most likely scenario is that the companies system automatically recognises that the read is massively out of step with previous consumption, bins it, and replaces with an estimate.

Wee story to give some of you The Fear. 

Years ago I was with Scottish Power. I had major billing issues with them, and as a result downloaded all my statements. I went to the ombudsman eventually, and decided enough was enough and left them. 

I was £300 in credit with them when I pulled the trigger. They sent me a bill saying I owed £900. How had they done this?

Simple. They moved me to a higher tariff, then recalculated the previous two years' usage at the new tariff. Hey presto, a £1200 swing. Oh, and they deleted all my statements from the online system. 

Lucky I still had the statements, made another claim against them with the ombudsman etc. Got my money plus a goodwill gesture of £50. 

What I am trying to say is - download and keep all statements. I wouldn't trust any of these companies not to do this again and recalculate your past usage at the current rate. 

Scottish Power website down and I was on hold for an hour and a half because the useless c**t who signed me up has taken my email address down wrong so I can't log in anyway - then after 90 minutes the call just ends. Absolute shower of useless b*****ds. Raging with myself for going back to this mob so I get what I deserve I suppose.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Scottish Power website down and I was on hold for an hour and a half because the useless c**t who signed me up has taken my email address down wrong so I can't log in anyway - then after 90 minutes the call just ends. Absolute shower of useless b*****ds. Raging with myself for going back to this mob so I get what I deserve I suppose.

giphy.gif

Anyone know the script with Bulb and what you are supposed to do?
We are with them, but obviously they went tits up a few weeks back.....................
I'm with bulb, have a smart meter, so shouldn't really have to take meter readings. The option to add meter readings is on their app.
449e9c1ea1a7958843ab534bf2fd12d4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Anyone know the script with Bulb and what you are supposed to do?

We are with them, but obviously they went tits up a few weeks back.....................

Do nothing seems to be the advice.

https://bulb.co.uk/blog/questions-about-bulb-in-special-administration