2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Reckon the Tories could ban fishing outright and those weirdo North Eastern backwaters would still happily vote them back in.

It's a strange one, there's loads of fishermen and their families who voted leave and can't bring themselves to believe they've been lied to.

It's due to selfishness and greed, I'll shed no tears when they continue to get shafted by the Tories.

When you look at how awful fraserburgh and Peterhead are it's incredible that they keep voting conservative. 

11 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Of course Starmer needs binned. Or he could cross the floor to where his ideas of corporate-funded Party Politics would be more welcome. Unfortunately, a Blair Tribute Act is the best we can hope for in the next Government. I suppose it'll be a (small) step in the right direction.

Never change, WRK. Never change. 

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Don’t think anyone can blame them for ditching the SNP given the ongoing ferry fiasco.

It’a a bit… bold… however to go Tory.

‘Do we actually need a ferry to Arran?’

That's a brand new ward with new boundaries. Can't read anything into the result really.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Don’t think anyone can blame them for ditching the SNP given the ongoing ferry fiasco.

It’a a bit… bold… however to go Tory.

‘Do we actually need a ferry to Arran?’

By voting Tory, they will get the dinghies, confiscated from channel.

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's the same in Corstorphine when it comes to National elections. They're just ideological Tories who can't quite bring themselves to vote Tory but are quietly happy for other people to do so.

Added a bit for you.

The big thing that I can (generally) see is the Tories are losing votes but no one party is picking them up. Labour, Green, Lib Dem and even SNP are benefitting from their drop. Probably not what Labour were hoping for. 

Dunfermline South not much of a surprise to anyone living here. Calder and Hilton have high local profiles and the SNP vote has held up well.

No surprise to see the Tory emptied. Ross paid the price for well publicised incident where during a local development meeting in relation to land at Duloch, a Tory Councillor fell asleep and then voted against the objections people were raising once he'd woken up. 

Good showing by Martin Wilcocks the local Independent.

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I wondered how long it would take for this to happen - Family Party 105, Abla 103 in Dunfermline South. Also the incumbent Tory here, who got the most first preference votes the last time - has been emptied by a second SNP.

Edited by AndyM

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Do you disagree?

For England/the UK, I would say a Labour government is essential. Even a minority one, or coalition, or whatever. The Tories are so utterly abysmal that they need to go. And the only way England will go that way is with a Blair/Starmer type at the helm. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

For England/the UK, I would say a Labour government is essential. Even a minority one, or coalition, or whatever. The Tories are so utterly abysmal that they need to go. And the only way England will go that way is with a Blair/Starmer type at the helm. 

I completely agree with that but if I lived in England like WRK I would be very frustrated by the reality.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Surprised they didn't try and deflect on Ukraine. 

They've also been very fortunate that the weird local authority system in England didn't land for them on a bad year. A lot of councils don't have elections at all as they are on "all out" elections and it isn't their turn, whilst many only have a handful of seats up for grabs because you end up voting three years out of four or some nonsense. Labour were actually defending a lot more seats than the Tories. 

This is a point which has been glossed over, especially in the context of "the tories are doing well up north". Eh, no they fucking aren't, and it's glorious to see. The minute you saw Dowden squirming on Burley's sofa this morning you knew what they know - Operation Save Big Dog has become Operation Save Our Own Skins. The problem they have with the less-engaged majority of the electorate is that Johnson was their "Waldo" - a character whose lies and poor performance would be excused by it being "just Boris". None of their potential next leaders have anything like the image needed to prevent collapse at the next GE. From misanthropic verging on actively evil (Patel) to demonstrably thick (Truss, Dorries and Raaaaab) to simply criminal (Hancock, Jenrick) or fraudulent (Javid, Sunak), none of them will appeal to Mr and Mrs Floating Voter. Without a leader who has that "cheeky chappie, what is he/she like"* appeal, they're fucked.

The good news is that Labour are probably going to need the SNP to form a robust Government. I wonder what the price for that deal would be?

*Which I have never, ever understood. How many cheeky chappies leave their wives while they're undergoing cancer treatment or arrange for journalists to be beaten? Or get sacked twice for lying to their employer(s)? All these happened well before he absofuckinglutely did not get Brexit done.

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The big thing that I can (generally) see is the Tories are losing votes but no one party is picking them up. Labour, Green, Lib Dem and even SNP are benefitting from their drop. Probably not what Labour were hoping for. 

Pretty demonstrable that people are voting against the Tories, rather than for any of the other parties.

Unfortunately, they won't have to do much to get the electorate back on side for the next GE.