Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m moving house in April with council tax going up , mortgage repayments and insurances going up as well. Think me and the Mrs are going to be paying about £400 a month more because of all this.

Just as well you’ve taken on that second job laying laminate floor in Dundee then.

Spoiler

A3D99006-193E-4D45-AA67-94862082A6A6.thumb.jpeg.938c644c310d2d88eca57029d2f6fc30.jpeg

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's been an utterly shite series of events.

2020 - "We've increased Universal Credit by £20 a week, aren't we brilliant?"

2021 - "Yeah, it was always temporary, we're binning it"

2022 - "Yeah I know energy prices are skyrocketing. Here's a loan you HAVE to take from the state which will barely scratch the surface. Yeah i know you're probably on your arse paying back UC advances and various other horrendous deductions, but tough shit"

What a fucking binfire of a country the UK is.

I'm still on the old set up, so didn't get the uplift.

It's easy for them to point the finger at Russia when in reality it's all Tory pals posting record breaking profits whilst saying they've been footing the deficit in rising costs for years. Aren't we meant to have regulatory bodies that prevent this sort of extortion or are they just as corrupt as everyone else?

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Just as well you’ve taken on that second job laying laminate floor in Dundee then.

Hide contents

A3D99006-193E-4D45-AA67-94862082A6A6.thumb.jpeg.938c644c310d2d88eca57029d2f6fc30.jpeg

As some other poster on here once mentioned, an experienced floorer would have looked in the laundry basket instead!

Offt!! Just received an email from SSE informing me that my direct debit payments will be increasing as of March. Gas has risen around £30 per month to £100 while my electric has risen by £16 per month to £60. All in it's an increase of around £600 for the year.
Direct Debit could rise to £1000 a month and is irrelevant. Only energy kw unit prices are relevant.

Like me saying I still put £40 of petrol in the car as usual so the price is unchanged.

18 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Direct Debit could rise to £1000 a month and is irrelevant. Only energy kw unit prices are relevant.

Like me saying I still put £40 of petrol in the car as usual so the price is unchanged.

Buy you'd need to refill it more often, surely?

Ffs!!

Electric day energy (per kwh) rises from 21.89p per unit to 30.70p
Electric night energy (per kwh) rises from 15.44p to 20.18p per unit.
Estimated annual change £206.33

Gas unit rate (per kwh) rises from 4.01p to 7.33p
Estimated annual change £390.25

I’ve moaned about this elsewhere on here already but the company I’m with, Ecotricity, put their up on 5th November (probably so they can get the heavier winter use in- b*****ds).  It went from 23.43p per unit, up to 33.16p per unit.

My monthly bill has gone from £80 a month to £300. I work from home and honestly am thinking of going back 5 days as I honestly can’t afford this.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

It's easy for them to point the finger at Russia when in reality it's all Tory pals posting record breaking profits whilst saying they've been footing the deficit in rising costs for years. Aren't we meant to have regulatory bodies that prevent this sort of extortion or are they just as corrupt as everyone else?

Aye we are still exporting gas, whilst the price rockets.

No one can convince me that utilities shouldn't be nationalised. 

In October my contract came up for renewal and I did so, for 2 years. on a fixed tariff. Feel like I'm lucky as shortly after all this, the prices started climbing. 

Just an update on something I have posted about before on other threads - the Thermaflow system. Installed to council houses in non-gas areas of Falkirk about 10 years ago and led to massive increases in energy bills for people who are in deprived areas, along with poor performance and many breakdowns. The council have now said that these residents can change to an air source heat pump with solar panels and battery or, in some areas, get gas installed. 

I think this is good news? Folk going for the ASHP can get it in the next few months, folk getting gas need to wait 2 years at least. Not sure how good an air source heat pump is. In the meantime, if prices keep rocketing these folk (who were paying £400-600 pcm before the prices started climbing) will be even more screwed than before. 

I work in care supporting a guy with Autism who lives in his own house.
He got an email the other day from his energy supplier to advise his estimated annual gas bill was going up from £800 to £1400 and the electric from £1020 to £1450.
Cheapest fixed price deal available with his current supplier was £255 per month.

10 hours ago, red23 said:

yeah f**k living in the UK, where you can comfortably live your entire life never working. It's whats wrong with this country, we've no idea how good we have it.

Thanks for your input there. Unfortunately the views of some creepy VL aren't really that important right now, though I'm sure someone will tag you if that ever changes. 

Off you f**k. 

We fixed in October last year. Cost an extra £300 a year against the previous fix, which is obviously bad. I remember that Martin Lewis  putting out different advice at the time, instead encouraging everyone to stay on the standard variable tariff. Wonder how many people listened to him and have been subsequently stuffed? Fixes now are at least double that £300 and there are pretty big rises in the standing charge and the unit prices. 

Can't see the £150 rebate* or whatever it is cutting it for a lot of people. 

*loan

Edited by Michael W