Jump to content

2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

*Which I have never, ever understood. How many cheeky chappies leave their wives while they're undergoing cancer treatment or arrange for journalists to be beaten? Or get sacked twice for lying to their employer(s)? All these happened well before he absofuckinglutely did not get Brexit done.

The way people engage with politicians has changed fundamentally. What you describe means that a Russian-minted liar, chancer, fraud and thief like Johnson would never have got near the top echelons of the Tory Party until around 10 years ago- before then he'd have been, at best, an eccentric backbencher in the mould of Sir Gerald Nabarro or Nicolas Fairbairn..

Tory-voting people know all this about the leadership, and they just don't care. Politics is increasingly transactional and appeals to old fashioned notions like the common good and decency, to a long track record of diligent public service,  just don't cut it any more. Look at Starmer. I have no time for the guy, but fundamentally he is "decent"- meaning reasonably fair minded and, well, boring. In an era of trivia and celebrity style personality a guy like that just doesn't cut through. They are simply too dull.

There's also an increasingly shattered notion of what "society" is, or should be. Add in a constant thick fog of disinformation and lies via the dead tree press and social media, and you get chancers and snake oil salesmen like Johnson and Farage, and the downright corrupt and evil, as you rightly characterise other cabinet members, running things, appearing to move the country in the direction right / far right voters want whilst simply enriching themselves and cronies / clients.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

To be honest, Scotland, Red Wall and Westminster/Wandsworth will pale into insignificance if SF and other Nationalists form the Assembly. The GFA agreement allows for a border referendum..

Is that possible? I thought the admin had to have a Nationalist/Unionist FM/dFM. 

Wonder if the DUP will even form part of the new executive? Seem to be bumping their gums about the EU protocol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Is that possible? I thought the admin had to have a Nationalist/Unionist FM/dFM. 

Wonder if the DUP will even form part of the new executive? Seem to be bumping their gums about the EU protocol.

The FM can be “other”, but the DFM has to be Unionist or Nationalist (and the opposite of the FM if they’re not “other”). 

Edited by The Master
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

To be honest, Scotland, Red Wall and Westminster/Wandsworth will pale into insignificance if SF and other Nationalists form the Assembly. The GFA agreement allows for a border referendum..

A United Ireland referendum relies on the NI Secretary, basically the UK Government, thinking it is likely to succeed. There is no process listed for this, so I doubt the Tories will be calling one soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Master said:

The FM can be “other”, but the DFM has to be Unionist or Nationalist (and the opposite of the FM if they’re not “other”). 

Interesting.

I think the DUP will come second but if Alliance can do it, would be interesting and funny to see the William Orangeman types 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Another incumbent Alba councillor goes with Jim McEleny losing his seat. From first on first preference votes as an SNP candidate in 2017, to last on first preference votes as an Alba candidate in 2022.

Behind the Tories. In Inverclyde.

Has the son been dumped yet? He needs punted as well, all I ever see is him spewing guff about wee Nic. 

Edited by dirty dingus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

SNP - 2 (nc)
LAB - 1 (nc)
LD - 1 (+1)
IND - 0 (-1)

Dundee council leader back in. Lib Dems picking up the retiring Lord Provost's seat.

SNP - 2 (nc)
LAB - 2 (nc)

Edited by The Master
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Interesting.

I think the DUP will come second but if Alliance can do it, would be interesting and funny to see the William Orangeman types 

Even if Alliance come second, the DUP (assuming they come third) still get the DFM nomination. But it would certainly spark a debate about the fairness of such a setup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

For England/the UK, I would say a Labour government is essential. Even a minority one, or coalition, or whatever. The Tories are so utterly abysmal that they need to go. And the only way England will go that way is with a Blair/Starmer type at the helm. 

Yep. Long game. Get into power, then bring in some policies which actually benefit the people of the country, not the non-dom cúnts who are happily raping it atm. And get RLB, John Trickett, and Richerd Burgon back on the FB, while finding a safe seat for Laura Pidcock😍. Actually, Laura will probably get her Durham seat back at the next GE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I completely agree with that but if I lived in England like WRK I would be very frustrated by the reality.

Frustrated doesn't even come close..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep. Long game. Get into power, then bring in some policies which actually benefit the people of the country, not the non-dom cúnts who are happily raping it atm. And get RLB, John Trickett, and Richerd Burgon back on the FB, while finding a safe seat for Laura Pidcock😍. Actually, Laura will probably get her Durham seat back at the next GE.

If Burgon is amongst the best that the Labour left have to offer then they are fucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Frustrated doesn't even come close..

Labour need 2 leaders, 1 for the left wing for the non metropolitan areas and 1 centrist to win the cities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

To be honest, Scotland, Red Wall and Westminster/Wandsworth will pale into insignificance if SF and other Nationalists form the Assembly. The GFA agreement allows for a border referendum..

I think you mean the Executive. And the nationalists can't form it on their own.

11 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Is that possible? I thought the admin had to have a Nationalist/Unionist FM/dFM. 

Wonder if the DUP will even form part of the new executive? Seem to be bumping their gums about the EU protocol.

It will be a very bad look if they don't. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, all the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

A United Ireland referendum relies on the NI Secretary, basically the UK Government, thinking it is likely to succeed. There is no process listed for this, so I doubt the Tories will be calling one soon. 

Surely it's a bit more complex from a ROI perspective than NI voting for a united Ireland, and ROI just going 'mon in then'?

Is there even a majority in ROI in favour of a united Ireland? A few ROI residents I've spoken to want absolutely no part of the sectarian shitshow in the North.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...