Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

The price cap only applies to the variable/standard tariff. There is nothing to stop suppliers offering you a fixed deal at a higher price, and currently, there are no fixed tariffs available that are any cheaper than the current price cap, they are all a bit more expensive.

Also worth noting, that as per the OFGEM website, the prices given by them for the price cap are "averages and will vary by region, payment method and meter type"
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

The current price cap will last until October 2022. No one knows how long the current very high gas prices will last (and what's happening in Ukraine won't help it in any way), but it's already thought that the next price cap rise in October will add another 20% increase. I think even Martin Lewis is a bit lost with what to advise people right now.

12 minutes ago, s_dog said:

The price cap only applies to the variable/standard tariff. There is nothing to stop suppliers offering you a fixed deal at a higher price, and currently, there are no fixed tariffs available that are any cheaper than the current price cap, they are all a bit more expensive.

Also worth noting, that as per the OFGEM website, the prices given by them for the price cap are "averages and will vary by region, payment method and meter type"
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

The current price cap will last until October 2022. No one knows how long the current very high gas prices will last (and what's happening in Ukraine won't help it in any way), but it's already thought that the next price cap rise in October will add another 20% increase. I think even Martin Lewis is a bit lost with what to advise people right now.

I've just fixed mine at about £65 a month more than I'm paying just now, until 2024. I'd rather know as I'm on standard variable just now.

1 hour ago, red23 said:

Still going on about this, creepy because i said i'd try it on with a girl at the work night out. Something i'm sure all you moral crusaders have never tried before eh?

Tell me you're a short, balding virgin without telling me you're a short, balding virgin 😂

Offt!! Just received an email from SSE informing me that my direct debit payments will be increasing as of March. Gas has risen around £30 per month to £100 while my electric has risen by £16 per month to £60. All in it's an increase of around £600 for the year.
Mine is up £774 a year.

Going to be paying £180 a month.

Reckon I might still end up getting a refund because they've based it on our use last year - we were working from home for the first 3 months in the middle of winter.

Not in the least wanting to sound smug as my electric, which I still use for most appliances has risen from approx £100 pm to £140 pm. My heating/hot water is biomass and has just risen per delivery from £295 to £305. This covers me for about 6 weeks in the winter and for about 3 months over the summer.
Seriously looking at solar panels/battery storage now.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just received email from EDF saying that my contract is up on 31st March and my new rates are elec 34 per kWh and gas 10p per kWh plus elec S/C of 50p per day and gas at 27per day.

Thats way over a doubling of what I was paying before!!

Havent started looking around yet but I think it’s probably better to go on to the standard variable rate and let the price cap kick in.

Any advice, please?

Wow, this is really quite serious.

Move to a country that is has reduced VAT on electricity (like Spain).

If you're on a direct debit, do meter readings regularly. I'd say at least once a week. Most companies let you enter the readings online. 

As a poster above has said, direct debit costs for energy are based off an 'estimate' (which in almost every case is way too much; sadly, in way too many cases, they get away with it because not enough people know to question it; it's basically theft). Document this too, as in take photos of every reading. 

Sadly there isn't much else people can do other than try to limit their usage. Over summer that won't be so bad, but when it gets to the end of year and winter, along with the October rise, kicks in, folk will be really, really fucked. Not an exaggeration to say that people are going to die because of this.

Every single provider is raising costs, and will do so again in October. I very much doubt they will be lowering costs again in the near to middle future, if at all, despite a load of them claiming that they reduce costs when supply prices go down.

The government need to step in here and help people. They found billions to launder for their pals. They found billions for furlough.  They'll do f**k all though, and will vote themselves yet another raise. I wonder how many deaths it will take for people to stop voting for them? Not that it really matters, as Labour will be little, if anything, different should they ever gain power.

My fixed deal runs until April then onto the energy cap. 

I'm normally happy to let my DD credit build up for an occasional "payday" once a year. Will be using this to offset the rest of this year. Would be money I'd normally treat the family with. 

Expect these prices to the end of 2023 minimum. The way the price cap is calculated, it'll take a long time to flush out the high prices we see just now. Similar to how coefficients work for the football rankings. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Being lower than 5% isn’t going to make a great difference!

