Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

That’s mine just came through. Standing charge almost doubled. £40 a month increase. 

Mine came through today too. Standing charge for electricity almost doubled and price per unit of gas more than doubled. Not going to try to make calculations to delay the nuclear heads-gone I fully expect to have.

Thanks a bunch, you shower of profiteering pieces of shit.

No one can convince me otherwise, these energy price rises are purely down to corporate greed.

Who is the cartel that sets out wholesale energy costs?

If BP and Shell are posting huge profits, I would be very interested in what the major energy players in the UK are posting.

Privatisation equals end user getting shafted in all cases., I.e.  trains, power, post office, care, so on and so on.

The only winners are asset management companies, hedge funds, politicians and their cronies.

Energy should be nationalised, amongst others. UK Gov not interested as they vested interests in it ripping you off.

UK is an utter binfire of corporate greed and dishonesty

ec1d89508868ac6f64756207a7b44d90.jpg

This is what me and partner are being quoted for fixed with octopus. Our last bill was for £66 (we are on variable at the moment) should we go for it? We don’t use much electric or gas (mostly gas heating in the morning and for 10-15 minutes at night before bed). Cooker uses gas as well.

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Maybe no difference to you or me but to some that reduction would mean an awful lot.

You have answered your own question.

There are many of us who won't notice the hike and it is therefore fair to suggest that they should not benefit from a VAT break.

I'm sure there are mechanisms that a one nation administration could implement to help those truly in need.

These c***s are getting away with coordinated daylight robbery on a massive scale. The fact that we are bearing the entire brunt of wholesale changes so profits can increase exponentially is a fucking scandal. 

The situation in Eastern Europe is nothing but a convenient excuse. Energy prices, gas prices and petrol prices have been ramping up long before this came to a head.

Fixed rate ends at the end of March. New fixed rate deal has a standing charge and off-peak at double what I'm currently paying. Peak is about 50% more.

The standard one SSE are proposing to shift me on to has only a slight increase on my current fixed rate - but I'm assuming that's going to jump a huge amount come April 1? Would I be as well biting the bullet an going with the new fixed one or holding off and see what happens?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Also, if my energy company is using almost 80% renewable resources for their electricity, how can they be increasing so much if it's not simple greed?

e-on claim to use 100% renewable electricity in the UK. would be interesting to see what their new electricity unit rates and SCs will be.

Edited by Arch Stanton

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fixed rate ends at the end of March. New fixed rate deal has a standing charge and off-peak at double what I'm currently paying. Peak is about 50% more.

The standard one SSE are proposing to shift me on to has only a slight increase on my current fixed rate - but I'm assuming that's going to jump a huge amount come April 1? Would I be as well biting the bullet an going with the new fixed one or holding off and see what happens?

Nobody knows but at the moment looking at what fixed price is v October price cap looks to be the shout rather than v April where you will always be paying more on on a fixed rate than the price cap. 

The other variable is the likes of octopus and bulb go bust anyway and you are shifted by the regulator onto some shitty rate elsewhere. 

It's a shitshow. My only crumb of comfort is when stuff starts to affect the middle classes you might see action. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The regulator needs to be stepping in here because all of these companies are doubling their electricity standing charges overnight at exactly the same time.

Surely this is a blatant case of price collusion?

Also, if my energy company is using almost 80% renewable resources for their electricity, how can they be increasing so much if it's not simple greed?

My word!

You show a profound ignorance of the mechanisms at play.

It isn't greed, it's just the market at play.

Perhaps we need a maternal influence.

Just got ours - 

From 1 April, our prices will be increasing

We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 20.382p to 27.838p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 24.856p to 49.646p per day.

We're increasing our gas unit rate from 4.010p to 7.335p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.

These prices all include VAT at 5%.

Crivvens! How are people on low fixed incomes meant to cope with this? 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

You can probably work out your costs on any offered fixed rate by doing the sums based on the standing charge and the unit rate per kWh. Then check your normal usage and apply the figures (or, to simplify, check what you usually use in month and multiply it by the kWh figure, then add on the standing charge).

You can then compare that to what you'd pay on a variable rate when the cap increases. Below are the figures of the new cap, which all variable rates will follow at a minimum. Bear in mind though that there will be a further increase in October, so even though all fixed rates being offered now are more pricey, they will probably be less than the variable and whatever fixed rates are being offered in October. So you might be able to pay less on a variable until October, but when that hits you will pay more, and the fixed rates may be worse than what you can get now. I suppose its a case of doing the sums really!

Electricity is the top row, gas the bottom.

Screenshot_20220225-223108_Opera.thumb.jpg.95fff247c4736cbe6cbacee3b5f28f2e.jpg

Edited by DA Baracus

Just got ours - 

We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 20.382p to 27.838p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 24.856p to 49.646p per day.

We're increasing our gas unit rate from 4.010p to 7.335p per kWh and standing charge from 26.112p to 27.219p per day.

They won't. Those on benefits and low income aren't coping at the moment. Factor in the price hikes and there's going to be millions of households absolutely crippled by this. I'm starting to think (probably wishful thinking) that this might be the tipping point and people will actually take to the streets to protest.

14 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Just got ours - 

I have a two bed semi and have gone from 80 this time last year to 120 today. Will be 170 from April and currently looking at 225 from October. 

3 fold increase in 18 months. I'll live but others won't. 

My grandad is on blood thinning meds and constantly freezing so sits in all say with the heating pumped up. He will be looked after but i don't think its ridiculous to say some older folk will die. 

My advice to the elderly is tell them to ram it and die with debt. f**k them 

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
22 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:
Just got ours - 

They won't. Those on benefits and low income aren't coping at the moment. Factor in the price hikes and there's going to be millions of households absolutely crippled by this. I'm starting to think (probably wishful thinking) that this might be the tipping point and people will actually take to the streets to protest.

Also worth noting that power companies are allowed to apply for third party deductions from Universal Credit without requiring the claimant's permission for fuel debt and ongoing usage below 25% of their standard allowance. So basically up to £127 a month from a couple on UC without them being able to do anything about it.