2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Dundee council candidate posted about shouting abuse at the Pope and claimed 9/11 was an inside job.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20010909.snp-candidate-fire-claims-9-11-inside-job/?ref=twtrec

Got to love a good old social media trawl to find some shitposts.  Love it.

She should be binned for that.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe he missed out the apostrophe and there’s only one woman whose rights he’s fighting for.

It's remarkable how many of them complain bitterly about women being lectured to by men while, erm, being a man lecturing on a subject that the majority of women disagree with them on.

27 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see there’s a TUSC candidate and an independent running in Inverness Central. The independent runs the Alleycat cafe and has a very distinct moustache. He’ll probably be getting my first preference on that alone!

Sounds fair enough to judge candidates for public office based in their facial hair. Seemed to work out a while ago in Germany and Russia....  😁

On 22/03/2022 at 12:17, ICTChris said:

Dundee council candidate posted about shouting abuse at the Pope and claimed 9/11 was an inside job.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20010909.snp-candidate-fire-claims-9-11-inside-job/?ref=twtrec

Got to love a good old social media trawl to find some shitposts.  Love it.

Good call with the pope. 

On 21/03/2022 at 20:44, Duries Air Freshener said:

Last I heard, Alba were standing a decent number of candidates across the board.

First Alba candidate I've seen running in Skye.  Can't imagine them not running a few across the Highlands tbh.  The ISP are based in Nairn I think and a candidate in the Inverness West by-election last year along with the Libertarians.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

It doesn't pay like a full-time job though. 

The money's shite. I think a new Councillor that doesn't bag a Committee Convenership is on about £21,000 a year. f**k that for a game of dominoes when you've got constituents nipping your head about utter shite at all hours of the day and night. 

Of course you could take the Braden Davy approach and totally refuse to do your job for a year but still pick up the salary.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The money's shite. I think a new Councillor that doesn't bag a Committee Convenership is on about £21,000 a year. f**k that for a game of dominoes when you've got constituents nipping your head about utter shite at all hours of the day and night. 

Of course you could take the Braden Davy approach and totally refuse to do your job for a year but still pick up the salary.

Just had a quick nosey to see what it is they get 

Clicky

The basic annual pay for councillors from 1 April 2021 is £18,604, as set out in The Local Governance (Scotland) Act 2004 (Remuneration) Amendment Regulations 2021.

Part time pay for what should be a full time job

Explains why so many are of retirement age or very young looking to climb up the political ladder 

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Part time pay for what should be a full time job

How many actually treat it like a full time job though? Nearly all the actual work gets done by Council employees, if all they're doing is signing off on things with the odd vote and falling asleep at a minimum of committee meetings, 18 grand might not be too bad. Enough to run the Mackenzie family's coffee mornings and anti arts or cycling campaigns in Inverness anyway.

Edited by welshbairn

If you really do treat it as a full time job 18,000 a year is probably about the minimum wage. When it’s like that most of the people who’ll be standing will be the retirees and the already wealthy.

Edited by Highland Capital