Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Didn't Kirstie Allsop say people could afford houses by giving up netflix and gym memberships?

This isn't about affording houses. It's about protecting yourself from rising costs by reducing discretionary spending. 

Gym memberships are great value if you go. We are getting close to the point where if you get down to £1-£1.50 per visit it's probably cheaper than sitting at home with the power running. More expensive gym memberships might get downgraded though. 

Inflation won't have much impact on the ability of people to pay rent and simultaneously save a deposit. It's impossible for most people anyway and the only solution is parental help in the form of a lump sum or rent free accomodation at home. 

As expected it was pretty much go f**k yourselves today. 
His fuel duty reduction was shameful, it's gone up more than 10 times that since the turn of the year.
Reducing VAT to 5% so comparable with domestic fuel would have been a start.
Unless of course they were going to keep to their commitment to scrap VAT on domestic fuel.

3 hours ago, jakedee said:

His fuel duty reduction was shameful, it's gone up more than 10 times that since the turn of the year.
Unless of course they were going to keep to their commitment to scrap VAT on domestic fuel.

Will his fuel duty reduction be extended to heating oil? I've not seen that confirmed anywhere but considering it was like 10p a liter it's not going to make a massive difference in the overall cost which is extortionate.

3 hours ago, jakedee said:

Fuel duty rates haven't increased in the UK since 2010 or something, with the cost of public transport rising every single year with inflation + gouging from operators. 

The very last group to receive relief from the government then are private car owners. 

Fuel duty rates haven't increased in the UK since 2010 or something, with the cost of public transport rising every single year with inflation + gouging from operators. 
The very last group to receive relief from the government then are private car owners. 
It's not only private car users who pay for fuel.
If delivery costs rise, almost everything rises.

Will his fuel duty reduction be extended to heating oil? I've not seen that confirmed anywhere but considering it was like 10p a liter it's not going to make a massive difference in the overall cost which is extortionate.
There is no fuel duty on domestic heating oil(yellow kerosene).

19 minutes ago, jakedee said:

It's not only private car users who pay for fuel.
If delivery costs rise, almost everything rises.

Deliveries do not need to be made predominantly by fossil fuel driven road haulage. 

The government is not reducing duty on fuel because of haulage companies anyway, but rather to placate its core priority since taking power in 2010. 

Deliveries do not need to be made predominantly by fossil fuel driven road haulage. 
The government is not reducing duty on fuel because of haulage companies anyway, but rather to placate its core priority since taking power in 2010. 
Rail freight has its own problems - a Network Rail not fit for purpose and recalcitrant trade unions being two of the main obstacles to it's Increased use.

12 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

May of been mentioned on here before, but for anyone who doesn't have a smart meter and provides a monthly reading.......if you go a few hundred units high on the March reading, you'll pay pre-April prices for another month.

"A few hundred units" is about a month's usage for electric.

The problem with this is that it's fraud, and a suspiciously high reading will stand out like a sore thumb.

They won't catch everyone, obviously, but they will get some.

You won't avoid the standing charge increase either. Is it really worth it?

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"A few hundred units" is about a month's usage for electric.

The problem with this is that it's fraud, and a suspiciously high reading will stand out like a sore thumb.

They won't catch everyone, obviously, but they will get some.

You won't avoid the standing charge increase either. Is it really worth it?

Sorry Rishi.

A months worth of electric at the 'cheap' rate could amount to a saving of £100 or more for some.

Not really sure they'd have any moral high ground to take with this.

I'm talking about a couple of hundred units, which will not 'stand out' like anything. I also have henley blocks which I could use to just by-pass the meter safely, but that WOULD be fraud/theft.

I'm not that sure fuel companies give much of a shite about rigging meters etc either. Every single case I've had they've simply worked out how much should have been paid and treated it as a bog standard debt which can then be fired into a bankruptcy. One was about £23,000 [emoji15]

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm not that sure fuel companies give much of a shite about rigging meters etc either. Every single case I've had they've simply worked out how much should have been paid and treated it as a bog standard debt which can then be fired into a bankruptcy. One was about £23,000 emoji15.png

It was taken very seriously when I worked in the industry. Both from a safety and revenue protection angle. It's one of the reasons they've switched to smart meters. Energy abstraction wasn't uncommon in domestic dwellings in years gone by, but they'd lose a lot of money if any commercial customers were doing it. A smart meter will flag it instantly now. I don't know if it's still the case, but a smart meter could cut off supply remotely if it was obvious someone was at the fiddle so to speak.

27 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Sorry Rishi.

A months worth of electric at the 'cheap' rate could amount to a saving of £100 or more for some.

Not really sure they'd have any moral high ground to take with this.

I'm talking about a couple of hundred units, which will not 'stand out' like anything. I also have henley blocks which I could use to just by-pass the meter safely, but that WOULD be fraud/theft.

Variable electric unit rates are going up by about 8p per unit. You'd therefore need to bang over a thousand units through to save £100

Given the "average" annual usage is around 3,750 kwh, if you think customers en mass banging through monthly readings over 1,000 units higher than expected won't go unnoticed then I think you are slightly naïve.

Edited by Todd_is_God

52 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

May of been mentioned on here before, but for anyone who doesn't have a smart meter and provides a monthly reading.......if you go a few hundred units high on the March reading, you'll pay pre-April prices for another month.

This'll be standard English in 10 years time...

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Variable electric unit rates are going up by about 8p per unit. You'd therefore need to bang over a thousand units through to save £100

Given the "average" annual usage is around 3,750 kwh, if you think customers en mass banging through monthly readings over 1,000 units higher than expected won't go unnoticed then I think you are slightly naïve.

Average use. Some will use a lot less, some a lot more.

Can't find the bit where I mentioned people giving readings over 1000 units higher.