Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

I'm not Satoshi but it's an open forum so I think I can jump in.  St James Place is notorious in personal finance circles for charging whopping adviser fees and the like, entry and exit fees for investing with them (mad), and basically just being a massively overpriced provider of investment services.  All they basically do is gaslight you into thinking they know best and all this investment stuff is way too complicated, and put your money in the same funds that a reasonably priced IFA will use, or that you could find yourself, and charge you 3/4/5% instead of 1% for the privilege.  It's not that it's a scam or anything, and your money will probably grow, but the fees can really restrict your returns.  The sensible approach (IMHO) is to use a proper IFA, or learn about passive investing yourself and DIY.   SJP have a massive plush office building surrounded by luxury motors in the west end of Aberdeen and every time I go past I'm reminded of the trope "where are the customers' yachts?!"

Spot on, if anyone is still with SJP do the right thing and leave immediately.

On 25/02/2022 at 21:28, Stu said:

Fixed rate ends at the end of March. New fixed rate deal has a standing charge and off-peak at double what I'm currently paying. Peak is about 50% more.

The standard one SSE are proposing to shift me on to has only a slight increase on my current fixed rate - but I'm assuming that's going to jump a huge amount come April 1? Would I be as well biting the bullet an going with the new fixed one or holding off and see what happens?

Looks like the price of the fixed rate has gone up even more since I posted this - off peak now well more than double and peak has doubled.

Think I'll let it click on to the standard on April 1 and see what happens...

On 02/03/2022 at 21:10, Deanburn Dave said:

Build dams, flood the Glens and let's go Hydroelectric. Plenty of rain in Scotland.

(disclaimer :- I am absolutely clueless on how much electricity this could produce and am too feckin lazy to google)

Tom Johnston already did this a few decades ago.

12 hours ago, resk said:

I'm not Satoshi but it's an open forum so I think I can jump in.  St James Place is notorious in personal finance circles for charging whopping adviser fees and the like, entry and exit fees for investing with them (mad), and basically just being a massively overpriced provider of investment services.  All they basically do is gaslight you into thinking they know best and all this investment stuff is way too complicated, and put your money in the same funds that a reasonably priced IFA will use, or that you could find yourself, and charge you 3/4/5% instead of 1% for the privilege.  It's not that it's a scam or anything, and your money will probably grow, but the fees can really restrict your returns.  The sensible approach (IMHO) is to use a proper IFA, or learn about passive investing yourself and DIY.   SJP have a massive plush office building surrounded by luxury motors in the west end of Aberdeen and every time I go past I'm reminded of the trope "where are the customers' yachts?!"

Are you Russell Anderson?

I've hazy recollections from school (A for Higher Economics btw) that the idea of privatising utility companies was to make them more efficient. 

My supplier is Shell and they aim to give shareholders 30% of their cashflow. 

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I’m the lucky one today.

SSE Gas up by 75.4%. Electric by 41%. Absolute robbing fucking c***s.

Surely at some point, they should have to show all these developments they’ve made by “reinvesting their profits” over the years?

They have reinvested their profits into fines for failing to comply with the regulator.

4 months ago my energy bill was £95 per month. Just had an email from Shell Energy and now have to go to £199 per month and probably more in a few months due to Ukraine.  I am in a position where I can pay this for the time being but many people will struggle badly and be faced with choice of eating or heating.  The only good thing is we are heading for Spring and Summer so there should be less reliance on heating.

This really cannot go on and both governments must act.

35 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

4 months ago my energy bill was £95 per month. Just had an email from Shell Energy and now have to go to £199 per month and probably more in a few months due to Ukraine.  I am in a position where I can pay this for the time being but many people will struggle badly and be faced with choice of eating or heating.  The only good thing is we are heading for Spring and Summer so there should be less reliance on heating.

This really cannot go on and both governments must act.

I agree with this sentiment but not sure it'll happen. 

Ed Miliband was on TV this morning. Labour want more on-shore wind farms, more nuclear, more insulation...yep, great. We'll really feel the benefits of these 10 years after Labour get elected. As for help right now - nothing was said. And if the opposition aren't pushing for it, why should the government do anything?

The government are quite simply going to have to cover the next rise if the price doesn’t settle quickly. No real use trying to means test, even aside from the inevitability of people slipping through cracks and help being given where it isn’t needed, if you can technically afford a £350 per month bill in October, rather than £120 in March, what impact does that have on your spending in the wider economy?

They won’t do much of course. Kwarteng doesn’t want to ‘spook investors’ like those idiots in France have done by capping the rise at 3% (ours is 54%). We’ll get the last laugh.

One thing that seems inevitable is the ‘loan’ of £200 we’re all being given won’t be called in any time soon, and will likely end up written off.

I can see public unrest happening, every greedy b*****d is putting their prices up and the only one losing out is the poor punter. Food, petrol, energy, Sky everyone is having a pop at the moment. It will have to end somewhere and they are talking about a new Royal Yacht - they really have no grasp on reality.

I was lucky enough to change supplier and get a locked in price for a year just before everything went tits up in October last year. I'm dreading what they'll charge when the deal runs out. 

That said, I could save a lot if my wife wasn't 'always cold' so needs to live in a fucking sauna. She must have royal blood in her because I'm sure she's reptilian. 😄

It's not just household bills. 

Less disposable income leads to less economic activity overall which creates a downward spiral of lower incomes and job losses. 

The application of sanctions was a choice by every government in the west to cut the living standards of their populations permanently. 

I said a while ago on another thread that moving away from cars doesn't require any specific legislation it just requires governments and corporations to price people out of driving and buying cars. What we are seeing now is many people being priced out of heating and eating while others are being given a 'choice' between domestic consumption and leisure consumption. Either way it will bring us closer to the climate targets. 

The government are quite simply going to have to cover the next rise if the price doesn’t settle quickly. No real use trying to means test, even aside from the inevitability of people slipping through cracks and help being given where it isn’t needed, if you can technically afford a £350 per month bill in October, rather than £120 in March, what impact does that have on your spending in the wider economy?

They won’t do much of course. Kwarteng doesn’t want to ‘spook investors’ like those idiots in France have done by capping the rise at 3% (ours is 54%). We’ll get the last laugh.

One thing that seems inevitable is the ‘loan’ of £200 we’re all being given won’t be called in any time soon, and will likely end up written off.
Likes of EDF can afford to subsidise their French customers thanks to our gov allowing them to absolutely fleece the UK

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's not just household bills. 

Less disposable income leads to less economic activity overall which creates a downward spiral of lower incomes and job losses. 

The application of sanctions was a choice by every government in the west to cut the living standards of their populations permanently. 

I said a while ago on another thread that moving away from cars doesn't require any specific legislation it just requires governments and corporations to price people out of driving and buying cars. What we are seeing now is many people being priced out of heating and eating while others are being given a 'choice' between domestic consumption and leisure consumption. Either way it will bring us closer to the climate targets. 

1071466126_CHh4ecldYnZYjNmOjdLpEO40_tw.gif.f3ad8a68ff7680959948259543424093.gif