2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

2 hours ago, AndyM said:

Dunfermline South not much of a surprise to anyone living here. Calder and Hilton have high local profiles and the SNP vote has held up well.

No surprise to see the Tory emptied. Ross paid the price for well publicised incident where during a local development meeting in relation to land at Duloch, a Tory Councillor fell asleep and then voted against the objections people were raising once he'd woken up. 

Good showing by Martin Wilcocks the local Independent.

I quite like Calder, he seems decent enough. No idea who the independent candidate was or what he stood for as got no leaflets or anything and he seemed to not have any presence online. I didn't know about the Tory at that meeting right enough. 

The problem with Alba was they let in all the Indy nutters who had an axe to grind with the SNP. They just seem to spend their time having a go at the SNP about cocks and fanny politics and getting plaudits from losers like Murdo Fraser. 

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Will Alba keep on going after this?  They are on a part with the Scottish Family Party and the Scottish Libertarians.

I think that all depends on how much money they’ll be pocketing from it 

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

The problem with Alba was they let in all the Indy nutters who had an axe to grind with the SNP. They just seem to spend their time having a go at the SNP about cocks and fanny politics and getting plaudits from losers like Murdo Fraser. 

Personally I don’t see that as a problem, I think it’s been brilliant for the SNP to offload those fruitcakes.

On a separate matter, is Dundee really Tory free (at least so far)?

The Tory that was just on the BBC talking some amount of pish, saying we can't spend too much because of how much Covid cost us. Completely missing the fact that we have written off several billion pounds, millions to Tory donors and many companies having over 100% increase in turn over yet to be subject to a windfall Covid tax.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Personally I don’t see that as a problem, I think it’s been brilliant for the SNP to offload those fruitcakes.

On a separate matter, is Dundee really Tory free (at least so far)?

So far. Ferry to go.

Can't see at least one Scott not getting in. 

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I quite like Calder, he seems decent enough. No idea who the independent candidate was or what he stood for as got no leaflets or anything and he seemed to not have any presence online. I didn't know about the Tory at that meeting right enough. 

Ah that was all to do with development that bit into parts of Calais wood and the supercampus they're building up past the Amazon plant.  The Independent candidate was basically the guy behind protecting Calais woods. Most of his support came from the Duloch Park area. There was a number of local objections about the development (like the 24 pump petrol station they wanted to build) and at the Zoom meeting the Tory Councillor for planning fell asleep.

I had no idea that some of my friends who are Pars fans could swear so much.😆

Edited by AndyM

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

So far. Ferry to go.

Can't see at least one Scott not getting in. 

We should punt the Ferry into P&K and bring Invergowrie back into Dundee.  Need to take some tips from the US on boundary gerrymandering.

No real change in my ward. The retiring independent has been replaced by another one. It's also nice to see former Tory MSP Mary Scanlon fail miserably.

Morven Reid stood on a platform of her being local and, erm, living there. She had almost zero policies / aims. How did over 600 folk think she was worthy of a vote?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

We should punt the Ferry into P&K and bring Invergowrie back into Dundee.  Need to take some tips from the US on boundary gerrymandering.

I propose a new ward of "Tayport, Tay Estuary, and Broughty Ferry".

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I think that all depends on how much money they’ll be pocketing from it 

How will they be making any money from getting 1% in local council elections.  Salmond has "temporarily" stepped down from his show on Russia Today.  Once Havney and McAskill lose their seats they will have no-one anywhere. 

They are basically a micro-Party. 

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How will they be making any money from getting 1% in local council elections.  Salmond has "temporarily" stepped down from his show on Russia Today.  Once Havney and McAskill lose their seats they will have no-one anywhere. 

They are basically a micro-Party. 

I was thinking more along the line of donations from its looney supporters.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Will Alba keep on going after this?  They are on a part with the Scottish Family Party and the Scottish Libertarians.

25 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

When they formed I'm fairly sure I said I thought they'd do one electoral cycle, fail to make any headway, the ship-jumpers would find themselves unelected, and then the penny would drop that they are nothing more than yet another niche party along the lines of the old Christian lot, Family Party etc. The only difference is that they are lead by a well kent face, but then so is every party that George Galloway forms, and they soon fade and implode as well.

You could tell by the shambolic launch vids/zoom thingies that this was nothing more than one man's ego-trip that he'd managed to rope a few single-issue obsessed mates into, and that seems to be pretty much the same story over a year on, only they are a few elected officials lighter and appear to have made no headway. I think they might make it to the next Westminster GE, but I honestly don't see the point because the very best I can see them doing is MacAskill or Hanvey clinging on to their seat through local popularity in much the same way Independents sometimes do, but I don't think they have a hope in hell of actually gaining anything. I'd be surprised if they could retain deposits the way they are going.

Where there might be scope for a more fundamentalist Indy supporting party is in a year or so’s time when Sturgeon asks for a referendum, is told to bolt and does very little about it. 

I think the next move would be to try and extract a referendum as a concession from Labour in a hung Parliament scenario, but you can easily see where someone will try to outflank the SNP, say we are going to organise a wildcat referendum and then do UDI, and then some of the more strongly inclined Indy voters might go for them. Chuck in some thinly veiled transphobia and the handful of weirdos that attracts.

I’d fancy Alba’s chances much better if the next election was a Holyrood one rather than a GE. At the GE all Scotland can really do is return a huge block of SNP MPs and hope they have sway if no party wins an overall majority (Although it’s looking likely that there will be a Lib Dem revival in the south of England so Labour may be able to form a coalition with them and exclude the SNP)