Just imagine how voluble you would be if the Scottish Government had gone ahead with a public electricity supply company.

How do you imagine we might protect those that seek to protect themselves and their families?

To help you, I'd like to suggest a modest three letter word beginning with t, ending with x and containing a vowel that isn't e, i, o or u

Also happening over here.

Just got my monthly leccy bill and it's up from ฿400 to ฿600.  Petrol has gone up 75% in the last 3 months. Gas has stayed the same.

Food prices have gone up about 25%. pork 100%.

That's a lot for the normal Thai.  Even too much for me with the pork.

Does anyone know how you would test an electricity meter for accuracy? Can it even be done?

I have all electric and a smart meter which does send reading but I also send additional ones each month to calculate the bill. The bills show my energy consumption going from an estimated of 3,500 kWh annually to what it currently says is 7,200 kWh.

the thing is that my consumption has been basically the same the whole time. I moved in March 2020 and have always worked from home, used the same appliances in the house in the same way. Yes I have the heating on a bit more in the winter months but it didn’t even rise that much last winter. I am beginning to wonder if the meter is correct. 

Apparently my use is the same is a 3 bedroom house and I’m in a small one bedroom flat. I just don’t see how it’s almost doubled when I am doing everything the same as before.

Edited by Jambomo

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Things that increasing now and will now be increasing more and more:

- Energy bills

- Council tax

- House prices

- Interest rates

- Fuel

- Transports costs

- Food prices

- Clothing

- Footwear

- N.I.

- Pint of beer and other drinks in a pub

- Vehicles

- Insurance of all kinds

- Entry to the football

- Phone tariffs

- Broadband

- Electronic goods

- Resturants/cafe/coffee shop prices

- Cinema tickets

- Digital downloads

- Subscriptions

Probably missed out a lot. The Conservatives, and probably most of Labour, are trying to smash the NHS and go to a model similar to the US where healthcare is a massive racket with ludicrously inflated prices on top of monthly insurance, as well. Remember, the scum in Westminster recently just 'wrote off' billions of pounds for nothing (i.e. given to themselves and their mates). That cash could have been used to help everyone with this recent energy increase. 

Any sensible politician will soon be making energy prices, and some sort of solution to them, a big part of their manifesto. A total tap in. I have little faith the mainstream parties will do that though, as they almost certainly make too much from it all.

I had a leaflet through my door from Labour yesterday telling me they'd solve the energy crisis. No detail on how they'd do that but I'm sure we can take their word for it.

24 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Does anyone know how you would test an electricity meter for accuracy? Can it even be done?

I have all electric and a smart meter which does send reading but I also send additional ones each month to calculate the bill. The bills show my energy consumption going from an estimated of 3,500 kWh annually to what it currently says is 7,200 kWh.

the thing is that my consumption has been basically the same the whole time. I moved in March 2020 and have always worked from home, used the same appliances in the house in the same way. Yes I have the heating on a bit more in the winter months but it didn’t even rise that much last winter. I am beginning to wonder if the meter is correct. 

Apparently my use is the same is a 3 bedroom house and I’m in a small one bedroom flat. I just don’t see how it’s almost doubled when I am doing everything the same as before.

When I was an installer, we used to get some 'Check Meter' jobs where a newly calibrated meter was linked to the current one for a week or so to see that they were in unison. Very, very rarely was a meter wrong. Think they still replace every 10 years to re-calibrate and ensure accuracy. 

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had a leaflet through my door from Labour yesterday telling me they'd solve the energy crisis. No detail on how they'd do that but I'm sure we can take their word for it.

As long as you have a garden, they will plant you a money tree.

Yesterday was not a good day. In addition to getting the Scottish gas email that doubled my gas bill estimate., O2 sent me an message to say my mobile bill is jumping by 7.8% based on RPI. This is in addition to the annual 3.9% rise. 

It seems to be never ending at moment. 

What can people do to fight against this complete injustice? Folk are going to go hungry or be unable to heat their homes. Some people might die. All the while the energy companies continue to make massive profits. It appears other countries in Europe are taking action to help soften the blow but the UK does nothing:

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/14/france-edf-cap-household-energy-bills